Jump to content

London, A City That Is Hurting


rohale
 Share

This topic is 6037 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recommended Posts

I figured sooner or late, someone will have to talk about the terrible tragedy. It's difficult for someone like myself, but I'll try my best and avoid being too political as best as possible. I think by now the whole world knows what happened in the capital of Great Britain early Thursday on the morning of July 7, 2005. At approximately 9a.m ( GMT ), a bomb blast in four different parts of London were detonated and thus far have left 37 people dead, 700 injured with 45 in critical condition. Having to watch those images coming in from London thru ITN News and the BBC was tugging at the heart strings. Even though I live in the United States, I'm bias due to the reason that I come from that part of the world and it hurts like hell to know that such harm can take place and in rush hour traffic where people are trying to get to work on time. Innocent lives thrashed and torn by zealouts in one form or another.

 

The sad part is only forty eight hours ago, there were tremendous cheers coming out of London as the IOC awarded the city the rights to hold the 2012 Summer Olympic Games. Within 24 hours that mood is shattered. I think it's going to be a while before cooler heads can prevail. For me the hardest was trying to make telephone calls into London. Yesterday morning was quite tough in trying to get hold of loved ones who reside in London and not knowing that some family members and one or two close friends were within the bomb blast areas at the time of the tragedy. In the process feeling the angst of pain and uncomfortably miserable for the whole day worrying.

 

For all the residents of London, this event will be etched in stone for the rest of their lives. When I was drving into work yesterday morning I was listening to as much of talk radio as possbile. Across the radio dial there was one constant theme and that was the comparison and feelings of 9/11. I was thinking if I wasn't living in the States during 9/11, it wouldn't be as meaningful, but because I was already in America and I had lived in New York a few years before the tragedy in 2001. I felt this emotional connection to what had happened at that point in time. Now it's deja vu all over again for me. I know that part of the United Kingdom and that culture all so well. I suppose it's not meant to get any easier. For most of the world the events in London will be forgotten by next week and for the rest it'll live with us just that much more longer.

 

I think within the boundaries of the UK, I feel very sorry for the muslim communtiy in general. Over the next few days tempers could flare and parts of London's asian community could be on the receiving end of violence. It just takes one stone to be thrown into someone's home or place of business and that little spark could ignite into something more dangerous and deadly. Especially youths who always take advantage in situations like this because some feel like it. This is what worries me the most about a pontential fallout.

 

Alright, it's already too much for me as it is. If I can say one thing, just remember one aspect of this carnage, 37 innocent hearts stopped beating yesterday morning. My heart definitely goes out the loved ones of the victims. I cant go any further than this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tony Blair got it just right when he said "We won't be terrorized." The Brits have been dealing with crises for centuries and they do it incredibly well. Responding to terror attacks in an understated way, if you will, instead of letting them become a national crisis that changes your identity removes a great deal of the power of the terrorist.

 

Beyond admiration for the British response, I offer sympathy to all of our British friends for the pain and suffering caused by yesterday's attack. The US has friends in many places but the Brits are special.

 

BG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I figured sooner or late, someone will have to talk about the

>terrible tragedy.

 

Why? What on earth does it have to do with a website devoted to male prostitution?

 

And what constructive purpose is served by re-hashing the same facts and the same sentiments everyone who owns a radio or television has already heard again and again and again and again?

 

If you're posting about it because you simply can't get enough of seeing your own thoughts in print, fine -- no law against that. But there's no need to pretend that you "have to" talk about it here. That's ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Fisher

> Why? What on earth does it have to do with a website devoted to male prostitution?

 

Perhaps you should read the intro to this forum a little more carefully

 

The Lounge

Protected forum

A place to gather and exchange ideas. NO Politics, NO Religion, NO War. Please take these topics to the appropriate Forum. Thanks!

Moderators: Cooper, Barry

 

"gather and exchange ideas"

 

 

> If you're posting about it because you simply can't get enough of seeing your own thoughts in print

 

LOL – Hello Pot let me introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

 

Cheers,

Fisher :7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>Wood, why must you always ruin a good thread that some of us

>care about

>

 

Why does seeing a dissenting opinion "ruin" a thread for you? Is it really so painful to you to encounter such opinions? If so, the logical course of action is to turn off your computer and talk to yourself. Then you will never need to worry about experiencing the pain and horror of seeing opinions you don't share.

 

As to why I posted the opinion that "ruined" your enjoyment of this thread about a mass murder, I posted it because I don't understand why anyone would think it constructive to repeat once again the exact same sentiments we've all heard over and over and over during the past twenty-four hours. What purpose does that serve? Can you answer that question? Or don't you know either?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>> Why? What on earth does it have to do with a website

>devoted to male prostitution?

>

>Perhaps you should read the intro to this forum a little more

>carefully

>

>The Lounge

>Protected forum

>A place to gather and exchange ideas. NO Politics, NO

>Religion, NO War. Please take these topics to the appropriate

>Forum.

 

>

>"gather and exchange ideas"

 

Yeah, I saw that. Did you see the part about "NO Politics, NO Religion, NO War"? Or did you miss that part? If you missed it, perhaps you should read the intro to this forum a little more carefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I don't

>understand why anyone would think it constructive to repeat

>once again the exact same sentiments we've all heard over and

>over and over during the past twenty-four hours. What purpose

>does that serve?

