Leg Cramps

DelawareGuy
This topic is 6848 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK, I'm not as young and lithe as I used to be. I have a problem with leg cramps when I'm on my back (legs in the air) for an extended length of time. Any recommendations on exercises that can help this? I should state that I do not go to the gym, nor do I have any plans of starting.

>OK, I'm not as young and lithe as I used to be. I have a

>problem with leg cramps when I'm on my back (legs in the air)

>for an extended length of time. Any recommendations on

>exercises that can help this? I should state that I do not go

>to the gym, nor do I have any plans of starting.

Stop laying on your back with you legs in the air, what you doing that you need to have them in the air (Hmmm), try a different position. Got to be careful at your age (LoL) ;) Drink more milk.

When in doubt I whip it out :+

I too get leg cramps and almost always at a time I do not want it.

I would consider changing positions frequently, it adds lots of fun.

Given that you are not in an excercise regime, I would first have a doctor check it out. I get leg cramps, but usually when I have done back to back heavy tread mill climbing/running and did not cool down long enough with stretching. Circulation could very well be the issue.

Second, calcium can be a cause of leg cramps as well as not enough water in your muscles or Oxygenated blood which water helps. Also consider reducing caffine intake. Caffine actually reduces water in the muscles.

Third Physical therapist friend suggested the following. If the cramps are occurring in your calfs, then simple heel lifts on a daily basis. Face wall, one foot cupped around heel of the other than lift the heel off the ground hold for a second and return. Do three sets of 15 each heel twice a day.

If cramps are more thigh and groin, then gentle lunge stretch and hold again 3 set of 15 each leg. Then sit on ground, bring soles of feet together pull in legs in a butter fly position. Gently take elbows and push knees down and hold again 15 times.

Finally, find a wall, lay on ground facing wall. Bring legs up scoot butt up to wall and make sure back is flat against the ground and legs are straight up resting on wall. This helps relax the back. Many of the issues related to our neck, shoulders and legs is in direct correlation in how we treat our back. Poor posture and sore back muscles cause our legs to move when we walk to compensate for soreness in our back which causes leg problems.

Lisping Lithing Limbs....

>Any recommendations on

>exercises that can help this? I should state that I do not go

>to the gym, nor do I have any plans of starting.

There is an excellent, slim and inexpensive paperbound book called Yoga for Men. While I do not get cramps, since I walk, hike and bike ride a great deal, I get tightness and soreness in my calves and hamstrings. Yoga has worked wonders for this (as well as also being restfull and good for stress).

While there are a number of positions you likely do not want to undertake, particularly as they may be more "gym-like" than you would prefer, many are simple stretches that you can do at home, in comfortable clothes. Your public library should also have a number of either video tapes or DVDs or books available on yoga, so you can check a few outs.

As Steven suggested, having someone help you with the proper way to do stretches is not a bad idea, but if you take a great deal of care, you can likely try most of the simple and beginner stretches on your own, although make sure the phone is handy in case something gets twisted or bent and you require assistance.

Best of luck.

http://www.gaydar.co.uk/francodisantis

http://hometown.aol.com/francodisantis/myhomepage/profile.html

You've gotten some great answers. Remember, easy does it, especially at first, with the stretches. And do not bounce into a stretch, sort of fall slowly into it. And with all of the chemicals which have been mentioned, I am a bit surprised that no one has mentined potassium (or that I missed it when someone did). The potassium in pills disappates very quickly - not a real great shelf life. I think a better source is bananas. Unfortunately, they are also a source of gas. So you might want to be careful with them. }(

Archived