London Question

jasoncarter_dfw
This topic is 6753 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm thinking about going to London for a long weekend in November...where would be a good part of town to stay in that would be both convenient to clients, and close to popular gay nightlife areas (I have to have some "Jason" time, of course!)? I would prefer something I could book as a flight+hotel deal on hotwire, priceline, etc... Thanks! :)

- Jason Carter - Dallas, TX

- jasoncarter53@hotmail.com

- (214) 274-8127

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always stay at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel on Gloucester Square. Located in Kennisington-Chelsea. You can walk to Earls Court in twenty minutes, or one stop on the train. It is a new modern hotel and very nice. London hotels can be a real dump with closet like rooms. I like to stick to the new modern hotels if I can. Rooms in November are about 92 British Pounds per night. A word of warning, London is one of the most expensive cities in the World. Taxi rides are a small fortune, stick to the Underground, Mini Cabs or walk. I have also used The Rembrandt Hotel on Thurloe Place in Knightsbridge, across from the Victoria and Albert Museum. A Sarova Hotel. Thirty minute walk from Harrod's Department Store. The place has been up dated and has a swimming pool.

The best would be Priceline/Hotwire Soho/Mayfair region. All of the places there will be within walking distance of most of the gay watering holes, as well as the theaters. Most of the London regions have fairly good Underground access, however. You can get to most places fairly quickly from the Westminster region as well.

Based on Philadelphia, London's underground may not "scare you" but based on their recent history, there is plenty to worry about taking it! Frankly, if I were going to have to make a trip that required either a taxi or the tube in London, at this time I would take a taxi for the peace of mind element.

Of course, some will say "don't let the terrorists change your way of living" but these are usually politicians who ride around in armed limousines and have body guards. I worked a lot in London in the 1970's and believe me, the terrorists then had us all looking over our shoulders. :-(

Hey Jason:

I stayed at The PhilBeach Hotel in the Earl's Court Section of London and it was very nice but that was many years ago. My neighbor Paul went there two years ago and said now it was run down and had a lot of drag queens running in and out.

Hey - when are you coming back to Premier for a visit? Many of your long time clients have asked.

Tony

Jason, I just returned from London a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Marriot Park Lane. I used FF points for the stay as prices in London are VERY high. It's walkable to just about everywhere if the weather is nice. One piece of advice, try and get a room that includes breakfast. Most "Hot" breakfast at the major hotels will cost about 40 dollars American.

Hi Jason---Check the American Airlines Website. Just yesterday I got a notice of a deal from DFW to London for $526 and it included 3 nites hotel.

Also, go to Orbitz. I found lots of DFW-LHR (Heathrow) flights at good prices. (using United/Lufthansa the cheapest was under $500 and included all taxes and fees). The outbound was on United and inbound was on Lufthansa, with a direct leg from Frankfurt to DFW. Was thinking about booking that and seeing Frankfurt, too.

Anyway, lots of fall fare sales out there!

Hey there Tony, thanks for the recommendation! I'm hoping to plan a trip back up to Premier before the end of the year. I just closed on one of my listings in my real estate practice, so I'm a little more flexible now to do some traveling. I'll be in touch when I have some dates for you.

- Jason Carter - Dallas, TX

- jasoncarter53@hotmail.com

- (214) 274-8127

>Hey Jason:

>

>I stayed at The PhilBeach Hotel in the Earl's Court Section of

>London and it was very nice but that was many years ago. My

>neighbor Paul went there two years ago and said now it was run

>down and had a lot of drag queens running in and out.

>

>Hey - when are you coming back to Premier for a visit? Many of

>your long time clients have asked.

>

>Tony

There are gay bars (pubs and clubs and bathhouses) all over London, but the gay centre is definitely in Soho; Earls Court is second. You can rent a small apartment in Soho for a reasonable sum (cheaper than most hotels and more privacy) for outlet4holidays.com.

>Based on Philadelphia, London's underground may not "scare

>you" but based on their recent history, there is plenty to

>worry about taking it! Frankly, if I were going to have to

>make a trip that required either a taxi or the tube in London,

>at this time I would take a taxi for the peace of mind

>element.

>

You're more likely to be killed in an auto accident in the taxi than in the Underground. How many tens of millions of passengers does the Underground serve each year?

I dont want to burst your bubble in any way or form. You might want to think about extending your stay by an extra day or two, if you have the time to do so. If you were to stay a weekend, before you even know it, within a blink of an eye the weekend is over. You may end up feeling a bit of a let down just because of time constraints. Especially if you are one of those who enjoys being a tourist, then you'll definitely need a lot more time. It's just a thought I threw out there. What ever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck in your November stay within the UK.

Wherever you happen to stay, you wont have a problem with transportation, whether it be London Transport, the Underground or the taxi service. In terms of accommodations, not everybody likes to stay in Central London itself

If you happen to be one of those who would rather avoid the trappings of inner London and maybe prefer the peace and quiet as opposed to the hustle and bustle of London itself, but still have access to Central London Then you just might want to take into consideration of staying in Greater Outer London. There are lots of towns to choose from. You might find Richmond, Kingston Vale and Kingston Hill to be of good taste, as well as Hampton Hill. Even Wimbledon works for some people as well as Raynes Parks. If you're very brave, Putney. Again you want have any difficulty with transportation.

Rohale

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a difference between the UNDERGROUND and the TUBE?

I'll be there during third week in November and would like to be able to take the underground/tube? whatever it is called from Heathrow--is there anyplace anyone can recommend that is next to the underground/tube? to/from Heathrow for an easy entry and exit to avoid traffic?

I'd like something newer, very clean and well located.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Is there a difference between the UNDERGROUND and the TUBE?

I'll be there during third week in November and would like to be able to take the underground/tube? whatever it is called from Heathrow--is there anyplace anyone can recommend that is next to the underground/tube? to/from Heathrow for an easy entry and exit to avoid traffic?

I'd like something newer, very clean and well located.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

There is an express train that goes from both airports into London if that is what you are talking about. There are plenty of Hotels around the airports and the trains leave from the airports themselves. Most airport hotels have buses running to the airport 24 hours a day. Hope this helps.

Sorry DC Man, forgot about the "Tube" question. I believe the Tube and Underground are the same thing. Its the subway system that operates for London and the surrounding areas. I don't believe it goes to the airports, the express trains are used for that.

Tube to Heathrow

The Piccadilly Line runs through the city and out to Heathrow, so you can get on a tube train at Heathrow and go all the way in to the city. But it takes a while; the express train is much faster. There is only the express train from Gatwick downtown. Just google Piccadilly Line, and you will get a map, all stations, etc. Home pages for each hotel usually list how close they are to which tube stations.

Moderately Priced Hotels

Go to biddingfortravel.com and see which hotels are available for $65 - $95. Then go to priceline.com and bid. Look at hotel websites for maps and closest tube stations. Have your map of London handy and look at the location. If you don't have a London map yet, get one at B&N or Border's or go on-line and look; but you should have one handy in paper form to carry with you.

Tube and Underground

The "tube" and the "underground" are the same thing. Go to this address for a map of London with entire system shown. Heathrow Airport is at the bottom left of the map. As you see, the Piccadilly Line (Blue Line) takes you right into the center of the city, so it is very easy to use. GLOUCESTER ROAD is a great place to be with easy access to everything and every place.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.gif

Archived