Brobeck Mountain Trailer

FrancoDiSantisxxx
This topic is 6814 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have not gone to see The Constant Gardner[/] nor am I sure I will, but the trailer for Brobeck Montain (both of these are Focus Features movies, an NBC Universal subsidiary) is supposed to be playing in front of it.

So I spent a few minutes looking for it on line. Normally, this takes a quick Goggle search and any number of site from iMDB to Yahoo Movies to ComingSoon have all sorts of information - pictures, trailers, etc. Suprisingly, what I discovered was that many of these sites either are not posting the trailer and if they did, they removed it at the film studio's request. CNN had it on their site and it is no longer there, not even searchable as ever having been there. A teaser version of it played on Entertainment Tonight a few weeks ago, in mid-August, and "screen caps" (i.e., digital images captured from a video recording of the broadcast) can be found here: http://www.heathbaby.com/images/categories.php?cat_id=276

At some point, presumably, Focus Features will do something with the "official" web site, but surprisingly, even though you can find teaser trailers and web site info for next summer's DaVinci Code and for this winter's Harry Potter, all focus features has is a very generic poster: http://www.brokebackmountainmovie.com/

There is an interesting video clip from a BBC broadcast about all of this, including the fear of a "gay" Hollywood love story, here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/shared/player/player.stm?title=Hollywood%20fears%20over%20gay%20love%20story&clipurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da680023f10/nb/09012da6800242b5_16x9_nb!asx&cs=news

iMDB which is always an excellent source for all things filmatic, does provide this link, however, I could not get any of them to work.

Fortunately, highly obsessed young girls worldwide have even far more time on their hands than I appear to this afternoon (picture Dougie in a poodle skirt and some ornamental hair barrettes). This will only work if you have Quicktime, but it does and will work (and apparently Focus has yet to sic its lawyers on this young lady):

http://www.iheartjakemedia.com/videos/brokebackmountain.mov

There is a kiss, between Heath Ledger and his beard, a lot of higging (picture the sex life of the gay guy from Melrose Place) and some oblique references to forbidden things and secrets. I doubt they meant Karl Rove and Ambassador Wilson's wife.

Brokeback Mountain Trailer

The trailer actually looks pretty good, and I'll probably see the movie.

There are enough scenes ("You didn't go up there to go FISHING!!!!" or "Dammit why can't I quit you????") it looks like enough of the original story is in place to get the point across.

Of course, only seeing it will tell for sure.

RE: Brokeback Mountain Trailer

I also saw the trailer when I went to see The Constant Gardener on Sunday. I loved Annie Proulx's story when it ran in The New Yorker and I am really hoping Ang Lee has not watered down the gay content. The trailer looked terrific, and the opening in NYC has been announced for Dec. 9.

Saw Constant Gardner in NORWALK!8 people in the audience-I was the youngest(whoopee)Liked the film-did not love it.Needed more charechter development and better editing.Photography was great and Ralph Fines was very good.

Brokeback Mountain has been involved in many lawsuits-including those instigated by Piroulx and Larry MacNulty(sp?sorry)(who was brought in to butch it up as well as fill it out-it was a very short story)but there is something there still.

I thought Constant Gardener was pretty good. I didn't read the book so I was "untainted". I found the story completely believable. All of the jumping back and forth in time was a little confusing, but my friend who has read the book said that it is the same way. I found all of the handheld camera effects to be a little dizzying though.

As for Brokeback Mountain, I think it just opened at the Venice Film Festival and according to the Australian reviews Heath Ledger gives the performance of a lifetime. According to a story in the Melbourne Age "But it is Ang Lee's controversial gay cowboy flick, Brokeback Mountain, which is sure to cause a stir as Ledger shares more than a few sexy on-screen kisses with American co-star Jake Gyllenhaal."

The trailer did look pretty good. This new film with Keanu Reeves called Thumbsucker looks like it might be interesting as well.

It is playing at the Telluride (Colo) Film Festival right now, and I'm anxiously awaiting a review of it in the local papers.....a friend told me the trailer (shown with Constant Gardener) looked very promising......God, I hope it lives up to Annie Proulx'x short story.....one of the best I've read in the last ten years. Should be required reading for any literate person.

Guest VanBCGuy

It is debuts at the Toronto International Film Festival Monday. On "Canada AM" this morning, it got some very positive comments, especially Heath Ledger's performance.

Should be some reviews soon......

Keep in mind,everybody, that "The Wedding Banquet" was the 1993(?) film that made Ang Lee a recongnizable name. The theme was most definitely gay but the presentation was tame enough that it "could" be successful in the general release market. There certainly was NOT a lot of physical contact between the two main characters.

With the above in mind I don't have very high expectations for Brobeck Mountain. I am expecting a look here, a kiss there and possibly a touch or two but not much more

Jake looks unbelievably hot shirtless, standing on a bridge in the trailer. I wonder how deeply he researched the part.

Piqued by the trailer, I came home and read the story. My initial impression is that the men Proulx wrote about were not young Hollywood hunks. Instead, rough hewn Montana guys with buck teeth and body odor. I think the latter works better in battling stereotypes -- gay men are everywhere, not just in hot ads in Vanity Fair. Still, I'll go see it.

Today's (Friday's) Wall St. Journal, covering Telluride (sp?) film fest, gives the film a strongly favorable review.

I think they should change the title to "Bareback Mountain." I'm sure those guys weren't fucking with condoms, the first time anyway.

Lankypeters

Thank You Laurent..The "Publicity" Machines have started with Keith Ledger. It will be interesting to see IF either Guys, go on a "Promo" Tour for this Movie. Can't wait to see how they would handle Leno or Letterman about their Characters! From what I have read about the original Story, Tommy Lee Jones and Kris Kristofferson would have fit the "Descriptions" of the Cowboys better! lol :+

Outside of U.S I am sure it will do Extremely well. But in the U.S. as we all know the Subject Matter "ain't gonna fly".

2 Cowboys getting it on, is not the "American" way! Of course after watching "OLN Cowboy Bull Rider's" I do wish it was! Dam those Guys are Goodlooking, with Great Butts, from all the sqeezing of the legs! LOL

"Golden Globes"(Euro Voters) might give The Film a little something though. :+

>Outside of U.S I am sure it will do Extremely well. But in

>the U.S. as we all know the Subject Matter "ain't gonna fly".

>

>2 Cowboys getting it on, is not the "American" way! Of course

>after watching "OLN Cowboy Bull Rider's" I do wish it was! Dam

>those Guys are Goodlooking, with Great Butts, from all the

>sqeezing of the legs! LOL

>"Golden Globes"(Euro Voters) might give The Film a little

>something though. :+

Have you read the story?

Archived