Happy Birthday, Dalai Lama!

woodlawn
This topic is 6864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I simply can't understand why our resident celebrity birthday watcher failed to post a thread alerting members to the birthday (two days ago, if I'm correct) of one of the hottest guys around, the Dalai Lama.

As we all know, the Dalai Lama is the reincarnation of generations of wise predecessors and is addressed by his followers as 'Great Precious Conqueror' or 'Wish-Granting Jewel.' Does Johnny Depp have a cooler backstory than that? Of course not! So I simply could NOT let the natal anniversary of this Tibetan hunk go unmentioned. :)

>I simply can't understand why our resident celebrity birthday

>watcher failed to post a thread alerting members to the

>birthday (two days ago, if I'm correct) of one of the hottest

>guys around, the Dalai Lama.

>

>As we all know, the Dalai Lama is the reincarnation of

>generations of wise predecessors and is addressed by his

>followers as 'Great Precious Conqueror' or 'Wish-Granting

>Jewel.' Does Johnny Depp have a cooler backstory than that?

>Of course not! So I simply could NOT let the natal

>anniversary of this Tibetan hunk go unmentioned. :)

>

>

Thanks to Buddah. God bless Buddah. Isn't this one mentioned in Siddhartha. Anyway, Woodman. Absolutely, Scott Baoi and the DL. One in the same. Great catch.

Later.

PS. By the way, why the reference to his supremeness and Brazil?

Please tell me that you guys saw Bobby Brown on his TV show, when he met the Dalai Lama ???!!! He's shouting "Mr. Lama...Mr.Lama" then when he finally shakes the Dalai Lama's hand and tries to tell him who he is, the Dalai Lama says something like "I dont watch TV"

Hopefully the High Lama will enjoy many more Birth- Days. Sorry Novice! But I don't watch Many "Reality" Shows. The Going's On at the "Whitney Houston" Household are Entertaining I am sure!<g> But I like My "Reality" Male and Buff! They don't even have to be Intelligent, Just REAL! LOL :+

The actual birthday was on the 6th...by this account, it was a happy one as that sort of thing goes...

Dalai Lama marks 70th birthday

The Dalai Lama is due to address crowds of well-wishers

Thousands of Tibetan exiles have celebrated the Dalai Lama's 70th birthday in the northern Indian town of Dharamsala.

A Tibetan dance and music festival is being staged in honour of the event.

The Dalai Lama has lived in India since he fled from Chinese troops in 1959, basing his government-in-exile in the hill-top town.

He began Wednesday's festivities by unveiling a book on India's independence hero, Mahatma Gandhi.

The Dalai Lama's personal secretary, Tensing Takala, told the BBC that various celebrations were planned.

"The birthday celebrations began early today and are continuing with great enthusiasm, despite the heavy monsoon rain here. Large numbers of Tibetans have been standing outside his holiness' home since morning," he said.

The Dalai Lama also spoke to the journalists outside his home. Responding to a query whether the Tibetan dispute with China would be resolved in his lifetime, the Dalai Lama smiled and said: "I hope so. We need patience and determination".

But China is unlikely to give him the birthday gift he most wants - movement on negotiations over the future of Tibet.

Ever since he fled to India, he has spent his time in exile pushing for greater autonomy for Tibet from Chinese rule.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said on Tuesday that China would not change its stance on Tibet, and that the exiled spiritual leader should admit it was part of China.

"Only under such conditions can the central government hold discussions on the fate of his future," Mr Liu said.

Chinese government representatives and envoys of the Dalai Lama held closed talks last week in Geneva, but there has been no word of any progress.

The Dalai Lama is revered by the Tibetan people as their spiritual leader.

Born on 6 July 1935, to a farming family in north-eastern Tibet, he was recognised at the age of two as the incarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso.

Since then he has lived much of his life as a simple monk, spending many hours praying and meditating.

But his life changed course dramatically after Chinese troops invaded eastern Tibet in 1951. Eight years later, during a bloody suppression of an anti-Chinese uprising, the Dalai Lama and his government fled.

As the head of an unrecognised government, he has also become a de facto diplomat, rallying people around the world to his cause.

