Death Match!

friendofsheila
This topic is 6744 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Python eats Everglades gator, bursts! My mind boggled when I saw this.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/1005/5061180_240X180.jpg

It's probable that the python was a pet that got away or was set loose. Cheez I hate it when nitwits not only acquire non-native non-domesticated animals but then they set them loose. Someone save us from people who get a "cool idea" in their noodle and act on it without thinking.

The disturbing thing about this story is that pythons are proliferating in the Everglades and upsetting the natural order. The alligator is no longer king. Granted, the python didn't exactly win this battle but neither did the gator!

Yikes!

Yes, the paper this morning had a picture of the latest python caught - after it had eaten an 18 pound Siamese cat, which was plainly visible as a large swelling in the snake's anatomy. However, the article says authorities find 3 or 4 pythons per year in Miami, not 150. If it is a consolation, you are much more likely to be eaten by an alligator in Miami Dade County than swallowed by a python.

Hey Karl, I don't believe I said anything about Miami or Miami Dade County. I was recanting information in the original article as copied below. They are not my facts, just those from the newpaper.

"It is unknown how many pythons are competing with the thousands of alligators in the Everglades, but at least 150 have been captured in the past two years, said Joe Wasilewski, a wildlife biologist and crocodile tracker."

Sorry, I assumed we were reading the same article. The one in the Sun-Sentinel this morning didn't say anything about 150, but quoted the animal warden for Miami Dade (or whatever) who said they find three or four per year in Miami Dade. The python that ate the cat and was pictured in today's paper was found in NW Miami Dade. They generally eat small and medium sized pets and avoid humans. (I once had a cousin who had a pet python, only about five feet long, and he would feed it a live large white rat once a month.)

Guest Tristan

Flyguy, what I heard on the local Miami/Fort Lauderdale TV news a few days ago supports the figure you quoted.

Let's remember that the Everglades cross multiple counties. It's not a county problem, but an Everglades problem. And while you may be more likely to be attacked/eaten by a gator, the Pythons are messing up the eco system.

The problem, as described in the TV report, is that people are buying a lot of exotic baby pets from pet shops. When they get too large to handle, they dump them in the swamp. It seems to me that it shouldn't be legal to import or sell these pets to individuals in the States. I would make an exception for zoos and similar institutions who know how to take care of these animals in a controlled environment.

Guest zipperzone

RE: Yikes!

>Yes, the paper this morning had a picture of the latest

>python caught - after it had eaten an 18 pound Siamese cat,

>which was plainly visible as a large swelling in the snake's

>anatomy. However, the article says authorities find 3 or 4

>pythons per year in Miami, not 150. If it is a consolation,

>you are much more likely to be eaten by an alligator in Miami

>Dade County than swallowed by a python.

Actually - I HAVE been eaten by a snake in Miami - and it only cost me $250.

Guest zipperzone

RE: Yikes!

>What was his name??

He was calling himself Andrew - never got a last name and who knows if the first name was really his - probably not.

Archived