Greatest Showman

LaffingBear
This topic is 2220 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw it today. Surprised to be the first to post about it.

Also surprised how much I liked it. I could nitpick at it... but overall, I really liked it.

One comment I'll make so its on record... while I dont see it making it as a broadway musical, I can see it becoming a vegas house production that stays around for years.

Well something needs to topple Cirque du Soleil.. Its played out... There's just so much you can do with flying aerialists, although I do appreciate the males in their tights with their hard bodies....

Just saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it. It had the barest of plots which basically was just there to string together musical numbers, but those numbers were fantastic!

I’ve been streaming the soundtrack on Spotify almost nonstop since and am contemplating going to a singalong screening

Been wanting to see this for weeks and finally got the chance Sunday. Went into it open minded and absolutely LOVED this movie!!! From opening scene to the end credits there wasn’t a single thing that I didn’t like about it. Truly enjoyed the music, the storyline (despite the fact that aspects of it were fictionalized), and the pace of which the movie was told. I’m not sure how they could have spent more time character building the “human oddities” without slowing down the pace of the movie though. I think one of my favorite quotes from the movie was “Men suffer more from imagining too little than too much”.

On a personal note, having been through some absolutely devastating times in 2016/2017, myself a victim of constant sexual harassment at work and the reverberating backlash I got and seemingly continue to get by some of the people around me because I spoke out, the movie’s anthem song struck a chord with me. I think it also touches everyone who is different, feels like an outcast, or just needed a voice in the form of song to grab ahold of:

I'm not a stranger to the dark,

Hide away, they say,

'Cause we don't want your broken parts;

I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars,

Run away, they say,

No one will love you as you are.

But, I won't let them break me down to dust,

I know that there's a place for us,

For we are glorious.

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down,

I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out,

I am brave, I am bruised,

I am who I'm meant to be...this is me!

Look out 'cause here I come,

And I'm marching on to the beat I drum,

I'm not scared to be seen,

I make no apologies...this is me!

Edited by BroadwayDave

Saw it today. Surprised to be the first to post about it.

Also surprised how much I liked it. I could nitpick at it... but overall, I really liked it.

One comment I'll make so its on record... while I dont see it making it as a broadway musical, I can see it becoming a vegas house production that stays around for years.

I fell in love wit Zac Efron all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3nMABVVVs

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the movie has some flaws, but it is still awesome. I can't get the soundtracks out of my head!

Plus, I have always been a fan of Hugh Jackman from the Wolverine series, and now I find him attractive because of his talents. He acted the character so well, and I can feel the spirit in his actings, just awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Been wanting to see this for weeks and finally got the chance Sunday. Went into it open minded and absolutely LOVED this movie!!! From opening scene to the end credits there wasn’t a single thing that I didn’t like about it. Truly enjoyed the music, the storyline (despite the fact that aspects of it were fictionalized), and the pace of which the movie was told. I’m not sure how they could have spent more time character building the “human oddities” without slowing down the pace of the movie though. I think one of my favorite quotes from the movie was “Men suffer more from imagining too little than too much”.

On a personal note, having been through some absolutely devastating times in 2016/2017, myself a victim of constant sexual harassment at work and the reverberating backlash I got and seemingly continue to get by some of the people around me because I spoke out, the movie’s anthem song struck a chord with me. I think it also touches everyone who is different, feels like an outcast, or just needed a voice in the form of song to grab ahold of:

I'm not a stranger to the dark,

Hide away, they say,

'Cause we don't want your broken parts;

I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars,

Run away, they say,

No one will love you as you are.

But, I won't let them break me down to dust,

I know that there's a place for us,

For we are glorious.

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down,

I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out,

I am brave, I am bruised,

I am who I'm meant to be...this is me!

Look out 'cause here I come,

And I'm marching on to the beat I drum,

I'm not scared to be seen,

I make no apologies...this is me!

Saw Keala Settle on Graham Norton and she sang this. What a voice! I have not seen the movie yet but definitely plan to soon. I guess Hugh Jackman convinced her to do the part and he appears digitally.