Anyone Affected By Suicide?

Avalon
This topic is 1541 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A family friend jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge many years ago.

For those interested, the documentary "The Bridge" is an excellent review of suicide from the GG Bridge.

At youtube, search "the bridge 2006 full documentary" for the free full show. First few minutes will haunt you and suck you in for the rest of the show.

Edited by azdr0710

A family friend jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge many years ago.

For those interested, the documentary "The Bridge" is an excellent review of suicide from the GG Bridge.

At youtube, search "the bridge 2006 full documentary" for the free full show. First few minutes will haunt you and suck you in for the rest of the show.

Such a powerful film/documentary!

Someone I used to work with committed suicide with a gun. His finances had deteriorated, again, and we think he was fearful of no longer being accepted in the high society circles he hung out in. Sure, there are some people that maybe wouldn't have been "friends" with him after he could no longer afford regularly dining at the most expensive restaurants in town or he downsized his home to a less expensive zip code. Those people, I think, would have been the minority and they aren't friends. His wife and children definitely miss him and would have accepted him regardless of the size of his bank account.

I knew a guy who killed himself at about 40. He had been in Iraq and got a concussion that led to CTE and he was not willing to live out his days like that. I didn't see him during the CTE so I don't know the extent of it, but from what I've read about football players with it, can't say I blame him for taking matters into his own hands.

I have known 4. One guy from high school killed himself during our college years. Two older men preferred a pistol rather than their doc's cancer treatments. And one guy younger than me whose death is a total mystery to his family. He had a beautiful family, no known marital problems, no known side relations, no suspected malfeasance at work or other criminal activity, no known medical, physical or mental problems, no messages, letters, or clues. His wife found him hanging on a rope in his mancave. She still has no idea why he killed himself two years later.

My sister and nephew. My sister hung herself knowing her son would find her. Narcissistic to the max. My other nephew jumped from a train trellis. He had been homeless and was turned away from a mental hospital.

Both upset my mother for the rest of her life.

Edited by LADoug1

A college friend waa diagnosed with a terminal condition. Telling only his ex-wife, who supported his decision, he quit his job, cashed out his retirement, and spent almost a year spending his money on whatever struck his fancy. Then, when he was broke, he shot himself. It was sad to think he couldn't share his situation with anyone else, but he didn't want to be talked out of it so withdrew from his circle of friends.

He left an online screed about how horrible life was and how he'd always known he'd end up killing himself. Very hard to read. I had no idea how darkly he saw things, and regret that.

He left an online screed about how horrible life was and how he'd always known he'd end up killing himself. Very hard to read. I had no idea how darkly he saw things, and regret that.

That's incredibly sad. Life is rarely as sad or unbearable as we think it is. The sad thing is that people don't realise that there are others who would help them, and that their suffering is not unique.

• 2 years later...

Usually suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There is help!!

WASHINGTON—Americans would be able to dial 988 to reach a suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline under a proposal approved Thursday by the Federal Communications Commission.

The new three-digit dialing code is designed to be an easier-to-remember version of an existing toll-free number, 1-800-273-TALK, known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Dialing 988 would connect callers to the lifeline, which routes calls to a nearby crisis center run by an organization designated to answer the call.

My sister and nephew. My sister hung herself knowing her son would find her. Narcissistic to the max. My other nephew jumped from a train trellis. He had been homeless and was turned away from a mental hospital.

Both upset my mother for the rest of her life.

My sister hung herself too, 40 years ago....