Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it on gayfilm.me

Hi,

my second hobby is watching all type of movies, and now that some of us will have a lot of time to kill, here a couple of online sites that have a good selection of popular and obscure gay-themed movies; not all of them are good but I found some interesting ones about hustlers, older-younger relationships and some oldies that I 've heard before but I was never able to see.

I use a good VPN, so I hope you guys use one too; I have watched movies on these sites for over a year and I never have a problem, but be cautious. There are a lot of foreign films with subtitles with a lot of beautiful guys.

enjoy:

https://gayfilm.me/category/a-feature-film/page/9/

https://orvel.me/film

:cool:

just watched a french gay movie on amazon prime. Poltergay.

very cute, funny, gratuitous butt shots.

amazon gay movie "drawn back home" gay boy kicked out by parents moves to Chicago, goes back home to see best friend, they eventually kiss.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw "My Straight Son," (original title "Azul y no tan rosa" - Blue & Not So Pink) a Venezuelan movie I had been wanting to see since I saw the preview years ago. It's about a gay father (Diego) in Venezuela whose teenage Spanish son (Armando) comes to live with him for a while. With all the chaos in Diego's life -- his boyfriend Fabrizio is in a coma after being gay-bashed -- the unexpected arrival of his straight (and homophobic) son really complicates matters.

The movie got a lot of great reviews and won the Goya (Spain's equivalent of the Oscars) for best Ibero-American film (although how many movies compete in that category?). I wonder if some of the raves weren't more for the themes the film takes on -- anti-gay violence, domestic violence, trans issues -- than the film's actual merits.

I thought the movie tried to take on too much and that some of the acting was uneven. It also bothered me that the actor playing the 15yo son was 20 at the time of shooting and looked a lot more like 20 than 15. But Guillermo García, who plays the protagonist Diego, was simply brilliant & more than made up for whatever other of the film's flaws.

All in all, it's definitely worth seeing. A low-res version can be found on YouTube, but no subtitles. I don't know if it's available on Netflix or other streaming services.

I finally saw "My Straight Son," (original title "Azul y no tan rosa" - Blue & Not So Pink) a Venezuelan movie I had been wanting to see since I saw the preview years ago. It's about a gay father (Diego) in Venezuela whose teenage Spanish son (Armando) comes to live with him for a while. With all the chaos in Diego's life -- his boyfriend Fabrizio is in a coma after being gay-bashed -- the unexpected arrival of his straight (and homophobic) son really complicates matters.

The movie got a lot of great reviews and won the Goya (Spain's equivalent of the Oscars) for best Ibero-American film (although how many movies compete in that category?). I wonder if some of the raves weren't more for the themes the film takes on -- anti-gay violence, domestic violence, trans issues -- than the film's actual merits.

I thought the movie tried to take on too much and that some of the acting was uneven. It also bothered me that the actor playing the 15yo son was 20 at the time of shooting and looked a lot more like 20 than 15. But Guillermo García, who plays the protagonist Diego, was simply brilliant & more than made up for whatever other of the film's flaws.

All in all, it's definitely worth seeing. A low-res version can be found on YouTube, but no subtitles. I don't know if it's available on Netflix or other streaming services.

Thanks for the review. As you point out, sometimes a great performance can make up for other deficiencies in a movie.

Hammam (aka Steam). Love affair that develops between an Italian older married man and younger man, centers around Hammam culture in Turkey.

Dude, that's my favorite gay movie and one of my favorite movies. I've posted clips of it all over this site. Good on you :)

Dude, that's my favorite gay movie and one of my favorite movies. I've posted clips of it all over this site. Good on you :)

Haha me too. The movie is filmed beautifully, and the emotion and sensuality of the acting is palpable.

I have become a huge fan of Hammam - meaning, going to Hammam, as a result. There are very few Hammam in US but there are many in Europe. Hammam is an amazing spiritual and physical cleansing ritual. My favorite in Europe (so far) is at the Grand Mosque in Paris.

