Any Baseball Fans???

VaHawk
This topic is 6771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

IMO, this was a great season, especially with my Nationals hanging in there all year in the pennant race, despite a low payroll and no owner! GO NATS!, but as they say "wait til next year!".

Any thoughts from any other baseball fans about the playoffs, and who, in turn, would like to make an early prediction???

I'll start with mine, and don't laugh at me or berate me later, as it is early in the post season, and anything can happen in the post season in baseball, which is one of the many reasons, imho, that baseball is the best game in sports.

ALCS: Yankees over White Sox, 4-2

NLCS: Cardinals over Astros 4-3

World Series: Cardinals over Yankees 4-2

But, then again, I'm biased, as the Cardinals are my favorite team, outside of my new team the Nats, in the National League and the Yankees are my favorite team in the American League, outside of the A's (my very favorite team of all time!). :7

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In descending order 1 to 8, I'm rooting for the followng teams to win the World Series this year:

1. St. Louis Cardinals (its been over 20 years since the last time)

2. Chicago White Sox (1913 was a long time ago!!)

3. New York Yankees (always a classy champion!)

4. Houston Astros (never is even longer than 92 years ago!)

5. Atlanta Braves (14 straight division, but only 1 world title!)

6. San Diego Padres (only their 2nd WS and a real underdog!)

7. Los Angeles Angels (the Anaheim fans would love a 2nd title!)

8. Boston Red Sox (too many "whiney" fans, especially bandwagoneers)

As a Jawja native, we have grown bored with the Braves, even the fan attendance sucks. The team did their usual and won the division, but they will wimp out like the pussies they are. I'm surprised they even won a game against the Astros as they did last night. Houston will definitely dump the Bravos.

St Louis will win the NL pennant, but not the series. They have great players but don't have the attitude of a champion. I'm thinking either the ChiSox or the Bronx Bombers will take the title. The AL pennant winner will win the Series.

The wild card teams have dominates the last few years.

This year it would be good to see the teams that compiled the two best records in baseball during the regular season -- St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox -- meet in the World Series. Seems like the Cardinals are in the playoffs every year, but the team has not won the World series since 1982. The White Sox had not won a post season home game since 1959 before they beat the Red Sox the other day. The downside is the TV network distain for mid west team, obviously they do not produce ratings like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Hawk: I believe you have a few facts wrong. The last White Sox win was 1917, the Padres would be in their third WS (don't forget the 4-0 loss to Detroit in 1984, as well as in 1998 to the Yankees), and they are now the Los Angeles Angels, despite the lawsuit by the city of Anaheim to make them retain the "Anaheim Angels" as their name. Since I always root for the underdog (years of living in Philadelphia have conditioned me), I would like to see Chicago or Houston finally win a WS--San Diego is just too pathetic even for me to stomach. However, my gut feeling is that it will be the Yankees winning it against either St. Louis or Atlanta.

My father was a lifelong Yankee-hater, but one of my happiest childhood memories is of his excitement when he got home from Yankee Stadium after seeing Roy Larsen's perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers (his team) in the 1956 WS.

Happy to see the White Sox move up. It's a long time coming.

Very happy to see the Angels tonight at Yankee Stadium.

It could turn out to be an interesting series.

With regards to the White Sox, we seem to be in an era of baseball where teams long held out of post season finals, are playing through.

Last year the Red Sox broke the jinx, and this year the White Sox are finally back in the post season in a big way.

Can help ultimately be on the way for deej's hapless Cubbies? Nah, the age of miracles is over?

Forget Chipper, Kippy. I can give you 8 better reasons to be a Braves fan. Francouer, Langerhans, McCann, Farnsworth, Davies, Laroche (average looking but obviously superhung), Reitsma, and Orr. Francouer and Orr would definitely be the best in the sack. They won't win the series, but they make baseball a more interesting spectator sport. }(

RE: This guy can play ball with me anytime

Thanks for the pics, JH, as Brady was one of my favorite Orioles, if you get my drift. Actually, there were many, many rumors when he played for the Orioles that he is gay. He used to take the Baltimore metro to the park, dressed in lycra biker shorts and roller blades. :) (could anything be gayer than that?). :o

Too bad he isn't an active player anymore. He also used to have a hot website, which I believe some of these pictures came from.

RE: This guy can play ball with me anytime

He sure is hot and was a great fan favorite while in Baltimore. He is single, recently had a daughter (3yrs I think) and is still reputed to be at least a part time batter for our team. there are a number of fan sites with these pics and some others which I couldn't link to because the sites had exceeded their allotted hits for the MONTH!

Guest rohale

I'm hoping the Angeles are able to beat the Yankees later today and advance to the ALCS. Hopefully it'll be like a repeat of 2002. The odds were stacked up against the Angeles and yet they managed to pull of an upset against the Yankees. If history repeats itself for this year, then it'll be great for Angels owner Arte Moreno, Mike Scioscia, the rest of the team as well as the fans.

If the Yankees win tonights game and win a potential game 5 on Monday in Anaheim, then they will have to face Boston, these two teams are the biggest spenders and probably the two biggest TV draws. I'm sure the Yankees would rather avoid thier rivals Boston and particularily in the offseason. Still I'm hoping the Angeles end the Yankees and once again Mr Steinbrenner can weep for his team

Ro

Guest rohale

>The Red Sox, eh? I hope the Angels play tonight is as

>accurate as your post!:) :) :)

Fine I got it wrong, I wasn't really focusing on what I wanted to type in my first response. I meant to say Chicago. As for how the Angels will do against the Yankees, we'll find out quite soon.

