WICKED

jackhammer91406
This topic is 6846 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know, I know, it's a phase I am going through.

First cyberbullies, then Brat Camp, and now WICKED.

No, I just got back from seeing the touring production of WICKED at the Pantages in Hollywood. The show is sold out for the run, but we lucked out and someone who knew someone who knew the composer got us his house seats. Blah, Blah, Blah. Anyway, what a great show. The actress (Stephanie Block) playing Elphaba is the young lady who originated the role in tryouts and left to star as Liza Minnelli in BOY FROM OZ. She is great and easily rivals the singing of Idina Menzel who opened in the role on Broadway and won a Tony. Carol Kane also appears as Madame Morrible (sp?). At the performance today, an understudy played Galinda, and she was outstanding. Wish I could get tickets to see it again.

I had never seen the show, but I was knocked out by it. :o

Anyone else seen the show (anywhere?)

Guest zipperzone

For those of us who have not seen it and will probably never have the opportunity to see it, a brief plot overview would be appreciated. Thanks.

>Anyone else seen the show (anywhere?)

Hi Jackhammer,

I saw the Broadway show with the original cast and Idina Menzel when this musical first started in NYC. I was really impressed and remember that I posted a comment here.

For those who have never heard of Wicked ...

From http://www.wickedthemusical.com

Synopsis

"Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.

WICKED, the untold story of the witches of Oz, features music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman ("My So Called Life," "Once And Again" and "thirtysomething"), and is based on the best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire. With musical staging by Tony Award winner Wayne Cilento (Aida, The Who's Tommy, How To Succeed...), WICKED is directed by 2003 and 2004 Tony Award winner Joe Mantello (Assassins, Take Me Out, Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune)."

Something WICKED this way comes

Don't be too sure you won't have a chance. Here are tour stops for the next year:

Aug 4- Sept 11 San Francisco (premium seats sold

out)

Then to Denver, Dallas, Houston and St. Louis.

Hartford, Washington, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa Bay gets us

through mid Feb 2006.

Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Boston, and Atlanta through

mid May 2006.

Detroit, Cleveland and Minneapolis through late July

San Diego July 26- Aug 6, 2006

Cerritos _Orange County Aug 9-20.

Tempe, Seattle and Toronto through late November.

If this show comes anywhere near you, and you like musicals, then you MUST try to see it. It is inventive, funny, dazzling, and features outstanding performances and some great songs and staging. Gee. can you tell I liked it?

RE: Something WICKED this way comes

And of course for anyone visiting NYC it is still playing on Broadway-but you must plan ahead or pay big bucks as its sold out months in advance. I've seen it twice and enjoyed it tremendously both times. All the original cast has left, but I'm continually blown away by the depth of talent on B'way so I'm sure the current cast is excellent. Rue McClanahan has just taken over as Madame Morrible; haven't seen her so can't comment on her in the role, but often the "TV and movie names" are the weakest cast members(Hugh Jackman is the exception).

:7 The musical is *VERY* loosely based on the book by the same title. I say loosely cause the overall story of the musical is very much different from the book.

The book is one hell of a read, with all the nuances of the various relationships between all the characters, especially between Elpheba and Glinda, but it kind of falters in the end, IMO. Its a very difficult story, to say the least, and am not sure how the author, Gregory Maguire, could have written the conclusion better.

CF: http://tinyurl.com/aozlj

It's playing in Chicago with an open-ended run. Tickets are sold out well in advance, but you can still get tickets since there's no scheduled end to the run. I understand it's with an entirely new set that's supposed to really be great.

I've heard great things about it.

Archived