Yet my search for Hamman came up empty. (One mention of Hamman in Istanbul.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, JEC said:

Hammam (aka Steam). Love affair that develops between an Italian older married man and younger man, centers around Hammam culture in Turkey.

Recently watched based on comments here from JEC & Rod Hagen. Spoiler alert...ending broke my heart. Came out of nowhere. 

Well done movie. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I never get tired of watching A Room with a View  a film produced by Merchant Ivory Productions.   Producer Ismail Merchant and director James Ivory were life partners.  The story was drawn from the book by E.M. Forster, a gay British author. 

Lucy's brother, the sweet Freddy Honeychurch, is not a gay character although he is quite smitten with the character George Emmerson, so one might wonder. 

No need to clutch your pearls.  Rupert Graves was 22 when this filmed.

spacer.png

The hidden gem of the movie might be Daniel Day Lewis as the effete Cecil.

You might complain it's not really a gay movie.   

OK.

Then Maurice is another I never get tired of watching.  Another Merchant Ivory production based on another book by Forster. 

In this production, Ivory has Rupert Graves playing cricket instead of tennis.  He's still cute!  

Edited by E.T.Bass
grammar

'Beautiful Thing' directed by Hettie Macdonald. 

It's a British movie about two teenage boys who live in the same apartment block in East London and fall in love with each other, and all the ensuing chaos. 

The movie is very relatable at certain points for those of us who knew we were gay or bi when we were kids/teens.

Very sad in parts but also very funny, too. I 100% recommend.

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, E.T.Bass said:

I never get tired of watching A Room with a View  a film produced by Merchant Ivory Productions.   Producer Ismail Merchant and director James Ivory were life partners.  The story was drawn from the book by E.M. Forster, a gay British author. 

Lucy's brother, the sweet Freddy Honeychurch, is not a gay character although he is quite smitten with the character George Emmerson, so one might wonder. 

No need to clutch your pearls.  Rupert Graves was 22 when this filmed.

spacer.png

The hidden gem of the movie might be Daniel Day Lewis as the effete Cecil.

You might complain it's not really a gay movie.   

OK.

Then Maurice is another I never get tired of watching.  Another Merchant Ivory production based on another book by Forster. 

In this production, Ivory has Rupert Graves playing cricket instead of tennis.  He's still cute!  

Freddy Honeychurch revisited.  

1). God’s Own Country… Movie about a young man’s struggle coming to terms with his need for male intimacy thru a love  based relationship~  
  Profound and familiar to those who have ever been faced with straight life expectations and discovered they needed something more~ Compelling. Thick Accents but, don’t let that stop you. Believable and shows the hero nature of a man becoming to himself~ 

2). We The Animals: A coming of age story of three brothers growing up under the confusion of conflicted parents who have a turbulent and unresolved love relationship. The youngest of the three sorts thru the experiences in his world via illustrating a diary he hides under the bed~ In a sort of “rites of passage” adolescence, the youngest discovers his true nature and finds his own path towards becoming a young man~ Gay content. Real. Visceral. Intense. Magical. Heart warming. 

3). Farewell My Concubine: Two Chinese Orphan boys find homes in a Chinese opera house. Each is cultured to play the lead roles in a traditional Chinese Opera depicting the forbidden love between the emperor and his beloved concubine whom he betrays in the end but, regrets eternally~  One is forced to play the male role of the Emperior while the other is forced to play the female concubine role~
 The strict standards of the opera guild force not only perfection on the stage but, inevitably, the boys take on the roles in their real time lives~ They become the characters themselves flawlessly~ The movie takes you thru their journey from childhood to adulthood and thru the great revolution of Beijing~ Brilliantly scripted, edited and directed… Flawless acting~ Outstanding cinematography~ Lots of history~ Insightful, engaging and emotional~ In some ways it depicts a tragedy but, then again a victory of true love and dedication that is profound~  Mandarin and Cantonese w/ English subtitles. Depicts Historical events. Strong themes. Beyond gender bending: Gender roles redefined. Beautiful. Tragic. A cinemagraphic treasure~