Dieting sucks...

Guest Marathon Man
This topic is 6811 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Marathon Man

I am trying to eat better and healthier in order to drop a few lbs. As a result, when I am out, I find myself staring at forbidden foods that hot guys are eating instead of the guys themselves!!!! "Yes, you are a god, but I'd kill to eat some fries!"

Can anyone here relate?

MM

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zipperzone

>I am trying to eat better and healthier in order to drop a

>few lbs. As a result, when I am out, I find myself staring at

>forbidden foods that hot guys are eating instead of the guys

>themselves!!!! "Yes, you are a god, but I'd kill to eat some

>fries!"

>

>Can anyone here relate?

There is a way you can diet AND have those fries (on occasion)

If you are really serious about losing weight, go to WEIGHT WATCHERS. They have a program that is based on a points system. They assign a certain number of points to every possible food and give you a book that lists them all. Then, they tell you how many points you are allowed per day, based on your present weight.

So if you want your fries, look up their point value and cut back on other points for the day so you don't overdo it.

Works like a charm - trust me, I know from experience!

Guest RandyRon

"Can I relate?"

You bet your ass I can. Been trying to loose some weight for several years but without success until recently. Couple of months ago I went for a routine checkup and they ran the usual blood tests. Found out I have type II diabetes. Well, that got my attention! Since then I have been taking an oral medication for the diabetes and watching my diet. Not to loose weight but to keep the blood sugar under control. As I test my blood sugar twice a day, I know if I've been "bad." One of the great side effects is that I have dropped about twenty pounds, started an exercise program, and am feeling better than I have in several years. Who says there's no Silver Lining?

:+ :+

>Can anyone here relate?

I have been dieting since I was a fetus. I have lost a great deal of weight, gained some back, lost it, gained it, etc.

Slim Fast - worked for me and worked fast (pardon the pun)

Weight Watchers - it's ok if you want to feel like a child being punished and award everything you put in your mouth points

Any operation - are you kidding me? Do not get a weight loss operation

My tips:

1) three normal meals a day (what I mean by normal is don't eat like you are at a viking funeral)

2) don't eat ANYTHING that you can pick up in a bag at a drive up window

3) once a week, at one meal, eat like royalty - give yourself that one special treat a week

4) don't go fat free - do go low fat products

Fuck watching carbs and all that other fad stuff. Eat everything BUT portion everything for normal people. Three meals a day and nothing in between.

Now, like I said, I have been up and I have been down. Skinny people who have never been over 20 pounds over weight should not give you dieting advice. They are evil and they have other motives. If we mobilize now we can stop them and keep them under our control. LOL!

BUT SERIOUSLY - you need to ask yourself why you eat when you eat. I don't believe people are fat because they just love to eat. Eating is self medicating. Eating is emotional. You need to explore in your life why you over eat now. Once you start to find the emotional causes and triggers you may find some help and control. Eating is emotional. The next time the Ding Dong is going into your mouth ask yourself .... why. Yes, they are good (oh lordy are they good) but there is another reason.

I have always been a big guy and I've lost and gained back enough weight to make several more people.But about 8 months ago everything seemed to kinda fall in place.I bought an excercise machine and placed it in my den right next to my computer and across from my tv.I actually started using it every day for about 20 mins.Its a power gazelle you see those infomercials about.Then I started eating sensibly but without denying myself the foods I enjoyed.I started losing 1-2 pounds a week without feeling like I was on any diet.My clothes were loose and I bought some new ones.

Then 5 weeks ago I had a fairly simple laproscopic procedure to remove my gall bladder.I bled badly after the surgery which has resulted in a very large hematoma on the side of my stomach that makes me look 6 months pregnant.The doctors say it could take a year to dissolve if it completely does.So I give up....I'm big and I'm gonna stay big.Unfortunately this looks abnormal so I've become a recluse and won't go out anymore.

The bleeding is not a normal side effect.I take bllod thinners which they made me stop 3 days before surgery and they had me injecting myself with a drug called lovanox twice a day.They erred on the dosage.

