NetFlix users

friendofsheila
This topic is 6744 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here's info about a class action suit settlement that effects all you Netflix customers.

Netflix lawsuit settlement details

Geektronica says: Netflix has settled a lawsuit with ... Frank Chavez, who spent $300 filing a suit complaining that you can't actually rent 'unlimited' DVDs from the company.

"Netflix apparently does throttle accounts that rent more than 12 DVDs a month, which they admit in their TOS. They do this so light users get priority over heavy users.

"The company is offering a one-month, one-disc free upgrade to all customers (which they will charge you for if you don't cancel after the month is over). Big w00t. Chavez got $2,000, and his lawyers got $2,528,000.

"Netflix fan reports, and NetflixSettlementSucks.com tells you how to opt out of the class. If more than 5% of members opt out, the decision will be invalidated."

Page with links to more details: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/02/netflix_lawsuit_sett.html

Here's info about a class action suit settlement that effects all you Netflix customers.

Netflix lawsuit settlement details

Geektronica says: Netflix has settled a lawsuit with ... Frank Chavez, who spent $300 filing a suit complaining that you can't actually rent 'unlimited' DVDs from the company.

"Netflix apparently does throttle accounts that rent more than 12 DVDs a month, which they admit in their TOS. They do this so light users get priority over heavy users.

"The company is offering a one-month, one-disc free upgrade to all customers (which they will charge you for if you don't cancel after the month is over). Big w00t. Chavez got $2,000, and his lawyers got $2,528,000.

"Netflix fan reports, and NetflixSettlementSucks.com tells you how to opt out of the class. If more than 5% of members opt out, the decision will be invalidated."

Page with links to more details: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/02/netflix_lawsuit_sett.html

As one of the "throttled"I left Netflix about 4-5 months ago after not recieving movies which were on my list for a 2 months(namely Motorcycle Diaries-but there were others)Never got a response to a letter I sent stating my dissatisfaction.

I do miss them since I miss out on a lot of small films that I would like to see-and since most broadcast TV is crap.

But this is a settlement!?!No this is a rollover and Netflix should be ashamed,as should be the lawyers represinting the plaintiffs.

So should I accept?If I opt out I will most likely get zip,I do not see them taking this case very much further.

As one of the "throttled"I left Netflix about 4-5 months ago after not recieving movies which were on my list for a 2 months(namely Motorcycle Diaries-but there were others)Never got a response to a letter I sent stating my dissatisfaction.

I do miss them since I miss out on a lot of small films that I would like to see-and since most broadcast TV is crap.

But this is a settlement!?!No this is a rollover and Netflix should be ashamed,as should be the lawyers represinting the plaintiffs.

So should I accept?If I opt out I will most likely get zip,I do not see them taking this case very much further.

I've been a 3-out-at-a-time Netflix subscriber for several years and was so pleased with their service that I made one of my best stock purchases a couple of years back. I used to belong to a second service as Netflix wasn't too strong on independent and foreign films, but cancelled it as the Netflix inventory improved greatly in terms of foreign, independent and gay titles. I also had to wait a bit for "The Motorcycle Diaries," but it was only about 3 weeks. At present I have more than 300 titles in my queue and all but one is "available now."

I've been a 3-out-at-a-time Netflix subscriber for several years and was so pleased with their service that I made one of my best stock purchases a couple of years back. I used to belong to a second service as Netflix wasn't too strong on independent and foreign films, but cancelled it as the Netflix inventory improved greatly in terms of foreign, independent and gay titles. I also had to wait a bit for "The Motorcycle Diaries," but it was only about 3 weeks. At present I have more than 300 titles in my queue and all but one is "available now."

Archived