DALLAS

Guest random

This topic is 6012 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest random

This is a not so random question about Dallas, TX and the general area around it like plano, frisco ............

I must move there at month end. No time to visit and that is a long boring story. I will have a condo in Plano area (I think) setup for me.

I have NEVER been to Dallas (or TX) for that matter. Any feedback and/or suggestion would be nice. I'm 41 not really into any one specific scene. It might be nice to know if there are any strip clubs or cruising areas, where the gay part of town is, any museums, cool places to eat, anything really not even gay related.

I have been reading a lot online but first hand experience always seems best to get.

If it helps to know my type think 18-25 latin white or asian guys usually. Also, I am moving from a large metro city in the west.

One thing that Dallas has that I often wish that Houston had is a large area where nearly every door for about six blocks or so is a gay bar or business. (Our Montrose is larger, perhaps, but not as concentrated or as homogenous, so to speak.) It's called Oak Lawn, I believe.

They also have a great gay men's chorus, one of the best, called the Turtle Creek Chorale.

And If I'm getting any of these names wrong, would someone from Dallas please correct me?

Their gay pride parade is later in the year, not in June. They moved it to the Fall so that the cooler tempteratures would be gentler on their beloved brothers and sisters, particularly those with AIDS. The same reason why Houston moved theirs to the evening after the sun goes down - I believe the first major city to do so.

Of course, not all of the gay bars are in the Oak Lawn area.

And, while geography is not my forte, I do believe that it is going to be at least a half hour's drive or more (maybe a full hour) from Plano to Dallas.

There. I feel reasonably certain that I have made enough errors to attract the attention of one of those Dallas queens, known to be more formal than we Houstonians.

>major city to do so.

>Of course, not all of the gay bars are in the Oak Lawn area.

>And, while geography is not my forte, I do believe that it is

>going to be at least a half hour's drive or more (maybe a full

>hour) from Plano to Dallas.

>

Not from Dallas but you're correct the drive from most of the north burbs is about 30-45 minutes.

---/

I wonder what people do with their time. being time it is hard to know.

Yes, most of the bars are in Oak Lawn. The area where there is a heavy concentrations of gay people (which includes Oak Lawn) is bounded by downtown on the south, Mockingbird Avenue on the north, Central Expressway (US75) on the east and I35 on the west. The various neighborhoods included in this area are Uptown, Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, Park Cities and the area around Love Field Airport.

Uptown is a mix of newer and more expensive condos and apartments with some older buildings. Turtle Creek is one of Dallas' more picturesque areas which surrounds Turtle Creek Boulevard - many highrises which run from $$ (few) to $$$$ (more). Oak Lawn, where the main vehicular intersection is Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs and the main intersection that the gay bars surround, referred to as "The Crossroads" is just 2 blocks north on Oak Lawn at Throckmorton. Oak Lawn has a mix of older apartments that have made way for newer, more expensive condos. Two of the few single family detached neighborhoods are in the Oak Lawn area - Perry Heights and Maple Springs (not cheap though).

Dallas' wealthy citizens tend toward The Park Cities (Highland Park and Univeristy Park). Some older homes and estates survive while both megamansions and McMansions go up in their place. Manicured. A good number of affluent gays live in The Park Cities but especially in "West Highland Park" which is west of the Dallas North Tollway but still part of Highland Park.

More toward Love Field (north of Oak Lawn) and the area between Cedar Springs and Harry Hines Boulevard are heavily Hispanic. There are also gays spread throughout North Dallas north of Mockingbird Lane. There's also a big concentration of gay people in Oak Cliff which is southwest of downtown and owning a single family detached home is somewhat more attainable (somewhat less expensive and a larger stock of houses). Very pretty - hills, trees in parts. East Dallas/White Rock Lake can be nice too.

The main strip bars in Dallas are Crews Inn and Zippers which are both on Fitzhugh (just west of 75) as well as MaleBoxx which is on Lemmon Avenue just north of the Dallas North Tollway. Several other bars have strippers on Saturday but are less "interactive."

The burbs are out there. The two you name (Frisco and Plano) are far. Irving and Addison are closer. Let me know if you have other specific questions. I lived in Dallas for a long time but now live in San Francisco (hence the handle).

