NYC-The Big Cup is DEAD?!

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6388 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

and I need a replacement. Where is the best place to fritter away my time reading and drinking coffee in the company of gay new york men also reading and drinking coffee and cruising each other now that the Big Cup closed because, as my NYC connections told me yesterday and confirmed today, the rent was trippled?

I hated the attitude at The Big Cup, but I did enjoy the fraternity.

Any place in the Village other than The Factory, where I hate the employees worth exploring? Any other relaxed gay coffee shops in Chelsea? I know there are gay coffee shops (don't ask me where) around the Upper WS and Hell's Kitchen, but I want one in Chelsea and/or the Village. Assistance?

http://www.RodHagen.com

Fun affectionate guy in Los Angeles.

-Rod Hagen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>That Boring looking clothing line is all over.

Now, a more exciting clothing line is Rufskin jeans. I bought a pair for my trip to Montreal last week and they (and I ;-) ) were quite popular. They're the best Look-At-My-Ass pants I've ever found. I'm gonna get me some more...

http://www.rufskin.com/images_product/charly.dist_back__josh_.jpg http://www.rufskin.com/images_product/vincent_dirty_back_josh_.jpg http://www.rufskin.com/images_product/vincent_distrron_side.jpg

Dear Mr. Hagen,

There is nothing remotely like "The Big Cup" in Manhattan because, in order for it to exist, it would require a Chelsea location. "The Big Cup" was specifically a gay-ghetto experience. And like most neighborhoods anywhere near Midtown, real-estate prices are going through the roof and, when this happens; happy, lively, convivial neighborhoods are destroyed. In this over-bloated-price climate, you can't make enough money to pay the rent in the serving-gay-men-coffee-for-an-opportunity-to-cruise business, at least not at this present (peaceful) time.

You'll find many cruisable gay men at Starbucks because their taste in brew is very specific and they won't settle for anything less, even if it means passing on Chelsea eye-candy and attitude. But these men won't linger for long because, once they get their taste and caffeine fix, they're off with their busy lives.

Your more sophisticated gay men; the successful ones with great careers, great minds, great humor, and most of the money, don't hang much in coffee bars and probably wouldn't be caught dead in "The Big Cup." Because, coffee to them is a connoisseur's treat: it's something you savor alone in the comfort of your well-decorated home or you share it with a great group of friends at a home-made, Sunday brunch.

It's in these homes you're likely to find various brands like: Sant' Eustachio, Tazzo D'Oro, and Morganti from Rome; Tata from Asia; Malongo La Grande Reserve from the French Riviera; and Doutor from Japan. "The Big Cup" didn't carry these brands and, therefore, couldn't attract a better clientele. A street-front business needs paying (not lingering) customers to survive here.

Business is always a numbers game.

Edgy, Lower East Side, gay men flock to "Higher Grounds Cafe," at 700 East 9th St. It has terrific "quality-coffee" press and there's plenty of cruising going on there with many actual pick-ups. It's a VERY different experience when compared to "The Big Cup" but, once you're out of Chelsea, gay life in NYC offers a whole new perspective on what it means to be a gay New Yorker. I like choices and I like trying them all.

Good luck with your search.

RE: "Higher Grounds Cafe"

Correction: The owner has since changed the name to "9th Street Espresso." Changing names once you create a successful business is the dumbest thing to do. But some businesses can survive that risk and continue to thrive (although I would NEVER recommend it). "9th Street Espresso" is one of those places that keeps on grinding for the Lower East Side boys (whom I find much sexier than many of the gym-bunnies prancing around 8th Avenue). I like a gritty/artsy look, whether it's on a guy or a gal.

>the Lower East Side boys

>(whom I find much sexier than many of the gym-bunnies prancing

>around 8th Avenue). I like a gritty/artsy look

And what about us gritty/artsy gym bunnies? :p

http://www.osmond.com/donnyandmarie/images/dm-os-2.jpg

I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock & roll...

I'm a little bit Chelsea, I'm a little bit Avenue A...

RE: "Gym Bunnies"

"And what about us gritty/artsy gym bunnies?"

Well, I admit, the combination can be fabulous but, by my definition, a "gym bunny" is an over-sized gay man (imagine a 42" television set with legs) with a voice like Fran Drescher and a gate like a television set with legs. No amount of gritty artsy-ness can save that visual. These guys are truly better off bald.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate muscle. I just don't like to have sex with a guy who's too thick and much bigger than me. I'm almost too big (but I love the feeling of a good workout). Balance means a lot to me. I like it when my date looks great in and out of an Armani suit. A 42-44 jacket is the perfect type for me.

ps I loved the images from the ad campaign you posted, especially the guy with the darker pair and the khaki pair. I would never wear jeans like that but, if I had either model's ass, I'm sure I might consider it.

>"The Big Cup" was specifically a gay-ghetto

>experience. And like most neighborhoods anywhere near Midtown,

>real-estate prices are going through the roof and, when this

>happens; happy, lively, convivial neighborhoods are destroyed.

SO what's a boy supposed to do when he's got cheap-o rent but no longer really likes the neighborhood? :o

9th Street Espresso sold me a cup of the best espresso I've ever had in the U.S. Thanks for the recommendation. I was the only gay guy in the place, so it's not my new NYC gay coffee hang out, or even just coffee hang out, but all the window reviews are correct, the espresso is the best I've found. THANKS!

As far as my gay coffee quest goes: The View, the bar next to the dead Big Cup, serves coffee morning and afternoon. I peaked in and it seemed as if some of the old crowd, and employees, are there now. However, I don't like bars, and it wasn't crowded enough, so I checked out The Factory in the village. It has most certainly become more crowded since The Big Cup closed. I think The Factory is probably the next big Gay cup of coffee, too bad it's not in Chelsea. Thanks everyone!

RH

Archived