Hotels / Other Suggestions in Phuket

musclelover
This topic is 1925 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys. Any suggestions for a good place to stay in Phuket? Preferably convenient to the gay nightlife/gay beach area. Are the gay guesthouses a good idea?

Also, any suggestions for the best way to approach the nightlife - especially looking for muscle guys. So, the "regular" gay bars/clubs as well as the bars/clubs with the working boys. Muscles are a must! :)

And, of course, any suggestions for how to best spend the days (which beaches are best, any recommended day trips, etc.).

And, finally, any good gyms to workout in?

Many thanks!

Hi, nynakedtop. Yes, it's my first time there - and I want to combine a relaxing few days in a beach area with a thriving nightlife (I realize that it is less thriving than Bangkok's nightlife). So I thought that Phuket would provide the right balance. Appreciate your thoughts very much.

• 1 year later...
Phuket is not a relaxing place... it is (in)famous for scams, touts, rip-offs, and so on... an over-developed rather unattractive island, if you ask me. while there is some nightlife to be had and if that is an important consideration, you could enjoy the place, but just keep your guard up!

Interested in your advice re SE Asia. Do you have top picks for the nicest beaches with the nicest local guys?

• 2 weeks later...
Interested in your advice re SE Asia. Do you have top picks for the nicest beaches with the nicest local guys?

I don't think nynakedtop will be much around this forum anymore.....

I'm definitely no expert on Phuket as I've only been there once (a year ago), but can make a few comments......I don't think it's really a gay mecca and the only central major party spot is well-known Bangla (Road) in the Patong Beach area.....though exceedingly touristy and noisy, it was actually fun to wander the street amid the throngs and people-watch.....a couple blocks away are a couple side streets with a gay bent to them.....

as nynakedtop suggests further upthread, Phuket is not the perfect destination.....while basic situational awareness will probably keep you from being mugged or conned, I found the physical layout of the island itself led to expensive (for Thailand) taxi rides/transport and complicated day-trip planning.....there are some ultra-expensive resorts and cheaper options....many visitors will simply ensconce themselves at a hotel and hang out at the adjacent beach, rarely venturing away from the immediate area, except for an evening visit to Bangla or a day-long boat trip to popular adjacent islands......the island is just big enough that quick taxi rides here and there aren't practical.......even arranging transport at the airport upon arrival was not utterly easy (unless pre-arranged by your hotel (for a price)!).......many of the far-flung beaches are, though, very pretty.....we stayed in the quieter west-facing Bangtao Beach area and sunsets were fantastic.....some trash, though, scattered about the nice long beach.......but, other than the water and beaches, the island is not utterly beautiful and recent frantic development is evident in some areas.....

I don't think nynakedtop will be much around this forum anymore.....

I'm definitely no expert on Phuket as I've only been there once (a year ago), but can make a few comments......I don't think it's really a gay mecca and the only central major party spot is well-known Bangla (Road) in the Patong Beach area.....though exceedingly touristy and noisy, it was actually fun to wander the street amid the throngs and people-watch.....a couple blocks away are a couple side streets with a gay bent to them.....

as nynakedtop suggests further upthread, Phuket is not the perfect destination.....while basic situational awareness will probably keep you from being mugged or conned, I found the physical layout of the island itself led to expensive (for Thailand) taxi rides/transport and complicated day-trip planning.....there are some ultra-expensive resorts and cheaper options....many visitors will simply ensconce themselves at a hotel and hang out at the adjacent beach, rarely venturing away from the immediate area, except for an evening visit to Bangla or a day-long boat trip to popular adjacent islands......the island is just big enough that quick taxi rides here and there aren't practical.......even arranging transport at the airport upon arrival was not utterly easy (unless pre-arranged by your hotel (for a price)!).......many of the far-flung beaches are, though, very pretty.....we stayed in the quieter west-facing Bangtao Beach area and sunsets were fantastic.....some trash, though, scattered about the nice long beach.......but, other than the water and beaches, the island is not utterly beautiful and recent frantic development is evident in some areas.....

Thanks for this! Seems to short change on both natural beauty and the potential for mischief...

I will continue my search :)

Welcome any advice you may impart.

• 4 weeks later...