Oprah for Pres in 2020?

Chuckball
This topic is 1363 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Would you support Oprah for President  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Oprah for President

• Yes
    • No
    • Oh, My Another Poll...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want an inspirational figure as ceremonial head of government? Lobby for a constitutional monarch or a parliamentary government.

Some entertainers move into politics, but it's been a mixed bag and the presidency is not the place to start, especially if you want more rational policy and legislations than what's on offer now.

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

In many posts, I have mentioned Oprah as an example of how to eliminate poverty. In her speech, she mentioned the secret to her own rise: HOPE.

That word sums up what not only the poor but our entire society needs. It seems to be missing in today's politics. At one time, hope is what America and its politicians stood for. Think FDR's "Happy Days Are Here Again." Think Ronald Regan's "Shining City on the Hill."

In my past posts, I have put Oprah's "hope" into a broader context with Viktor Frankl's work. He saw that as the key to survival in the horrors of Nazi concentration camps. In those camps where people who lost everything and whose treatment was vile, still had one thing the Nazis could not take away from them: how a person responds to their situtation. Those who had "hope" were the survivors.

(The current film, "Darkest Hour" shows that Churchill, alone among Britan's leaders, gave "hope" to the country and led it to victory.)

To the people who have been sexually abused that are now coming forward, they are offering "hope" to others that change is coming and the horrors of sexual harassment will no longer be tolerated and diminished in their occurance in the future.

The Oprah speech was one of the more powerful of our time. Remember how one speech could make a political career when Hillary mocked Obama's accomplishments with: "What did he ever do besides make a speech?" What that nine minute plus speech showed is that "hope" is what whoever runs needs to give in 2020. No one can deliver that message than Oprah. She has an amazing life story that shows how one can rise from a hard-life beginning to be a success in all aspects of life.

She is more than a great black woman, she is a great human being. This country could not do better than have her as a president. If she ran, expect to see an amazing landslide as people vote for "hope."

In looking at the current crop of "Washington leaders," she tops them all and has my vote.

You want an inspirational figure as ceremonial head of government? Lobby for a constitutional monarch or a parliamentary government.

Some entertainers move into politics, but it's been a mixed bag and the presidency is not the place to start, especially if you want more rational policy and legislations than what's on offer now.

The presidency takes a combination of skills and being inspirational is just one skill. Being "smart" is no guarantee of being a good president but just another skill needed (Carter was believed to have one of the highest IQ's but one of the worst presidencies). Having organizational skills is another skill needed but no guarantee if success (think: Hoover who gained fame for organizing relief efforts). Etc,

Oprah has shown a combination of skills that makes me think she could have a successful oresidency. She could easily master policy and legislation.

I have opted written how my favorite "modern" president is Truman, failed businessman, given a political job as a favor, no great history in the Senate, no college degree or signs of great intellect. But what he did have was a very strong sense of inner values. He had a very strong sense inside of right and wrong, his values were firm and not dependent on the "moral fashions" of the day. To me, that strong sense of values is what a president needs and Oprah shows she has that inside.

In many posts, I have mentioned Oprah as an example of how to eliminate poverty. In her speech, she mentioned the secret to her own rise: HOPE.

That word sums up what not only the poor but our entire society needs. It seems to be missing in today's politics. At one time, hope is what America and its politicians stood for. Think FDR's "Happy Days Are Here Again." Think Ronald Regan's "Shining City on the Hill."

In my past posts, I have put Oprah's "hope" into a broader context with Viktor Frankl's work. He saw that as the key to survival in the horrors of Nazi concentration camps. In those camps where people who lost everything and whose treatment was vile, still had one thing the Nazis could not take away from them: how a person responds to their situtation. Those who had "hope" were the survivors.

(The current film, "Darkest Hour" shows that Churchill, alone among Britan's leaders, gave "hope" to the country and led it to victory.)

To the people who have been sexually abused that are now coming forward, they are offering "hope" to others that change is coming and the horrors of sexual harassment will no longer be tolerated and diminished in their occurance in the future.

The Oprah speech was one of the more powerful of our time. Remember how one speech could make a political career when Hillary mocked Obama's accomplishments with: "What did he ever do besides make a speech?" What that nine minute plus speech showed is that "hope" is what whoever runs needs to give in 2020. No one can deliver that message than Oprah. She has an amazing life story that shows how one can rise from a hard-life beginning to be a success in all aspects of life.