 

I guess it serves the same purpose as you posting the same things ("Escorts are immoral because they help married men cheat on their wives!" "Prostitutes are breaking the law so you can't expect them to be honest and trustworthy!") over and over and over 2,000 times here. :7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I think Tony Blair got it just right when he said "We won't

>be terrorized."

 

This would certainly be the first time Tony Bliar got anything right. This bombing in London wouldn't have happened if Bliar and Shrub hadn't abandoned the war on terror to go after Saddam. If there is blood running in the subways of London, part of the blame lies squarely with Bliar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I guess it serves the same purpose as you posting the same

>things ("Escorts are immoral because they help married men

>cheat on their wives!" "Prostitutes are breaking the law so

>you can't expect them to be honest and trustworthy!") over and

>over and over 2,000 times here.

 

Not really, Rick. I only mention the fact that prostitutes like you take money to help married men deceive and betray their wives when one of you guys starts lecturing others on the importance of qualities like honesty and integrity. And I only mention the fact that prostitutes like you make a living committing crimes when someone comes to this board to express astonishment that a prostitute he dealt with did not prove to be a model of honesty and integrity. See the difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>See the difference?

>

>The only difference I see is that Rohale's post came from the

>heart and therefore has emotional resonance.

>

 

Oh, but my posts on the subjects we are discussing also come from the heart, I assure you. I really do feel a profound antipathy toward people who presume to lecture me on the importance of honesty and integrity when their own behavior shows that those qualities mean absolutely nothing to them. I really, really do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>Oh, but my posts on the subjects we are discussing also

>come

>>from the heart

>

>Whose did you borrow?

 

Why, Rick, that sounds almost like a personal attack. But it can't be, because you have said over and over and over again that you NEVER engage in personal attacks here, isn't that right? And you wouldn't lie about something like that, would you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Fisher

> Did you see the part about "NO Politics, NO Religion, NO War"? Or did you miss that part?

> If you missed it, perhaps you should read the intro to this forum a little more carefully.

 

No. You need to read Rohole’ s post more carefully. His post was not political, not religious, and only tangentially war- related. Now if you start to post one of your long, voluminous responses, this thread might change to political and then be moved to the politics forum.

 

Cheers,

Fisher ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>Why, Rick, that sounds almost like a personal attack. But it

>can't be, because you have said over and over and over again

>that you NEVER engage in personal attacks here, isn't that

>right?

 

I haven't ever engaged in personal attacks, but I've also never said "over and over and over again" that I don't engage in personal attacks. Unlike you, I don't feel the need to needlessly & constantly repeat the same thing.

 

And if you think what I said was a "personal attack," then everything ever posted here is a "personal attack" and the phrase "personal attack" has no meaning. But personally, I like getting personally attacked with a wet tongue or a hard cock. }(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>> Did you see the part about "NO Politics, NO Religion, NO

>War"? Or did you miss that part?

>> If you missed it, perhaps you should read the intro to this

>forum a little more carefully.

 

>No. You need to read Rohole’ s post more carefully. His post

>was not political, not religious, and only tangentially war-

>related.

 

I find it hard to see how you can characterize a post about a terrorist attack in retaliation for the war in Iraq as "tangentially war-related." Do you own a dictionary?

 

>Now if you start to post one of your long,

>voluminous responses, this thread might change to political

>and then be moved to the politics forum.

 

So what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>Why, Rick, that sounds almost like a personal attack. But

>it

>>can't be, because you have said over and over and over again

>>that you NEVER engage in personal attacks here, isn't that

>>right?

 

>I haven't ever engaged in personal attacks,

 

Then what did you mean by saying "Whose did you borrow?" You didn't mean to suggest I don't have a heart, did you? That would be a personal attack, wouldn't it?

 

> Unlike you, I don't feel the need to

>needlessly & constantly repeat the same thing.

 

Well, it only becomes necessary to repeat something when the person or persons I'm addressing lack the intelligence to understand it the first time I say it, or lack the honesty to acknowledge it.

 

>And if you think what I said was a "personal attack," then

>everything ever posted here is a "personal attack"

 

Well actually, Rick, if your post wasn't meant to suggest that I don't have a heart, then what exactly did it mean? Well?

 

And if you don't want to answer the question the first time I ask it, I don't mind repeating it over and over and over again until you do. In fact, I don't mind repeating it every time I see a post from you on this board from now on. I'm a patient fellow. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Fisher

> So what?

 

What gives? Your responses are usually

much more virulent and pedantical. I guess

the new rules are working.

 

Cheers,

Fisher ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick my sweet, the guy's relentless... a one trick pony... a one note Charlie... an ArguBotTM... a professional curmudgeon... the only approach that works:

 

src=http://www.intellectualpoison.com/Pics/troll.jpg

 

 

He's got a better, purer, freer place to spew now with the Mean Girls Serial Killers! Just give 'em some rope, bud. :*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>He's got a better, purer, freer place to spew now with the

>>Mean Girls Serial Killers! Just give 'em some rope,

>>bud.

>

>Somehow, that doesn't strike me as a very gentlemanly

>comment.

 

Of course it wasn't gentlemanly, BoN. It was exactly the kind of hateful personal attack that Raife has objected to on this board time and time again. But the fact that he has repeatedly criticized others for indulging in that sort of behavior obviously does not stop him from indulging in it whenever it pleases him to do so. That's what makes him such a hypocrite. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...