Visiting Vancouver

nate_sf
This topic is 6792 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My bf and I are going to be going up to Vancouver BC a few times over the next few months and were wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to stay, fun places to go, etc. I've done a search through the archives but haven't come up with anything. It's been so long since I've been there, and that was on a family vacation (!)... this will be much different! Any suggestions?

Guest VanBCGuy

I'll give it a shot.....

As far as places to stay, somewhere in the Westend is best, you're close to all the action, transportation etc. Not sure what you are looking for, but I could suggest the Oceanside Hotel, 1 block from English Bay, or the Sunset Inn (has kitchens). For less money, maybe look at Bosman's (same owner as the Oceanside, try negociating the price if you are staying longer). The Sandman Inn on Davie Street is another choice.

My "must-do" list would include Granville Island (take the water taxi), Lighthouse Park, Stanley Park, Vancouver Art Gallery (great Rodin exhibition on now), a drive along the coast to Squamish and/or Whislter, the grouse grind (if you're a hiker), Jericho Beach, shopping along 4th Avenue.

Don't rent a car, it will hard/expensive to park and public trnsportation is frequent and cheap.

For clubs/bars, the Cambie is fun, with a bit of an edge to it. Doolin's Pub (cute straight crowd). Gay clubs - depends what you like, but there are lots along Davie or close to it (Odyssey, Celebrities are the dance/younger crowd; Numbers and the Pumpjack are older, the Dufferin is for decrepit). Best to pick up a copy of Xtra West.

Restaurants. The restaurants along Davie tend to be mediocre with two exceptions, Bin 941 and Rain City Grill. Don't be tempted by the lineup at Stephos - I'd rather go through a dumpster. The Boathouse along Denman street at English Bay has good meals and great sunsets.

Those are my opinions. I'd be happy to guide you around when you get here as well. Welcome!

I've been to Vancouver 3 times and hope for many more visits to this jewel of a city. I would suggest the St. Regis Hotel...very reasonable and good clean rooms. Also try going outside of the downtown area via their Sky Train which is very affordable and fun to ride. Watch out for the area where the Dufferin Hotel is located...lots of rough trade and kids prostituting themselves (at least when I passed by). Robson Street is fun for shopping or just people watching.

Hey Nate!

Even if our BCguy gave you a lot of good advise, if you want any morte clarity about our amazing city, don't hesitate to write a mail stating what kind of places you like to frequent, what kind of activities and what types of crowds. I would be more than glad to give you my personal advise about it.

Right now I wont be checking my mail very often, but you can count on receiving a clear response within few days.

I am sure that yo are going to have a blast in our beautiful city, and I am sure that the local talent will be more than glad to receive you guys and show you a good time.

Have an amazing trip!

Hey Nate!

Even if our BCguy gave you a lot of good advise, if you want any morte clarity about our amazing city, don't hesitate to write a mail stating what kind of places you like to frequent, what kind of activities and what types of crowds. I would be more than glad to give you my personal advise about it.

Right now I wont be checking my mail very often, but you can count on receiving a clear response within few days.

I am sure that yo are going to have a blast in our beautiful city, and I am sure that the local talent will be more than glad to receive you guys and show you a good time.

Have an amazing trip!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zipperzone

Sorry for this late reply to your request - but - I would repectfully disagree with BC Guy's advice to NOT rent a car.

Parking is very easy - and expensive? not by NYC standards! Although public transportation is cheap, there is nothing like having your own wheels to get around the area in. If you rely on public transportation, you will miss many of the delights Vancouver has to offer, such as cruising around Stanly Park after dark, driving along the ocean in West Vancouver and exploring the little lanes that snake all over that area, or being able to dash out to Deep Cove when YOU want to go, not when the Blue Bus schedule dictates.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of our most famous attractions for gays - Wreck Beach, our local nude beach out by the University of B.C. And for that, a car is also much more convenient.

Have a blast.

Archived