TV ADS: THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY

samhexum

Some of the current ads that have me running for the remote:

The Choice Hotel ads - with that fucking idiot who can only say "ba-da-book ba-da-boom" It was barely funny the first time - now they really need to stop this shit.

The Ameritrade ads - with that fucking bearded idiot who seems to be trying to do a really bad Colbert impression while he asks people stupid annoying questions. Especially the one with the woman talking about golf.

One of the current National Car Rental ads with Patrick Warburton. Now, I've had more than a bit of a crush on "Puddy" ever since his Seinfeld days. And he still looks pretty great. But I really really really don't need him to show me his trying to take out his own appendix. That's just creepy.

I also think it's really time to say goodbye to Flo and Jamie at Progressive. Even though he's sorta cute in his dorky, boyish way. But I just think it's time for a new gimmick. They've been at this for a long, long time - and it shows. And, most of their ads don't really seem to advertise anything.

OMG!! I don't need to list the 4 ads that are currently driving me bonkers because you've already done so! And the reasoning you gave is all stated perfectly!

FYI: I'd probably rate that damnably awful Choice Hotels ad as the absolute worst offender what with that smug jerk standing there & then uttering his phrase of nincompoopery! The Ameritrade ad grates badly & rates as a very close 2nd worst.

P.S. Did you all know that Patrick Warburton (the National Car Rental buffoon) used to be gorgeously handsome & built when he was in his 1980's era prime, well before he got noticed for his role in Seinfeld. **see pics below from grade D flick Dragonard**

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjMZwf4k3JFPqXy7B9JaoQ9gv6Ook_W0G38TfVWI38Xb0O8j7Ihttp://i52.tinypic.com/2vmeu82.jpgth?id=OIP.9MLFWcGdOj1W8EtISq4M-QHaLa

dragonard36.jpg

Did you all know that Patrick Warburton (the National Car Rental buffoon) used to be gorgeously handsome & built when he was in his 1980's era prime

Yes, I did. The first time I ever saw him was in the Jamie Lee Curtis/Richard Lewis show ANYTHING BUT LOVE. He played a bodyguard who was hired to protect Lewis, but wound up coming on to him while wearing just a towel wrapped around his waist. I think I still have it on vhs somewhere.

The new crop of ads with Warburton are perhaps even worse. Can somebody even explain to me what happens at the end of the “lose the wait” one when he ends up with Tony what’s-his-name’s hair? Huh?

Though I do like him in general - I thought he was sexy as “Puddy” on Seinfeld.

One of the newer Jamie ads - where he shrieks in falsetto when they go to “a bigger room” and his mother appears and all that - what the hell is all of that shit?

OMG!! I don't need to list the 4 ads that are currently driving me bonkers because you've already done so! And the reasoning you gave is all stated perfectly!

FYI: I'd probably rate that damnably awful Choice Hotels ad as the absolute worst offender what with that smug jerk standing there & then uttering his phrase of nincompoopery! The Ameritrade ad grates badly & rates as a very close 2nd worst.

P.S. Did you all know that Patrick Warburton (the National Car Rental buffoon) used to be gorgeously handsome & built when he was in his 1980's era prime, well before he got noticed for his role in Seinfeld. **see pics below from grade D flick Dragonard**

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjMZwf4k3JFPqXy7B9JaoQ9gv6Ook_W0G38TfVWI38Xb0O8j7Ihttp://i52.tinypic.com/2vmeu82.jpgth?id=OIP.9MLFWcGdOj1W8EtISq4M-QHaLa

dragonard36.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm sick of Kelly Rippa's ad for Ancestry.com. She acts like it's such a revelation that she comes from Italian heritage - like she wouldn't have known that if not for Ancestry's DNA kit. Wouldn't one be somewhat aware of such a simple basic fact about one's self from a much younger age than she is?

• 3 weeks later...

Reebok Russia may have taken the phrase “in your face” a little too far, insinuating oral sex in a recent ad.

“Sit not on the needle of men’s approval — sit on men’s face,” states a slogan they posted alongside Russian feminist Zalina Marshenkulova — seen in a provocative crouching position.

After some social media users decried the ad, Marshenkulova poked fun at them on Facebook,writing, “God, save Russia from me and from cunnilingus.”

“We live in a world where advertising is a zone of chauvinism and in every second woman is used as bait,” she added.

One Twitter user, @Ales13965094, accused the ad of displaying “sexist propaganda against men.”

