Free Credit Report For Everyone In Eastern USA Starting Sept 1

ValleyDwellerNorth
This topic is 6758 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

I am sure this is old news to many of you. However, the light bulb was just turned on for me this morning listening to my local radio station.

There is a new federal law allowing every American to get a free copy of their credit report once a year. Check the website above as you can only get it during a certain time of the year depending on where you live. Tomorrow starts for NY and many other Eastern states.

This website is also informative.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/credit/ycr_free_reports.htm

I just received mine. NO CATCHES AND NO ONE SELLING YOU SHIT! Check it out.

I was able to get mine today!

Just my opinions and recommendations after doing this.

You will have the option to get your credit report from all three:

1) Experian - AWESOME! Nice breakdown of everything, very clear and very concise.

2) Equifax - cumbersome but OK.

3) Transunion - I didn't even try after the first screen. You had to make an account and all this bullshit. The account is free but I have no patience anymore. I need rage management.

Experian's report is the best by far.

Now, you won't be getting your FICA score. That is like a grade for your credit. However, they all charge a nominal fee for that. If you are friendly with the staff at your local bank they can tell you that score if you really need it. However, when you see your Experian report you WILL KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT if your credit report is OK or in the need of help.

AND I AM NOT A FINANCIAL WIZARD BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION so please correct any of my info, add to it, etc.

I got it through transunion. The report was well laid out and very understandable. I pulled experian as well. the transunion one is laid out just like a real report. i work in banking so i see them everyday and experian vs transunion, transunion is better. it's easy to read (well they both are)but in my opinion it's the better one.

experian does let you see your previous address' going back futher than transunion however. i forget i lived in idaho at one time. LOL.

AND experian lets you put a personal note on your report. don't know if it is just experian's report or the 2 others as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Business Week had an intersting little article in its Sept 19 issue part of which I'll paraphrase here:

"THE REAL COST OF A FREE CREDIT CHECK"

......consumers are finding that "free" also means dodging pitches for plenty of fee-based services........The site is easy to navigate, yielding a gratis list of current or delinquent loans, credit card payments and so on.......Choose a free report from Equifax, and up pops a chance to pay $6.95 for your credit score. Click "no thanks" and you get two more paid offers. Experian.... offers such services as "Triple Alert which lets you know for $4.95 a month if someone is probing your credit. The bottom line.....most folks don't need the extras and should stick with the no-charge credit report."

ag

Since there are 3 main Credit Agencies and you can get 1 per year the best thing to do is get one now from one of the agencies. Then in 3-4 months check another agency and then check the last agency later in the year. Then a few months later it should be a new year and you start all over. This became available in our area a few months ago and I was able to get a report that I printed off line. It's about time to check a second agency for their report on me.

Archived