Internet Phone Services

Guest CTguy
This topic is 6731 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I use Vonage. Service is excellent and I finally have inept SBC out of my home completely.

Vonage lets you forward calls to another number when the internet connection is down, so I forward to my cell.

Best $15.99/month I spend.

> It runs on Windows, Apple, and Linux.

I should clarify. For my setup, no computer is used.

When I bought my Linksys wireless router, it came with VOIP built in. It has two standard phone jacks on the back. Just plug in any normal telephone and it's done.

Vonage works through the internet. Does that mean you computer must always be on and connected to the internet? Does it still work when your computer is off?

>Does it still work when your computer is off?

In my case, yes, because the connection is from the router instead of the computer.

Obviously if you have something dependent on the computer, your computer would need to be on. (As I said Vonage lets you designate a forwarding number for times when your internet phone isn't reachable.)

I wouldn't recommend VOIP for anyone that doesn't have a broadband (read: always on) internet connection although it does work with dial-up. (More and more of the traveling working boys are using Skype while on the road.)

Guest ncm2169

Can Vonage be used in this situation? My roomie and I recently connected both of our computers to my single broadband connection via a router. We also both cutoff our landlines and now use only our cell phones. Any advice?

The short answer is yes. ;-)

If you have broadband internet access, VOIP is an option. You might have to buy equipment to use it, but it's an option.

You need SOME device to get from telelphone to internet. Some of the VOIP vendors have special "phones" they sell. Some routers have VOIP built in so you can use a standard phone.

YMMV

Yes, it could work for you. You need to figure out what sort of equipment you'll need to take advantage of it.

i have vonage.. i have it with my dsl internet (comcast). I signed up with vonage on their website. They gave me the necessary router for free with my service. You simply connect the cable line from the wall to your modem.. then from modem to their router, then the router goes to both your computer and to any regular phone. AND the best part is that for only $25.95 per month, I get unlimited local call, unlimited long distance (including calls to Canada) plus all the usual goodies like call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail, etc.

The only downside I have seen so far is that if your cable is prone to going out during storms, etc, you also loose phone service. But other than that, I am a vonage fan.

Another thing about Vonage is they'll send voicemails to your email as .WAV files.

I tend to be away from the phone a LOT more than I'm away from an internet connection. (It sounds weird, but it's true.)

My cutie Luis in NYC can leave me voicemail bon mots any time, and no matter where I am I can receive them.

Archived