She is more than a great black woman, she is a great human being. This country could not do better than have her as a president. If she ran, expect to see an amazing landslide as people vote for "hope."

In looking at the current crop of "Washington leaders," she tops them all and has my vote.

Oprah is VERY smart... A REAL genius (not the Trump kind) She saw an opportunity at the Globes, she seized it, ran with it, and Killed It ! She also knows how to rally the troops..... AND, she'll let them eat Bread !

I always thought that Stedman would make a Great First Lady in Waiting, since we know that Gail would be FIRST...... I SUPPORT OPRAH !!!! (But I aint really a fan of the Weight Watchers "points" plan) :p

Why would Oprah want to follow in the Donald's foot steps, from TV entertainer to President?

It made sense with Trump, since he sucked at TV.

Oprah is actually good at it.

Edited by stevenkesslar

@bigjoey

Interesting post at 10:05 AM.

Can't imagine Oprah wanting to invite Republican power mongers to investigate her business realm and her private life, and bring those closest to her into the fray as well. Even though a lot of "fake" shit would be thrown her way, the fake shit does have a way of affecting boots on the ground reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6qQM054B0

Nobody posted it, so here's the speech. She hit the ball out of the park.

I don't think she's running for President. Like the #Me Too movement, her speech transcended politics.

Having said that, this will go down as another one of those Oprah moments, pointing to the horizon, like when she called out Obama as "The One" in the dark final days of W.

As a cultural speech about endurance and hope, it also reminds me of this moment from less than a decade ago.

Shift sure happened, didn't it? ;)

Why would Oprah want to follow in the Donald's from steps, from TV entertainer to President?

It made sense with Trump, since he sucked at TV.

Oprah is actually good at it.

WHY ? Because some people just like challenge and Accomplishment. And some people truly care about and want to HELP others.... Isnt that enough of a reason ? It's the reason I got into cocksucking. I recognized the need, and wanted to fill it.

Im just tired of all these dang award shows bein opportunities for political stump speeches

Did you tell that to The Boss? Is that why he's gone and delayed his Fake News Awards?

I saw his Sunday tweet saying, “The Fake News Awards, those going to the most corrupt & biased of the Mainstream Media, will be presented to the losers on Wednesday, January 17th, rather than this coming Monday.”

It's just a wild guess, but I'll bet he was planning to use those awards to, y'know, make a political stump speech -- until you went and ruined his horrible, no good, very bad day by telling him that that kind of thing gets your tail in a curl.

Poor guy. Probably needed half a dozen extra cheeseburgers to settle his nerves.

Did you tell that to The Boss? Is that why he's gone and delayed his Fake News Awards?

I saw his Sunday tweet saying, “The Fake News Awards, those going to the most corrupt & biased of the Mainstream Media, will be presented to the losers on Wednesday, January 17th, rather than this coming Monday.”

It's just a wild guess, but I'll bet he was planning to use those awards to, y'know, make a political stump speech -- until you went and ruined his horrible, no good, very bad day by telling him that that kind of thing gets your tail in a curl.

Poor guy. Probably needed half a dozen extra cheeseburgers to settle his nerves.

Shuck sneers and gives Moondance the raspberry

“Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

-The Marx Brothers

The problem is not entertainers moving into politics. As any other contributors to society they can make terrific politicians.

The problem is when politics moves into entertainment and we get trapped in the show.

I am not sure what Oprah would be.

The problem is not entertainers moving into politics. As any other contributors to society they can make terrific politicians.

The problem is when politics moves into entertainment and we get trapped in the show.

I am not sure what Oprah would be.

When one difference would be that when Oprah would speak, you would listen, as opposed to when Trump speaks and you want to turn off the sound. Most of the time he sounds like a petulant child with limited command of English.

When one difference would be that when Oprah would speak, you would listen, as opposed to when Trump speaks and you want to turn off the sound. Most of the time he sounds like a petulant child with limited command of English.

That's why he hired me to smooth out the limited command of English

-The Marx Brothers

I turn the sound off when YOU come on too ! I refuse to have both my eyes AND ears assaulted.

Mah performances, er um I mean, press briefings are for the benefit of the vast, diverse MAGA base. You dang liberals dont wanna be briefed anyway. You just lahk ta whine!

-The Marx Brothers