Museum musings

WilliamM I have never visited St. Petersburg thus I can’t comment on the Hermitage.

I did, however, neglect to mention two museums and one palace in Madrid.

The Prado - has probably the best collection of Spanish art of any museum in the world.

The Reina Sofia- is worth a visit if for no other reason than that Picasso’s Guernica resides there.

Palacio Liria (the Madrid home of the Alba family) - A year before my trip I applied for a visit. It is a home but damn what a home considering some of the magnificent Goya’s housed there. My tour was in Spanish and was led by the family’s chief archivist. Frankly it was an experience I will never forget and will always treasure.

When I visit the Barnes, and I will, I will definitely take you up on the lunch offer

I recently visited the newly renovated Rijksmuzeum in Amsterdam and found it greatly improved as a museum-going experience. I also cast another vote for seeing the new Barnes, where it is much easier to actually see the art than it was in the old building in Bala Cynwyd. (I'll admit it: I am one of those who often finds museum buildings more interesting than the art within them.)

To the list, I would like to add the Frick in NYC. It is a jewel box: small and intimate with really great art. Usually not crowded. Soon to be enlarged with the second floor opening to the public.

Two hours is about my limit in a museum or art gallery. After that I find myself reading the labels and not looking at the paintings. For that reason the Frick is my favourite. Terrific paintings and building and you can do the lot in under two hours.

The Wyeth museum in Chadds Ford is also a wonderful gem. A short drive from Manhattan.

cany, I call it the Wyeth Museum too. But the name is really Brandywine River Museum of Art. I would guess the museum is at least a two hour drive from Manhattan. Chadds Ford is interesting enough to consider staying over night in a hotel.

I loved spending a quiet day at The Cloisters in northern Manhattan, it is one of my faves, particularly hanging out in the gardens - cookie in hand & enjoying the sun. listening to a concert in the Fuentiduena chapel is mesmerizing.

@geminibear & @Gar1eth ...this would be the perfect setting for slaying your green dragon. ;)

And if you like museum dining Robert, the restaurant on the top floor of the Museum of Arts and Design on Columbus Circle in NYC is quite good and has spectacular views of Central Park.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane with The Robert! If you ever go back to this area, try Asiate across the street in the Mandarin Oriental. The views are expansive from almost any table.

I'm pretty much a philistine when it comes to Art Museums although I have visited the Louvre in France and the Kimbell in Fort Worth in the past. I also enjoyed a local Norman Rockwell Exhibit about two years ago. Within the last 18 months, I toured the Museum of Glass in Tacoma. However my forte and interests correlate more with science and history museums.

Gman

I am old enough to remember Guernica from the days when it was displayed at MOMA because Spain was still run by Franco. I haven't been back to MOMA since well before its closure for renovation (and apparently it's being renovated yet again), but it's well worth visiting if you like modern art. Its admission policies are less liberal than the much-larger Met's, though.

I haven't been to the Guggenheim in years after having been twice as a kid. (For some reason, it's one of the places we went on the sixth grade trip to NYC. I'd also visited with my parents not long before that.) It's expanded since and has a large collection of Mapplethorpe photos. (My interest was piqued by photos of his that were part of a special exhibit on nudity in photography at the Met.) I should go there.

The Rubin is on my list of places to visit. I didn't know it existed until a year or so ago.

I haven't been to the Guggenheim in years after having been twice as a kid. (For some reason, it's one of the places we went on the sixth grade trip to NYC. I'd also visited with my parents not long before that.) It's expanded since and has a large collection of Mapplethorpe photos. (My interest was piqued by photos of his that were part of a special exhibit on nudity in photography at the Met.) I should go there.

The Guggenheim and Neue Gallerie are only a block apart in NYC. I visit those museums more than other in the city. The Neue specializes in 20th century Austrian and German art (and occasionaly Russian). It's a small museum, and has a small permanent collection, which included Klimt's Woman in Gold. The Gallerie also has a wonderful German-Austrian restaurant (also open to the general public). The Guggenheim specializes in Kandinsky but often has exhibits on Russian and Italian 20th century art. The building is something you either love or hate. In both museums, the special exhibits are the main reason to visit.

Let me throw in another small yet important venue to visit... The Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino. . Home to Blue Boy and Pinkie...

Love the Huntington. Lunch or tea in the Tea House is a delightful experience. For those of us who are "movie queens," they have the Sarah Siddens, The Tragic Muse painting which was the basis for the award figure in "All About Eve." An amazing house-museum and gardens. Highly recommended.

Since the Rubin was mentioned a few times do you know the building used to be Barneys before they opened the big store uptown? They kept the original staircase and turned it into a very serene museum experience. Very few people go there I assume because the collection has a very specific collection of Himalayan art all collected by one very wealthy couple.

Edited by foxy

• 2 years later...

country rube that I am, I can't compete with these fancy international art museums......not much into art, but do like history museums......once spent an entire day in ONE WING of ONE FLOOR at the Smithsonian American History Museum in DC.......great eclectic mix of Americana: an original Tucker car, one of the first mini-vans, the history of the rise of Chinese take-out, the first PC, the first post-it notepad, a day in the life of a laundress in the 19th century, Julia Childs's kitchen, a continuous loop of the Coke "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" commercial, the rise of LA suburbs.........and there's a little bit more there!

a travel friend talked me into the National Portrait Gallery in DC......detailed cards next to the paintings explaining the related history saved the day for me....

I am very lucky to live within three block of The Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia. And yes I do check the guys ever time I visit the Barnes Museum. Sometimes, I go there for lunch just for the eye candy!

Lucky, indeed. That’s on my list during my next Philadelphia visit.

The Leslie-Lohman in lower Manhattan is an oft-overlooked gem.

https://www.leslielohman.org/

The Leonard Fink exhibition (up through the summer) is worth the trip.

A fun museum. Not listed is that they have regular drawing classes with nude models. A friend of mine use to model there and after the sessions, some of the artists would give him their work; he has a collection of these nude drawings and mist are quite good.

On one visit there their exhibit contained a picture of a friend! Often good eye candy to view as well.

Let me throw in another small yet important venue to visit... The Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino. . Home to Blue Boy and Pinkie...

And “Sarah Siddons, the Tragic Muse” for all you “All About Eve Fans.”

It's strange, but I can hike for miles, and stay on the cross-trainer for 45 minutes without stopping, but I find it very difficulty to stand for more than 20 minutes at a time at museums. Are any of you like that? Also, I'm always surprised at how handsome museum-goers seem to be. I find museums to be great places to stare at gorgeous men. They're often too engrossed by the work of art to notice that I'm staring. Do you guys love staring at men as much as the works of art?

I like museums in small doses, e.g. going to look at a particular collection or exhibit- in and out in an hour or less. Honestly, I've never taken much notice of the men. I will make it a point to.

I love going to art museums, however I've never seen any hot guys--it seems on the days I go, there are only grey-haired old ladies in Birkenstocks who ALWAYS block the paintings I want to view. There's one exception: At the Palace of the Legion of Honor (a San Francisco jewel-box) there was a hunky African-American security guard who looked bored out of his mind amid the Monets.

The Prado in Madrid is probably my favorite--far better than the Louvre. It houses the fascinating, surreal Bosch work, 'The Garden of Earthly Delights' and a number of El Grecos.

The National Gallery in London has a vast display of European paintings, including my favorite: 'The Ambassadors' by Holbein (famous for its optical illusion of a human skull).

The Huntington near Pasadena is probably my favorite on this side of the Atlantic. The collection is varied and impressive and the gardens are stunning. The cafe is also outstanding. It's the type of museum that you could spend the entire day at.