Skin Care Advice Sought...Thanks...

doctordoctor
This topic is 6817 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

...I actually posted this question on an ezboard forum a few weeks ago, but lost all the great answers when ezboard had its big meltdown last month...I'm always reading here about all the guys described as having such smooth skin, etc....I live in the SW US and am concerned about dry skin, etc...I know the number one rule is use sunblock, but even the non-greasy kinds leave my skin greasy...I sweat easily and that makes stuff on my skin even more miserable for me...I'm nearly convinced the overpriced, fancy lotions and potions at the cosmetic counters are not worth it at all...I use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion once or twice a day...that's no big deal, but I'm trying...a doctor told me regular old-fashioned baby oil is better, but I've got two jugs of the Vaseline to get rid of!...

I'm just looking for the basic must-have, must-do stuff for my face, etc...don't want kooky stuff or stuff from the white-smocked ladies at the department store counter...just the basics that will do the job in a straight-forward way as I enter my 40s...

appreciate your time

Guest Tristan

I live in Florida. So we have a similar problem with intense sun and UV rays. There are two facial moisturizers, both with SPF 15 and non-greasy, that you can try - Cetaphil and Neutrogena. Both are available in the large drug store chains and won't break the bank like the stuff from cosmetic counters in department stores. Hope that helps.

I've been very happy with the line of shaving and skin care products produced by The Art of Shaving, http://www.theartofshaving.com .

Aubrey Organics has some nice sunscreen products. This link will provide you with access to its website: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/index.cfm .

If you want to learn some things about sunscreen that may cause you concern, check out the information on sunscreens located at: http://www.mercola.com . You can do a search and type in sunscreen or something similar.

I am forty (40) years old and am very concerned about keeping my sking looking young.

Feel free to private message me.

As someone in your 40's, now is the time to take stock of your skin and do what you need to do to avoid major skin problems later in life. Unfortunately, the sun exposure we receive in childhood can predispose us to problems later on and in my case, I regularly got too much sun when I was young. I am a fair-haired person who burns relatively easily so the consequences were worse.

I am in my late 50's and have developed a few AK's which are a precursor to skin cancer. I had them treated last winter and am now free of them. My skin is also very dry and really, one of the best things to do is drink lots of water and avoid too much alcohol and coffee, which act as diuretics (you lose body moisture).

Also I would use SPF 30 from now on if I were you, 15 is not enough. I used to use 15 regularly when I lived in South Florida in the winter and although it kept me from burning most of the time, I still got red at times, especially on my upper chest, and that caused damage. Now I use SPF 30 exclusively.

Good luck and remember, once the damage is done, there is no undoing it. All the lotions in the world will not restore the elasticity to your skin once it is gone!

Archived