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his non-violent struggle for Tibet.

Interviewer: Your Holiness, what do you think of homosexuality?

Dalai Lama: It's part of what we Buddhists call "bad sexual conduct."

(Pause.) Sexual organs were created for reproduction between the

male element and the female element - and everything that

deviates from that is not acceptable from a Buddhist point of view.

(He counts off on his fingers.) Between a man and [another] man, a

woman and another woman, in the mouth, the anus, or even using a

hand (the DL mimes masturbation).

From an interview in Dimanche magazine, January 2001.

See also http://www.q-notes.com/top01_040905.html

Then there's this:

Dalai Lama urges 'respect, compassion, and full human rights for all,' including gays

[blockquote]by Dennis Conkin Bay Area Reporter, June 19th, 1997

The Dalai Lama, world-revered leader of millions of Buddhists and leader of the Tibetan people, spoke out strongly against discrimination and violence against lesbians and gays during an extraordinary Wednesday, June 11 meeting in San Francisco with lesbian and gay Buddhists, clergy, and human rights activists.

The religious leader said at the press conference that he had previously been asked his views on gay marriage, and said that such social sanction of gay relationships "has to be judged in the context of the society itself and the laws and social norms."

During the 45-minute meeting, the Nobel peace laureate and Buddhist religious leader voiced his support for the full recognition of human rights for all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

Buddhist sexual proscriptions ban homosexual sexual activity and heterosexual sex through orifices other than the vagina, including masturbation or other sexual activity with the hand. Buddhist proscriptions also forbid sex at certain times - such as during full and half moon days, the daytime, and during a wife's menstrual period or pregnancy - or near shrines or temples. Adultery is considered sexual misconduct, but the hiring of a female prostitute for penile-vaginal sex is not, unless one pays a third party to procure the person.

From a "Buddhist point of view," lesbian and gay sex "is generally considered sexual misconduct," the Dalai Lama told reporters at a press conference a day earlier.

However, such proscriptions are for members of the Buddhist faith - and from "society's viewpoint," homosexual sexual relations can be "of mutual benefit, enjoyable, and harmless," according to the Dalai Lama.

"His Holiness was greatly concerned by reports made available to him regarding violence and discrimination against gay and lesbian people. His Holiness opposes violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation. He urges respect, tolerance, compassion, and the full recognition of human rights for all," said Office of Tibet spokesman Dawa Tsering in a statement issued within an hour of the meeting. [/blockquote](emphasis mine) It is fortunate that religions as well as individuals can and do evolve.

>The religious leader said at the press conference that he had

>previously been asked his views on gay marriage, and said that

>such social sanction of gay relationships "has to be judged in

>the context of the society itself and the laws and social

>norms."

Its better than Bush, but not by much. According to societal norms, we shouldnt be allowed to do anything...according to our laws, well we are debating that right now. These statements dont seem that great to me.

>

>During the 45-minute meeting, the Nobel peace laureate and

>Buddhist religious leader voiced his support for the full

>recognition of human rights for all people, regardless of

>sexual orientation.

>

>From a "Buddhist point of view," lesbian and gay sex "is

>generally considered sexual misconduct," the Dalai Lama told

>reporters at a press conference a day earlier.

>

>However, such proscriptions are for members of the Buddhist

>faith - and from "society's viewpoint," homosexual sexual

>relations can be "of mutual benefit, enjoyable, and harmless,"

>according to the Dalai Lama.

so Buddhist homosexuals are aloud to be homosexuals, they just have to remain celibate ? sounds Catholic to me :-)

Yea... the big 5 "exoteric" religions are pretty much old school with the sexual prohibitions... But in their more evolved "liberal" forms, they are slowly coming to terms with the fact that a healthy libido is an essential unrepressable part of the human psyche.

Of course, to me that's a good thing, but then I'm biased. src=http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif

[a href=http://www.lightmind.com/thevoid/openletter.html]Adi Da[/a] may be decidedly unconventional in a lot of ways (aka seems a bit looney if you're not used to guru-speak) but I think he's got a powerful angle on sex and Spirit.

Archived