>Not really, I think it's called "will" and "self-discipline"

>;-)

Thanks Captain Obvious. ;) I was being tongue in cheek. Good for you that for 8 years you kept those nasty starch sticks away from your mouth. Now, is there any food on this planet that you give/gave in to? What is your Akillies Heal when it comes to oral digestive pleasure? After looking at your scantly clothed body on your website I realize you have made sacrifices and worked hard to get the toned ass you have. BUT what the food just does it for you?

VDN

>Are you a robot? Are you human? Do you have cybernetic implants?

It's not really that difficult. I made a decision several years ago not to eat fries. I've slipped a couple of times, but I can count them on one hand.

"MUST GET TO DISTANT CITY IN TIME FOR FUNERAL. CANNOT STOP FOR A MEAL. GRAB DRIVE-THRU."

By now, I'm at a point where eating fries actually makes me feel ill so I don't even want them.

Now if someone could tell me how to get over fried chicken, I could make some real progress. :+ KFC = Comfort Food!

>What is your Akillies Heal when it comes to oral digestive pleasure?

From time to time Pierre Marcolini's belgian chocolate truffles. They're really good.

> what the food just does it for you ?

I can enjoy a good healthy meal when I go to the restaurant. Except that I'm on strict low-fat and low-carb diet and as I mentioned before after a while you get use to it without even paying attention. I never eat fast food, fries, sauces or dessert, avoid alcohol and exercise daily. Easy, no ?

But I have other vices ...

I can relate. A few years ago I went on a diet but didn't increase my exercise level (which mainly consisted of regular walking 30-60 minutes per day). I managed to lose 40 pounds over a period of about one year. Unfortunately a doctor prescribed a medication for me that had a side effect of making me want to eat almost continuously. I once ate a loaf of bread in one sitting!!! I gained 15 pounds back in about one month and then stopped taking the medication. Unfortunately that reversed my trend and habits and I continued overeating (though not at that same frenzied pace). My weight eventually crept back up to its previous high point.

Funny that you started this thread now, though. About a month ago I decided to join a gym and hire a trainer. I've been doing cardio 3-5 hours per week, stretching, doing various exercises involving moving my own body weight, and some weight/resistance training. The training package also came with a "fitness assessment" and menu planning. The menu planning is largely useless as far as I'm concerned with one exception: They determined that I burn 2,600 calories per day just sitting around doing nothing. So if I eat 2,100 calories per day and keep the same activity level, I will lose approximately one pound per week due to decreased food intake. Having a specific number to focus on has helped, and it has also helped to spread my consumption of those calories over more "meals." For example it's now rare for me to have a meal that has over 400-500 calories but I generally eat five times per day, some of those meals simply being a protein bar (about 200 calories). Because my exercise level has also increased dramatically I am losing additional weight -- so far 12 pounds over the past six weeks.

So my advice is not to focus solely on "dieting." In fact maybe you shouldn't even focus on "dieting" at all because most people associate that deprivation. Instead think about creating a menu/meal plan for yourself, with or without the aid of someone else. Then be sure to add exercise to your regular routine (assuming that your doctor says that increasing your activity level is not contraindicated).

I may have lost a lot of weight before but this time around the experience is really different. Never having been a particularly physically active person, I never understood it when people commented on how exercise made them feel better not just physically but also mentally. Now I'm beginning to understand. Regular exercise has been more effective for me than ANY antidepressant I previously took (and I tried A LOT of different medications).

I don't look like Steve... but do wear size 32 Levis. The last time I ate a french fry was actually 10 years ago... and except for fried calamari (a taste of heaven for special occasions) have not eaten any fried foods for about the same period of time... and I don't miss any of that suppoedly finger-licken-good crapola at all...

Please be assured I have a HUGE appetite... and I DON'T deprive myself of anything. So I guess it's a matter of the quality of the quantity that you eat that makes the lifestyle change work... Of course watching other "sinful foods" helps as does a regular exercise program...

Good Luck!!

Guest Kevin 2

Diet...one 4 letter word I hate! Most 4 letter words I love like dick,suck, fuck and cock..LOL

2 Years ago I was down to my all time low under 200. I'm a tall peep at 6'4" so I was only about 15 pounds away from where I needed to be. I went on vacation and now 2 years later almost as fat as ever I've gained 55 pounds! Geezs I wonder how in the hell I let this happen. I worked SO hard to loose 50 pounds back in 2003. I just can't seem to get motivated again. So tell me guys what keeps you motivated?