The ad was part of Reebok’s global “Be More Human” campaign, which the company says is intended to uplift women and features pop singer Ariana Grande, actress Gal Gadot and model Gigi Hadid.

Along with Marshenkulova, European grappling champion Anzhelika Pilyaeva and MMA fighter Justyna Graczyk feature in the campaign.

“I covered my nipples so that you don’t cut yourself,” reads the slogan next to Graczyk, who is clad in a sports bra and boxing gloves.

Reebok Russia initially pulled all its controversial ads amid the backlash.

“Reebok gave the floor to girls who have something to say and who are not shy about being themselves,” the company posted on Instagram. “Unfortunately, after the publication of some pictures, it became clear that part of the content cannot be published.”

It later re-posted all of the ads except the one of Marshenkulova with the racy “face” message.

Marketing director Alexander Golofast resigned over the ad, according to Russia’s TV Rain.

“I’m just ashamed that I look so ridiculous,” he was quoted as saying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Commercials for the app "cargurus." (Which is a rotten name because it's really awkward to pronounce - it should, I assume, be "Car Gurus," but it naturally wants to sound like "cargaroos" which means nothing. Sounds like a car crossed with a kangaroo, lol.)

The original commercial was cute in its own way, if a bit sexist (but still cute) - the husband has gone through hell to figure out what kind of car to get - the wife comes in, uses the app, finds the right car in seconds. She walks away, proud - he grumbles sarcastically ("I guess we'll do it your way...") - we hear her say from the other room, "I heard that..."

As I said, cute. Which isn't bad. Worth a smile. Kinda charming.

But now they have this same couple - all this time later - doing a new series of ads. I've seen two of them now in the last few days, and they are terribly boring. And I think that the problem is that neither "character" really has any personality. What made the original ad fun was the situation and the stock "battle of the sexes" joke. The new ads don't seem to have any of that. They fall totally flat. Epic fail.

Edited by bostonman

• 3 weeks later...

If someone were to dress up in a phone book costume and sing in a piano lounge, I would pay to see that. The audiences in those types of places are far more fun to watch than the actual performers. I love the commercial with the hunky mermen. That's a rewind and pause pleasure.

Commercials for the app "cargurus." (Which is a rotten name because it's really awkward to pronounce - it should, I assume, be "Car Gurus," but it naturally wants to sound like "cargaroos" which means nothing. Sounds like a car crossed with a kangaroo, lol.)

The original commercial was cute in its own way, if a bit sexist (but still cute) - the husband has gone through hell to figure out what kind of car to get - the wife comes in, uses the app, finds the right car in seconds. She walks away, proud - he grumbles sarcastically ("I guess we'll do it your way...") - we hear her say from the other room, "I heard that..."

As I said, cute. Which isn't bad. Worth a smile. Kinda charming.

But now they have this same couple - all this time later - doing a new series of ads. I've seen two of them now in the last few days, and they are terribly boring. And I think that the problem is that neither "character" really has any personality. What made the original ad fun was the situation and the stock "battle of the sexes" joke. The new ads don't seem to have any of that. They fall totally flat. Epic fail.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/105500/Kangaroo-Joy-Riding-in-a-Fast-Car--105983.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Trivago pitchman found passed out behind wheel of car, charged with DWI

The “Trivago guy,” best known for appearing in television commercials to helptravelers find their “ideal hotel for the best price,” was arrested Wednesday inHouston for allegedly driving while intoxicated, authorities said.

Actor Timothy Williams, 52, was found passed out behind the steering wheel of a car around 3:15 p.m., Houston police said. He was in a moving lane of traffic with a foot on the brake, according to police.

The charming pitchman for the German discount travel website then allegedly failed a sobriety test and submitted a blood sample to test for alcohol before he was charged, FOX26 Houston reported.

Williams, who grew up in Houston, was ordered to have a mental health or intellectual disability assessment, before he was released on $100 bond, the Houston Chroniclereported.

He was scheduled to appear in court on April 17.

Although widely recognized as the face of Trivago, Williams’ other acting credits include “The Sopranos,” “Law and Order” and several German television series, according to his IMDB biography.

tim-williams-trivago.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Jamie from Progressive was an accident victim on STATION 19 last night.  He was moonlighting as a delivery driver.  You'd think Flo would've made an appearance at the accident site, but she was nowhere to be found.

Here's How Much TV Commercial Stars Make

Edited by samhexum

• 1 year later...