After the Pardon: Sheriff Joe Arpaio is Running for the Senate

Moondance

This topic is 1179 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

by Adam Edelman, NBC News, Jan 9 2018, 12:07 pm ET

Joe Arpaio — the controversial sheriff beloved by immigration hard-liners who was pardoned of criminal contempt charges by President Donald Trump last year — announced Tuesday he will run for U.S. Senate in Arizona.

"I am running for the U.S. Senate from the Great State of Arizona, for one unwavering reason: to support the agenda and policies of President Donald Trump in his mission to Make America Great Again," Arpaio tweeted.

Arpaio told NBC News that Washington needed "fresh blood" and that he hadn’t informed Trump of his decision to run.

The 85-year-old former sheriff is running for the seat being vacated by Sen. Jeff Flake, who announced in October he would not run for re-election, citing his dismay with Trump and the direction of the Republican Party.

Arpaio served as sheriff of Maricopa County, which contains Phoenix, for 24 years before losing his re-election bid last November. He is known for controversial policies — including jailing prisoners in a tent city and forcing detainees to wear pink underwear — that made him popular with some on the right.

He was a devoted supporter of Trump during the 2016 campaign, and in August he received a presidential pardon for a criminal contempt conviction stemming from him having ignored a judge's order not to detain suspected undocumented immigrants.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to see how this one plays out!

Donnie Two Scoops in Tucson stumping for Joe in the desert heat?

Priceless.

Whoever would have guessed that a TV reality star with no government experience, 6 bankruptcies, 5 children from 3 different marriages, 11 charges of sexual assault, 4,000+ lawsuits would turn out this bad?

Maybe he needs publicity to gin up contributions for attorneys fees.

If you mean Trump, he has B - I - L - L - I - O - N - S. How much more does he need? If worse comes to worse, he can always get on his knees and beg Melania for some of the pre-nup back (what are the chances of that?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Make America Sane Again

Not to jinx it, but are we going to see another red state turn blue?

Not sure about blue, but, hey, if all of us Arizonans of every size, shape and color turn out to vote, it could certainly be a purple state; the trick will be getting everyone out to vote in November; that normally does not happen, but these are not normal times!

If you mean Trump, he has B - I - L - L - I - O - N - S. How much more does he need? If worse comes to worse, he can always get on his knees and beg Melania for some of the pre-nup back (what are the chances of that?)

Does he really, though? His personal assessment of his net worth is, shall we say, highly exaggerated.

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Congressman Martha McSally who represents SE Arizona is also running for Flake's seat. She is a conservative "establishment" Republican. She may be the beneficiary of Arpaio's entry. Arpaio and Ward may split the lunatic fringe vote giving McSally a chance of taking the nomination. I have little doubt that that the seat will stay in Republican hands. I have numerous relatives in AZ and I shudder every time I look at one of their Facebook pages. I think Arizona will remain firmly Red.

always a publicity whore.....if elected, he'll be 92 at the end of his first term

just a little piece of history, for those interested, on why Arpaio was elected in the first place way back in 1993....a botched investigation of a mass murder at a local Buddhist temple swept him in.....

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/joe-arpaio-should-get-down-on-his-ancient-knees-and-thank-buddhist-temple-mass-murderer-johnathan-doody-6652203

Edited by azdr0710

Some Of My Daddy's Reviews (updated link coming soon-ish)

Pronouns: me, me, me

I want Joe Arpaio locked in a cell with Roy Moore. And both should wear the pink underwear that the Sherriff forced on Arizona inmates

It seems to be a career path for Republicans. Here are two more trying to go from prison to Congress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Grimm_(politician)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Blankenship

Hell hath no fury like a white conservative confronted with the unvarnished history of slavery and racism in America.

tumblr_inline_p2e6ct92S71r4zb1z_540.png

Joe Arpaio points to political traits he shares with Trump

JACQUES BILLEAUD Associated Press January 11

People have been comparing the political styles of President Donald Trump and former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio since the allies starting appearing together at campaign events.

