F/X's 30 Days Gay/Straight episode

Guest jeffOH
This topic is 6864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jeffOH

Flipping channels last night, I caught a very interesting episode of Morgan Spurlock's (of SuperSize Me fame) 30 Days on F/X in which a straight guy goes to SF to live with a gay guy in the Castro for 30 days. Hot straight boy Ryan has all his preconceived notions regarding homosexuals challenged and comes away with a more open mind.

Check it out!

I also enjoyed it very much. Although he came away much more "open minded", I don't think he has much of a chance of swaying his family away from their stereotyped views of GLBT individuals. The little clip at the end when he returned home was sort of a "downer". Maybe I wrong, and I hope that I am, but I think his family will sway him back in the other direction. It was a good show, however.

I agree the parents' quiet jeers at the end as Ryan recapped his journey brought the whole thing to a sobering conclusion. From that short 60 minute program, Ryan doesn't strike me as the head strong 'take up the cause' type of guy who will set the record 'straight' when the gay-hating, bible-quoters start their 'it's a sin' mantras.

I honestly thought we were going to see his 'best friend' come out during his short visit to SF. That guy seemed awfully comfortable peeling off his shirt and dancing on a box in a gay bar, didn't he? (Not that I'm complaining mind you ;-) )

Guest bighugbearphx

I had to wonder about Ryan's "best friend", a guy who traveled all the way from MI to CA to visit him for a couple of days. Was it me, or was he awful curious (asking the roommate) about "how did you know you were gay?" and was practically salivating when it was announced that they were going out to a gay bar (a place that Ryan had already been to, and wasn't really crazy about going back to.) The friend dragged Ryan up on a stage at the bar, took his shirt off, and got Ryan to do the same. Even the roommate was a bit puzzled over that.

I want to thank Jeff for mentioning this show or I would have missed it. Caught a rerun last night and thought it was very well done and covered alot of territory in a short time.

Yeah, I think my gaydar went off big time when the friend came to visit. As for what changes the str8 guy will make in his thinking, I believe the seeds were sown in SF, and while it may not be obvious when he is with family, I doubt he can ever think the same about his view of gays and sin. And when his friend finally does come out to him, that will also make a difference

Cock Eyed..Exactly,You return to your Environment,you grew up in, any questions in your mind very quickly will fade away. Then it is Life as Usual..I am wondering why they didn't find a Less Attractive Guy, for this Experiment? Ratings? God knows there are more AVERAGE Joe's around than a "Hot Farm Boy", who I am sure is very Happy having the "Farm Girls" follow him into the Barn on Sat Nite! LOL :+

Archived