PS..It doesn't help that I love all the wrong foods. I can drink sweet tea by the gallon, love me some ice cream,cakes,cookies you name it. You get the picture. :-(

So tell me guys what keeps you motivated?

>PS..It doesn't help that I love all the wrong foods. I can

>drink sweet tea by the gallon, love me some ice

>cream,cakes,cookies you name it. You get the picture. :-(

Your dentist must love you as well! Actually all kidding aside, we all crave some sort of sinful food. As for myself, I pig out on ice cream only on "special occasions"... birthdays, holidays, vacations, etc. I can polish off a whole half gallon at one sitting... this then satisfies me for quite a while... until the next "special occasion"... Of course, I have become an exercise freak, so when I do pig out I can easily make up for it by doing some extra aerobic type exercise... I find an exercise bike in front of the TV with tapes or DVDs of your favorite whatever works best for me... lots of hot bodies help with the motivation of course!

Still I do have some sort of sweet snack almost every evening... as a reward not only for my diligent exercise, but also for carefully watching the fat content of what I have eaten earlier in the day. Snacking is in moderation of course... for example, fruit pie topped with non-fat or low-fat yogurt instead chocolate cake dripping in frosting... never any candy or sweet drinks or anything with a high fat or overly high sugar content... I savor the taste for a few minutes... then the pearly whites get brushed and flossed... After going through all that bother I wouldn't think of putting anything else in my mouth... well at least no cavity causing foods...

I really never liked fruit, but it's amazing how the right fruit can satisfy your craving for sugar... white seedless grapes do it for me this time of the year, navel oranges in the winter months, etc. With a little effort you should be able to transfer your sinful desires into healthful yearnings...

Marcolini? Don't know him... how does his chocolate compare with, say, Neuhaus? Or La Maison du Chocolat?

(Now THIS is important!! Hope no one tries to deconstruct this posting.)

I've been very honest about my size on this MC.

The only time a diet worked for me was about 9 years ago. I went completely low fat, could care less about calories or anything other than fat grams. I lost about 150 pounds. Then seeral tragic events happened very close to each other and I turned to food to handle my depression.

When I was ready to diet again several years later the low fat diet didn't work at all. Then I turned to a food service company. They delivered 3 balanced meals daily it worked well I lost 60 pounds in about 5 months. Sadly I moved out of their delivery zone and could not find a replacement.

Today I have been on a low carb program for about a month. I've lost 20 pounds. I had tried low carb before with some limited success. Actually, I only plan to stay on it 3 months to give me a start then slowly add low fat foods into my diet and get back to that program again.

All in all I know for me I need to have the mindset to diet. Today I am very motivated as I get older my health is more of an issue than ever.

RT

>Today I have been on a low carb program for about a month.

>I've lost 20 pounds. I had tried low carb before with some

>limited success. Actually, I only plan to stay on it 3 months

>to give me a start then slowly add low fat foods into my diet

>and get back to that program again.

>All in all I know for me I need to have the mindset to diet.

>Today I am very motivated as I get older my health is more of

>an issue than ever.

Motivation is indeed the key to success… One way to get motivated is indeed to think and concentrate on health issues… but that may not be the answer for everyone… one can only relate their own experiences, but motivation itself is a nebulous, indefinable thing that can’t be bottled and sold for consumption… Still when you’ve got it you know it… sounds like you‘ve got it!

Just be sensible about what you are doing… NOT being on a low-carb diet for an extended period is indeed sensible… most persons that I know that have done the low-carb nonsense for an extended period have developed other problems ranging from high cholesterol to unbelievably periodontal issues… so tread lightly…

For me healthy eating, and exercise (weights and aerobic) go hand in hand… exercise increases muscle mass and as a result you burn fat more readily… of course exercise gives you the stamina for other activities as well so it is indeed a win-win proposition…

>Motivation is indeed the key to success… One way to get

>motivated is indeed to think and concentrate on health issues…

>but that may not be the answer for everyone… one can only

>relate their own experiences, but motivation itself is a

>nebulous, indefinable thing that can’t be bottled and sold for

>consumption…

Don't tell the above to Tony Robbins.

But thank you for a nice reply.

RT

Archived