The 85-year-old Arpaio noted those similarities Wednesday, a day after he announced his candidacy for the Senate seat now held by Republican Jeff Flake, a Trump critic who's not seeking re-election.

They include a focus on immigration enforcement, a knack for getting away with things that would sink the careers of other politicians and a talent for garnering news coverage, Arpaio said.

"Isn't it great to be compared to the president of the United States?" Arpaio told The Associated Press at his office in a Phoenix suburb.

It's Impossible to Overstate How Truly Vile Joe Arpaio Is

By Jack Moore, GQ, August 28, 2017

... As bad as Arpaio's history of detaining people for their skin color is, (and it's definitely terrible!), it's only the tip of the monstrous iceberg with him.

Joe Arpaio's jails were so brutal that more people hanged themselves there than at jails pretty much anywhere else, and that's just considering the deaths that were ruled suicides. In a Phoenix New Times report, nearly half of all deaths in Arpaio's jails were simply not explained.

The staff in Arpaio's jails would often not be willing to allow inmates proper medical attention, and this includes pregnant women. One of whom lost her baby due to the negligence of the jail staff and then had a guard protest when the hospital let her see her dead child before the funeral.

Arpaio reportedly once framed an innocent person for an assassination plot against him that Arpaio's team had invented for publicity. Does that seem crazy to you? Well it happened:

Entrapment defenses rarely succeed because they are exceedingly difficult to prove. James Saville's attorney, Ulises Ferragut, had to prove that the idea of killing the sheriff had started with law enforcement, that deputies or their agents urged Saville to commit the crime and that Saville was not predisposed to do it.

Ferragut proved all three elements, and James Saville walked out of Arpaio's jail a free man. After the trial, jurors told Ferragut they were convinced that Saville had been a pawn in an elaborate media ploy.

Arpaio's SWAT team once conducted a raid on a house expecting to find a weapons cache, only to have gotten the wrong house. They burned the house down in the process and forced the family's dog, which was trying to escape, back into the house to be burned alive. Again, this might seem over the top, and yet:

In less than 30 minutes, Arpaio's special forces unleashed an unprecedented wave of violence on this quiet community. Consider this:

Just after the tear gas canisters were shot, a fire erupted and destroyed a $250,000 home plus all the contents inside. (The home's occupants believe the tear gas canisters caused the fire. Phoenix fire officials say the blaze was probably started by a lighted candle that was knocked onto a bed during the confusion. And in the ultimate display of cruelty, a SWAT team member drove a dog trying to flee the home back into the inferno, where it met an agonizing death.

Deputies then reportedly laughed as the dog's owners came unglued as it perished in the blaze.

Burning down someone's house and killing their dog would be inappropriate even if they were at Al Capone's place, but again, THEY WERE AT THE WRONG HOUSE.

And then there was the incident with the cameras. You see Arpaio placed webcams in a woman's prison that could be viewed online. One of the cameras depicted inmates using the toilet. Here's the defense that Arpaio's attorney offered:

Jack MacIntyre, an attorney for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, told the Arizona Republic that a short partition blocked the camera's view of the toilet itself. No juveniles would have been displayed unless they "look older and lie to us."

And despite all of the above, there is still far more! Arpaio's department settled millions and millions of dollars in lawsuits because of inmates being beaten to death while guards stood by and watched. Arpaio has used prisoners for publicity stunts, making them march outside. Arpaio has called his jail "a concentration camp." And yet there's still far too many more awful things to list, not the least of which is the constant unlawful detaining of people because they have brown skin. This is a terrible monster who was only going to face up to six months in jail, and Donald Trump said, "Not on my watch."

It's Impossible to Overstate How Truly Vile Joe Arpaio Is

By Jack Moore, GQ, August 28, 2017

... As bad as Arpaio's history of detaining people for their skin color is, (and it's definitely terrible!), it's only the tip of the monstrous iceberg with him.

Joe Arpaio's jails were so brutal that more people hanged themselves there than at jails pretty much anywhere else, and that's just considering the deaths that were ruled suicides. In a Phoenix New Times report, nearly half of all deaths in Arpaio's jails were simply not explained.