Well let me help you if I can.

Yes, there is nothing like Oak Lawn....Actually Cedar Springs is the street where Gay Mecca is located. In a 6 block radius (from Lemmon to Maple with Cedar Springs the in the middle you have 19 restaurants 17 shopping businesses and 11 bars/clubs. Basically everything you would want in Gaydom and all within walking distance.

But, there is more....If you come down 75 from Plano and his the KnoxHenderson/Fitzugh area there are several more restaurants as well as 4 other bars there. Crews Inn and Zippers are both dick daner bars that have male dancers 7 nights a week.

I have found no place like Dallas in my travels. It is definately unique and there is a nitsch for everyone.

Welcome and I am sure you will enjoy.:)

I'm from the Dallas area and would love to help you out. Actually, I grew up in Plano so I can help you with that area. To be completely frank, Plano and Frisco is Southern Baptist suburbia...watch out for soccer mom's in SUV's cutting you off at 90mph! Our gay neighborhood, Oak Lawn, is close to downtown Dallas apx 30 min. from Plano. Most of our clubs, restaurants, etc.. are in the same 3 block radius. DFW is a huge, spralling metropolis and there are tons of things to see. I'd recommed the new Nasher sculpture museum and the Kimball Art Museum in nearby Fort Worth. And of course, if you're looking for some extracurricular activity, feel free to contact me! :)

- Jason Carter - Dallas, TX

- (214) 274-8127

- [email protected]

>This is a not so random question about Dallas, TX and the

>general area around it like plano, frisco ............

>

>I must move there at month end. No time to visit and that is a

>long boring story. I will have a condo in Plano area (I think)

>setup for me.

>

>I have NEVER been to Dallas (or TX) for that matter. Any

>feedback and/or suggestion would be nice. I'm 41 not really

>into any one specific scene. It might be nice to know if there

>are any strip clubs or cruising areas, where the gay part of

>town is, any museums, cool places to eat, anything really not

>even gay related.

>

>I have been reading a lot online but first hand experience

>always seems best to get.

>

>If it helps to know my type think 18-25 latin white or asian

>guys usually. Also, I am moving from a large metro city in the

>west.

>

>

I didn't read the part where you wrote that you may have a place set up for you in Plano. If you have any say in it, try to get it near either the Dallas North Tollway or Central Expressway (75). Being close to either of these could cut 1/2 hour off a trip from Plano to Oak Lawn.

Dallas Museums

Dallas and Fort Worth are twin cities. In Dallas, there is a cultural arts area with the gorgeous symphony hall, outdoor restaurants, and several wonderful art museums. It is a great area for walking. The DMFA (Dallas Museum of Fine Arts) is very large and excellent. It was built in a series of add-ons which kept expanding the building; you gradually walk upstairs. The collection is very rich; post l950 is top rate, but also colonial, Latin American, and other areas. The restaurant is a huge space also used for concerts. Parking is in garage under the museum. The new Nasher Sculpture Museum and Sculpture Garden are across the street. And across another street is a fine small museum of Asian art.

In Fort Worth, there is a museum section along one street with three superb museums. The new museum of contemporary art is a striking building on a reflecting pool. Large walls provide good space for large contemporary paintings. Permanent collection and special exhibits are first rate. One block away is the Kimball Art Museum, called the most beautiful small museum in the world. And one block beyond that is the Philip Johnson museum for American art, especially of the 19th and early 20th century.

There are many art museums of the highest quality in Dallas and Fort Worth, both in terms of quantity and quality.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said. My partner and I moved to Plano in 1988 with a corporate re-location and really like it alot. However, like Jason said, if you want some "gay" night life, you won't be finding much of it in Plano/Frisco.

On the other hand, we live on a street in Plano called "Leathertop Drive". How "gay" is that! Obviously someone on the city planning commission was! LOL!

If you'd like some info specifically about Plano/Frisco, feel free to send me an email.

Guest random

Thanks for the detailed replies. I am looking at this as an adventure new city to check out.

Jason made a comment aout Plano being motly baptist that made me laugh as my friend who is setting up the apartment is baptist.

I believe I will be closeto the freeway I think it is 95/ Do the winters hey colf?