Accidental Vintage Eye Candy

OneFinger

This topic is 6040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>The Internet is a "Great Theraputic Outlet".. That Group of

>People on E/Speak Site.. Sure are using it for that Reason...A

>Definite Bunch of "Bitter" People. I wish them Luck in This

>Life and The Next! LOL :+

Despite how you couch your posts in quotes and such, you sound like you'd be at home amongst the bitter people. Was there a reason to bring up your opinion in this thread?

Actually I can Thank "Nick".... for that. I never knew what the "To Do" was, til I checked out Your Link in THIS THREAD! Thanks..Now I know what "Birds of a Feather Flock Together" means..Because it doesn't sound like any of those "Mature Turkeys" have been laid in a Long Time..LOL :+

Why do you think it was accidental?

We, my friends, are hardly the first ones to notice that sex sells. Nor are we the first generation to like to look at sexy men. In fact, back in the Renaissance or so, there were certain subjects that were painted over and over because it gave the painter such a good, "legitimate" excuse to paint sexy men? Just check out any painting of Saint Sebastian. (You know me and my poor memory for names, I nearly had to refer to him as Saint Full-of-Arrows.)

RE: Why do you think it was accidental?

The first one looks a bit embarassed to be letting God see those arrows. The third is a gorgeous little twink by today's standards, though a bit femme for some. The middle one is woh! sexy - yes! but it looks a bit more recently painted than the other two. Who did it?

I googled "Saint Sabastian Painting" and this is what came up. I "thought" they were all his work. Perhaps I'm wrong.

But, he did some fantastic artwork. Thanks for making me aware of his paintings. :*

>Actually I can Thank "Nick".... for that. I never knew what

>the "To Do" was, til I checked out Your Link in THIS THREAD!

>Thanks..Now I know what "Birds of a Feather Flock Together"

>means..Because it doesn't sound like any of those "Mature

>Turkeys" have been laid in a Long Time..LOL :+

"A sphincter says "what?""- Wayne, Wayne's World

A tiny bit of confusion, One Finger, St. Sebastian wasn't the painter, he was the subject. If my memory serves, and you know that's not always the case, young Sebastian was serving at some far flung military post when something he did ticked off the local command and they executed him with a firing squad of archers. That's why he's always shown full of arrows. He's also the patron saint of gay men, though I don't know how that happened - whether it was before or after so many gay men had paintings of him in their homes, and whether it is or is not official in a church which might not think gay men deserve a patron saint.

That middle painting, so nearly a photograph compared to the other two - I want to guess Caravagio painted it. And that he also painted The Chastisement of Love, or The Chastisement of Eros, or some similar title, which I had hanging in one of my college rooms for similar reasons, before I even really knew that I was into BDSM.

Why do you say "accidental"? The artist, unless I'm wrong, of all these is J.C. Lyendecker, who drew "the Arrow Collar Man," a handsome man used in product advertising for the Arrow Collar.

In THE GAY BOOK OF DAYS, they write that the ACMan received "carloads of fan letters from adoring women eager to discover the identity of the sexy artist's model. Some proposed marriage. Little did they know that the Arrow Collar Man was the artist's lover, Charles Beach..."

That Olympics cover is one of long wanted to own, and not because it's The Saturday Evening Post! *Sigh*