The staff in Arpaio's jails would often not be willing to allow inmates proper medical attention, and this includes pregnant women. One of whom lost her baby due to the negligence of the jail staff and then had a guard protest when the hospital let her see her dead child before the funeral.

Arpaio reportedly once framed an innocent person for an assassination plot against him that Arpaio's team had invented for publicity. Does that seem crazy to you? Well it happened:

Entrapment defenses rarely succeed because they are exceedingly difficult to prove. James Saville's attorney, Ulises Ferragut, had to prove that the idea of killing the sheriff had started with law enforcement, that deputies or their agents urged Saville to commit the crime and that Saville was not predisposed to do it.

Ferragut proved all three elements, and James Saville walked out of Arpaio's jail a free man. After the trial, jurors told Ferragut they were convinced that Saville had been a pawn in an elaborate media ploy.

Arpaio's SWAT team once conducted a raid on a house expecting to find a weapons cache, only to have gotten the wrong house. They burned the house down in the process and forced the family's dog, which was trying to escape, back into the house to be burned alive. Again, this might seem over the top, and yet:

In less than 30 minutes, Arpaio's special forces unleashed an unprecedented wave of violence on this quiet community. Consider this:

Just after the tear gas canisters were shot, a fire erupted and destroyed a $250,000 home plus all the contents inside. (The home's occupants believe the tear gas canisters caused the fire. Phoenix fire officials say the blaze was probably started by a lighted candle that was knocked onto a bed during the confusion. And in the ultimate display of cruelty, a SWAT team member drove a dog trying to flee the home back into the inferno, where it met an agonizing death.

Deputies then reportedly laughed as the dog's owners came unglued as it perished in the blaze.

Burning down someone's house and killing their dog would be inappropriate even if they were at Al Capone's place, but again, THEY WERE AT THE WRONG HOUSE.

And then there was the incident with the cameras. You see Arpaio placed webcams in a woman's prison that could be viewed online. One of the cameras depicted inmates using the toilet. Here's the defense that Arpaio's attorney offered:

Jack MacIntyre, an attorney for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, told the Arizona Republic that a short partition blocked the camera's view of the toilet itself. No juveniles would have been displayed unless they "look older and lie to us."

And despite all of the above, there is still far more! Arpaio's department settled millions and millions of dollars in lawsuits because of inmates being beaten to death while guards stood by and watched. Arpaio has used prisoners for publicity stunts, making them march outside. Arpaio has called his jail "a concentration camp." And yet there's still far too many more awful things to list, not the least of which is the constant unlawful detaining of people because they have brown skin. This is a terrible monster who was only going to face up to six months in jail, and Donald Trump said, "Not on my watch."

The good news is that Arpaio will be around only if a majority of Arizona voters decide that he's really the kind of lowlife they want to represent them in Congress.

Of course, that's also the bad news. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

he good news is that Arpaio will be around only if a majority of Arizona voters decide that he's really the kind of lowlife they want to represent them in Congress.

Follow the money, honey. He's bound to have hefty legal bills past and present. And I suspect the publicity from this helps him pass on some dough to his children.

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

Follow the money, honey. He's bound to have hefty legal bills past and present. And I suspect the publicity from this helps him pass on some dough to his children.

I have little doubt that being a U. S. Senator works for Joe Arpaio, just as being President works for Donald Trump.

My question is how well it works for their constituents. Maybe their voters think it will help them off-gas some of their anger, but it wouldn't surprise me to find them at least as pissed off after the elections as they were before the elections. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sure the rest of us will be. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

Sherrif Joe was a guest on MSNBC earlier.

It was not the best of appearances. For starters he seems unaware that accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt, and by the way he's appealing. But he doesn't want to talk about legal questions. Except he did, and was wrong.

But his major "sell" in his bid for a Senate seat is TO SUPPORT DONALD TRUMP 100%.

Not sure that's the best electability position.

Edited by deej