Movie Help--Gay Mr. Ripley

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6793 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Two years ago or so there was a version of The Talented Mr. Ripley--a man, I think a Hustler, moves in to circle a higher society populated exclusively by rich gay guys. He pretends to be someone else eventually almost believing he is that someone. It's a squarely gay The Talented, but for the fucking life of me I can not remember the title.

Help?

In 1960 there was Purple Noon and Alain Delon. Fans of Purple Noon and 1960s French crime cinema should really enjoy it!.

and In 1999: The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon.

Purple Noon and The Talented Mr. Ripley are the same story by Patricia Highsmith. Purple Noon is more erotic.

You'll probably find both on DVD.

Patricia Highsmith

They have been working on making some of the later books (where Ripley is married or living with a woman, I forget which, it's been a while since I read the book) and living in France, and convinces someone else to do the crime for him, into a film. Like so many things in the film industry, it is considered in production, but the story is actually good and would make a good thriller or drame, which Matt Damon seems to do better at than he does at sex or romantic roles.

>I haven't had the chance to see "The Talented Mr. Ripley",

>but someone told me that Matt Damon's character waaaas gay. Is

>that true?

Personally, I thought The Talented Mr. Ripley was fantastic. A tour de force for all involved. Superb acting and direction, and absolutely delicious cinematography. And, yes, Matt Damon's character was gay. (Sigh....)

-BobbyB

Several of the Ripley books are combined in "The American Friend," a late '70s European film directed by Wim Wenders. Sadly, Dennis Hopper plays Ripley in a way that's all wrong for the character. Otherwise, the film is good and I would recommend it. Highsmith wrote five Ripley books, but the last two ("The Boy Who Followed Ripley" and "Ripley Under Water" are not prime Ripley).

RE: Highsmith herself

Actually, as I suppose you know and are just teasing me, I'm very happy she's a gay woman. But, she did have her odd moments from what I read. Kept pet snails in her purse. But that was back in the days when people brought up with no doors on their closets sometimes had trouble accepting the fact that they suddenly had a handle for coming out.

Guest ringtoss

>Hi Rod. I think the film you mean is called "AKA." At

>least, that's one of its names (aliases)--it has different

>titles in the U.K. and the U.S., but don't we all. It was

>much better than that dreadful Mr Ripley movie.

I've got it in two formats as well...

AKA - Lies are Like Wishes is released in full screen style, single camera focus.

AKA Triptych puts three film frames for each scene up on the screen, allowing the viewer multiple perspectives and greater emphasis on mood for each scene. A bit daunting to watch at first, but so well worth it.

If you've seen the first, I would strongly recommend the second. The nuance makes for a completely different perspective of the film.

Archived