Actor Bob Denver

Guest rohale
This topic is 6788 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bob Denver who was probably most familiar with audiences worldwide as the ever bumbling but lovable Gilligan died last week at the age of 70. I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions or words to say about the passing of one of television's great classic comedy actors. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Ro

At age 47, I recall a childhood where Bob Denver played an imporant role! Every night after school I would come home to watch reruns of Gilligan's Island at 4:30PM followed by Hogan's Heroes at 5:00PM. This was my routine for a number of years and I never grew tired of the mindless and lovable comedy that Denver personified. My day may have difficult (as days often are for little gay boys!) but all always ended well on Gilligan's Island-- with a few laughs to boot!

;-)

Peace,

Kipp

One of tv's greatest comic actors?????? I wouldn't go that far, when there were others, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Richard Deacon, Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, for example, who would fit that description much better, imo. But he is definitely one of the most memorable, due to endless reruns of Gilligan's Island, a very stereotyped, inane pile of garbage so typical of 60's television sitcoms.

I personally liked him better as Maynard Krebs in the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. He was funny as hell in that role, as the prototypical Beatnik of the late 50's. "WORK?????!!!", now that is classic TV at it's best! :-)

It's my understanding that Mr. Denver grew to despise his role as a hapless, bumbling fool (don't we all?)... he became so synonymous with the character that he could never escape it.

Oh well, I suppose there are worse destinies than to be:

Forever Gilligan

He could've been Forever Jan Brady!

Forever,

La Trix

>Gilligan's Island, a very stereotyped, inane pile of garbage

I disagree. Derek and I have all three seasons on DVD and it still makes us laugh out loud. Sure, the situations are ridiculous but the characters are believable and funny and consistent and lovable. It takes great acting to deliver silly lines in sillier situations and make them seem real...and get laughs...and remain popular for 40 years. I think Bob Denver and the other six were brilliant. And I always wanted to be Gilligan because everyone loved him and all I ever wanted was to be loved (cue the violins). :p

No offense intended, as everybody has different tastes, and I respect your right to have yours.

But disclaimer aside, I'm not the least bit surprised by your opinion on Gilligan's Island, as you LOVE the Brady Bunch, which imo, is the nastiest pile of garbage to ever hit the small screen since the invention of television. Trite, cliched, boy vs girl inane pablum! But I did love the BB movies, as they lampooned the silliness of the original tv show to sheer perfection!!!

>I'm not the least bit surprised by your

>opinion on Gilligan's Island, as you LOVE the Brady Bunch

I wasn't offended at all; I didn't create these shows so I don't care who loves 'em or hates 'em. But btw, I just received the Season Three DVD's of the Brady Bunch and yes, I'm loving it. This is the best season, where they go to the Grand Canyon, cut a record, Marcia rewrites Romeo and Juliet, Davy Jones kisses her, the family makes a Safe Soap commercial, Peter says "pork chops and applesauce" and Jan says "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" :7

Archived