Blackout, Earthquake, Tsunami and now Hurricane

KY_TOP
This topic is 6812 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is getting serious

I was just given a form to return to the front desk wanting confirmation of my personnal info and they want my next of kin and their phone number. I've been told to fill my tub with water and to sleep in the bathroom, keep all drapes pulled to try the sheild the glass brakage from the windows. They've moved the reataurant/meals to a higher floor of the hotel, the first floor is expected to be under water by morning. Guess this is for real and going to be a rough ride.

RE: KY's Update

I received a call from KY. He wants us to know that he's surviving. The electricity is out and being on the 15 floor of the hotel is quite the trek... There are a few hundred guests in the hotel and breakfast consisted of cereal and ice cream. He said he can call out on his cell but can't receive calls. At the time of his call the flooding by his hotel was at 2 feet. He's being kept updated on the hurricane by CNN works who are guests at the hotel...

RE: KY's Update

That is a good idea that he is remaining in contact with you. I know you will keep us posted. I just saw the pictures on the news, and it looks really bad even though they say "the storm veered away from New Orleans". It sure didn't look like it "veered" on the news. KY is a trooper, and will have some good stories for us when this is all over.

RE: Any news?

Bleak indeed. Sounds like it may be a days yet before they can get people out of the city.

I'm guessing his cell battery is dead by now. Even if they have generator powered outlets that could be used for charging, at this point he may very well be conserving his battery for calls to family and business.

My thoughts and prayers are with KY and all those in the area.

Barry

Evacuation

I hope KY Top is safe and alive in New Orleans. The destruction of New Orleans and especially the Mississippi Gulf Coast has been super tough for me...I have friends there and know the restaurants , shops and streets very well. It used to be my little special refuge and now it's all blown away. It's so strange thinking I'll never experience those things again.

According to the news, everyone in N.O. is being evacuated to Houston.

John

http://www.stj1.com

RE: Evacuation

It won't be fast, given the extent of the flooding, but N.O. will be back. Over the centuries New Orleans has survived floods, yellow-fever epidemics, hurricanes, the Spanish Flu, the Civil War, you name it. New Orleans will survive this one, too, unless, G-d forbid, it gets hit again by another hurricane (the season is only about half over, if you can believe it). Let's pray that doesn't happen and that the city is back on its feet again by this time next year!

And please, everyone, make a donation to the Red Cross. There are more than a million people without homes, jobs, clothes and (in many cases) loved ones. The needs are going to be staggering and go on for months or even years. It'll be the Red Cross that bears the brunt of the initial aid efforts, trying to find food and shelter for the refugees and reuniting families separated by the storm. Give generously!

Archived