Overused and empty words

actor61

Literally, if this thread goes on any longer I won't be able write another sentence at the end of the day. I clearly don't have the right skill set but it is what it is.

Whatever. I guess going forward I'll have to find alternative words. With that said, it could be a win-win for everyone involved, just saying.

If you have any ideas on how to avoid these words feel free to ping me and we can take it offline.

#atalossforwords

This reminds me of an exchange from I Love Lucy:

Literally, if this thread goes on any longer I won't be able write another sentence at the end of the day. I clearly don't have the right skill set but it is what it is.

Whatever. I guess going forward I'll have to find alternative words. With that said, it could be a win-win for everyone involved, just saying.

If you have any ideas on how to avoid these words feel free to ping me and we can take it offline.

#atalossforwords

lol

Word I do not need to hear: Snowflake.

I love this term: I love that it can usually be turned around on its user.

Bless your heart!

The ironic use of this, or 'Bless his heart', is a gem to be encouraged. At the risk of overgeneralising, Southerners have a knack of saying, 'You're a dick', without saying it.

...No problem (instead of "you're welcome)...

The following is courtesy of "All Things Linguistic"

"‘No problem’, coming from a millennial’s mouth, within the context of helping someone – whether it be holding a door open/picking up something someone may have dropped/etc. – and, naturally, being thanked for it, implies that the kind gesture was indeed, not a problem, that it was just the thing to do, that they were happy to help and that no thanks was really necessary.

While a Baby Boomer’s ‘You’re welcome’ in contrast, says something miles different, it actually highlights the fact that the person went out of their way to help someone; almost brings attention to it in a way, saying 'Yeah, I helped you, I did you this favor I accept your thanks.’ which, malicious intent or not, is strikingly different than the millennial downplay of their act of kindness for the sake of helping someone."

In other words, the use of "no problem" is akin to saying "it is my pleasure" or "don't mention it." Both expressions pre-date the common use of "you are welcome."

Here is the entire article.

The following is courtesy of "All Things Linguistic"

"‘No problem’, coming from a millennial’s mouth, within the context of helping someone – whether it be holding a door open/picking up something someone may have dropped/etc. – and, naturally, being thanked for it, implies that the kind gesture was indeed, not a problem, that it was just the thing to do, that they were happy to help and that no thanks was really necessary.

While a Baby Boomer’s ‘You’re welcome’ in contrast, says something miles different, it actually highlights the fact that the person went out of their way to help someone; almost brings attention to it in a way, saying 'Yeah, I helped you, I did you this favor I accept your thanks.’ which, malicious intent or not, is strikingly different than the millennial downplay of their act of kindness for the sake of helping someone."

In other words, the use of "no problem" is akin to saying "it is my pleasure" or "don't mention it." Both expressions pre-date the common use of "you are welcome."

Here is the entire article.

For me, nothing announces one's curmudgeonliness to the world like one who gripes about the young 'uns who say 'no problem' instead of 'you're welcome'.

From work... "I hope this email finds you well." Overused and doesn't make any sense.

I'm guilty of the basic idea, though I tend to say "I hope you're doing well" or something similar, rather than the grammatical stupidity of hoping that "the email finds" - even if we all understand what's really meant.

But of course the whole need to use that kind of greeting is rather superfluous - it's a meaningless way of easing into the real purpose of the email rather than a sincere wish that the person is well. It's a bit of politeness, but nothing more than that.