Politically Correct Teachers

OneFinger
This topic is 6845 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

A spokesman for the group said it wanted to avoid labeling children. "We recognize that children do not necessarily achieve success first time," he said.

"But I recognize that we can't just strike a word from the dictionary," he said.

The PAT said it would debate the proposal at a conference next week.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2005-07-20T130239Z_01_L1972360_RTRIDST_0_ODD-BRITAIN-FAILURE-DC.XML

OneFinger, given taylor's failure at law school it is in poor taste to bring up this subject right now. It must be a very difficult time for his parents, who apparently were both able to make it through law school, to see their son spend all of his time with older gay men who hire for sex.

>The word "fail" should be banned from use in British

>classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to

>avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

I think if teachers were allowed to do the following then this wouldn't be an issue over there and here. ;)

THINGS YOU'D LOVE TO WRITE ON A STUDENT'S REPORT CARD, BUT CAN'T:

1. Since my last report, your child has reached rock bottom and has

started to dig.

2. I would not allow this student to breed.

3. This student has delusions of adequacy.

4. The student sets low personal standards and then consistently fails

to achieve them.

5. This student is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

6. The student has a "full six-pack" but lacks the plastic thing to hold

it all together.

7. Student has been working with glue too much.

8. When the student's IQ reaches 50, he/she should sell.

9. Student has a photographic memory, but the lens cover is glued on.

10. Gates are down, lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.

11. If this student were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice

a week.

12. It's hard to believe the sperm that created this student beat out

1,000,000 others.

13. This student is one neuron short of a synapse.

14. The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Guest Conway

Wow. A post containing two concise examples as to why inbreeding is dangerous, Taylorky and a two headed dog.

Lucky,

Your post has me scratching my head. I have no idea how you made a connection between students in England and Taylorky.

Perhaps there is more going on than I understand. But, for now, the connection escapes me. My post was NOT directed at Taylorky or anyone on this board. I just felt the article pointed out problems with policital correctness.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the political/religious/bitch forumn. x(

Guest Conway

Oh, no no, kind sir. Not an attack. Simply a statement of opinion based upon factual example. I'm sorry that you lacked the understanding to properly comprehend my post.

Long live free speech!

Another angle on teacher PC - If you ever (and it's quite possible, a lot of them are) run into a gay friendly English teacher (lit), ask if they ever mention that Oscar Wilde and Walt Whitman were gay. And you know you can't really understand their poetry, etc., unless you grasp that central fact. It's like pretending that the Brownings didn't know each other.

Archived