"I meant to say Chicago"

As they say on CraigsList, I call bullshit! You meant the Red Sox, but are just another bandwagon fan, rooting for whoever is the "darling" of the moment, just like all those Red Sox fans last year! If you didn't mean the Red Sox, then why was the rest of your post all about East Coast teams and big payrolls as the Chicago White Sox are neither! :7

GO YANKEES! But, I'd settle for Lucky's idea of a consolation prize! :o

>"I meant to say Chicago"

>

>As they say on CraigsList, I call bullshit! You meant the Red

>Sox, but are just another bandwagon fan, rooting for whoever

>is the "darling" of the moment, just like all those Red Sox

>fans last year! If you didn't mean the Red Sox, then why was

>the rest of your post all about East Coast teams and big

>payrolls as the Chicago White Sox are neither! :7

>

>GO YANKEES! But, I'd settle for Lucky's idea of a consolation

>prize! :o

I'm human and I made a mistake, hey it happens. As for being a bandwagon fan for the darling team of the moment. Nope not at all, I like the Los Angeles Angels, so you can basically catogerise myself as an Angels fan. As for the Red Sox and White Sox, I couldn't care less for either team.

Yeah, you're a REAL Angels fan, as that must explain why you continuosly spelled it Angeles??? :7 Perhaps you should limit your exultations to English soccer teams, as your postings indicate that you don't know anything about American baseball teams???? :7

YEAH YANKEES!!!!!! Kick the halos off those Angels in the next game! :7 :7 :7

>Yeah, you're a REAL Angels fan, as that must explain why you

>continuosly spelled it Angeles??? :7 Perhaps you should

>limit your exultations to English soccer teams, as your

>postings indicate that you don't know anything about American

>baseball teams???? :7

>

>YEAH YANKEES!!!!!! Kick the halos off those Angels in the next

>game! :7 :7 :

Yeah I did spell Angels wrong, but only in my first post. As for baseball itself, I happen to like the sport. Since I currently reside in Southern California, the only two teams that I like are the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels. As for English football, I grew up with the sport and absolutely love it with a great passion. Much in the same way you probably like baseball. As to my knowledge or therefore a lack of concerning American Baseball, I always like to suprise people by how much I know.

Every once in a while, someone will post a sports question or is inquiring for opinions on the MC. On the odd occassion if the interest is there then I'll respond. What I try to do for the most part is post my opinions or thoughts on various sports websites. As to your suggestion that I should perhaps limit to just responding to English football qustions. I dont think so, I prefer my approach which is to respond to a question that may catch my attention.

As for the Yankees, still one more game to go, so dont jump for joy just yet.

Ro

Rohale, I do believe that I offended you, which was not my intent.

From your postings, I assumed that you are English, and as such, my comments were based upon that simplistic observation! I KNOW you would shame me on "futbol" :) facts, as imo, soccer, ala "futbol" is the boringest sport of all time (wtf, DC United has won more MSL titles than any other team and is in the playoffs, again this year!, in defense of last year's title). Can I get a BIG YAWN from any Americans that give a shit? :o

You stated:

"As to my knowledge or therefore a lack of concerning American Baseball, I always like to suprise people by how much I know.

I, personally LOVE this statement! Can we compete, off-line of course, as we wouldn't want to bore all the other denizens of this site!? No, then I'll challenge you right here, right now, on this very site, and you can fire the first volley! :)

"As for the Yankees, still one more game to go, so dont jump for joy just yet."

Where/and How did I jump for joy?? :7 , as rooting for the Yankees didn't imply anything of the kind on my part. Now, if the Yankees win the next game, then you may be battered senseless with my blue and white pinstriped pom poms! :7

>Rohale, I do believe that I offended you, which was not my

>intent.

You did not offend me what so ever, if you had, we'd be trading some very nasty barbs at eachother by now. It hasn't happened and probably wont.

>

>From your postings, I assumed that you are English, and as

>such, my comments were based upon that simplistic observat

Iam English and football tends to be treated like a religion in Europe. People in that part of the world tend to get upset over football results. To go in a different direction, it's funny that you mention football being boring for you. Since I moved to America, this something I've had to get used to. From an ego point of view, it hasn't been easy, but I've had to adjust to the negative opinions about football. I'm sure there are people from the States who have traveled abroad to a country like Britain or maybe another Western European and had to face criticism about American football. I'm sure it must be a shock to the system to have to absorb a different point of view.

>You stated:

>"As to my knowledge or therefore a lack of concerning American

>Baseball, I always like to suprise people by how much I know.

>

>I, personally LOVE this statement! Can we compete, off-line

>of course, as we wouldn't want to bore all the other denizens

>of this site!? No, then I'll challenge you right here, right

>now, on this very site, and you can fire the first volley! :)

I'd love to compete with you offline whenever time permits and that way we'll be out of harms way and also away from the MC.

>"As for the Yankees, still one more game to go, so dont jump

>for joy just yet."

>

>Where/and How did I jump for joy?? :7 , as rooting for the

>Yankees didn't imply anything of the kind on my part. Now, if

>the Yankees win the next game, then you may be battered

>senseless with my blue and white pinstriped pom poms! :7

Alright I jumped the gun, I apologise for that. Still if the Angels win todays game, then you may end on the receiving end of the pom poms.

Rohale

Thank you! :7 I hope this isn't offensive, but damn!, your postings only reenforce my personal experiences, in that I have never met an English man, that I didn't like! :7 Now, please don't ask me about my experiences with English women! :7 Sorry, no offense intended towards your "mum".

Archived