Cutting The Cord - Cable TV That Is

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would be interested in hearing from the august members of this forum how they have have cut the Cable TV cord.

My provider (Comcast) won't allow customers to take advantage of newer cheaper rates if they "downgrade". So basically they make it next to impossible to save money by reducing services.

I'm tempted to cut out all TV and just go with high speed Internet.

How do you access "broadcast" TV via Internet? I don't feel like climbing on the roof to install antenna.

Happy New Year! Let's make 2016 the year of cord cutting!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've checked into getting rid of cable also but haven't. . I think if you check out HD antennas or digital antennas, that would be a good start. When you do, you have to check..... and they show you how.... your distance from the broadcast signals and what broadcast channels you'll receive. It's very spotty in some areas.

I've checked into getting rid of cable also but haven't. . I think if you check out HD antennas or digital antennas, that would be a good start. When you do, you have to check..... and they show you how.... your distance from the broadcast signals and what broadcast channels you'll receive. It's very spotty in some areas.

I'm not a cord cutter as I never had the cord in the first place. I have a wonderful Samsung smart tv and a digital antenna. Though I literally never watch broadcast tv, it seemed smart to have one for the whopping $20 it costs. Someone once explained to me that you actually get a better picture via a digital antenna than by cable, because there's so much data being pushed through that one little cable versus the more moderate data being pushed via the larger path of the airwaves. When I flip though channels to test that theory, it seems plausible.

Your smart tv has the apps that you use to watch streamed content (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Acorn, HBO GO (most wonderfully), etc.), and Samsung seems to have the best selection of these apps. You could also go the Apple tv or Roku route, which is simply a box that acts as the brains and talks to a regular dumb tv.

Kevin Slater

I am trying to figure out how to do this too; my one problem in moving forward with a digital antenna is how will I watch MSNBC this election year? It's my understanding that I can only find it on cable.

I completely understand. I might be able to access CNN without cable, but probably not the cable channel I watch the most like MSNBC or the Tennis Channel.

I eliminated cable TV (Cox) about a year ago and bought a HD digital antenna (flat flexible piece of plastic) to receive the basic networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Fox).....I do miss the cable networks at times, but don't miss the cable company charge to receive them....you'll probably have to play around with the antenna within your house to find a place where it'll pick up all the channels

there is pretty much no network television I watch, though....occasionally the local or network news or "60 Minutes" or similar....my TV is mostly a vehicle for watching Netflix stuff....since Netflix has a rep for fewer streamed offerings, I still do the DVDs-by-mail thing with them

I've been trying to figure this out also. I have Charter as my cable and internet provider. I figured out I can watch MSNBC through the internet but you need to keep the internet provider you have. My son in California has ATT U-Vers and pays way way less than I do. Internet alone from Charter is $50 per month, basic cable is another $95.

I understand the reasoning, but my cable/TV is also wrapped with my (high speed) Internet connection and the whole package is only about 100 bucks a month. I love CNN and MSNBC, so I am unwilling to give any of that up. ATT U vers will be in my area early this year, so I might switch over, but for now, my cable bill seems reasonable and certainly doable.

And would having an exterior antenna in the lightning capital of the world be prudent? (I don't have attic access)..Just thinkin out loud here....

Edited by bigvalboy

I would be interested in hearing from the august members of this forum how they have have cut the Cable TV cord.

My provider (Comcast) won't allow customers to take advantage of newer cheaper rates if they "downgrade". So basically they make it next to impossible to save money by reducing services.

How do you access "broadcast" TV via Internet? I don't feel like climbing on the roof to install antenna.

I have Comcast. I couldn’t find an option to downgrade service from their website. I went to one of their stores and was able to do it there.

I'd love to cut the cord. I watch a few shows faithfully on networks and channels like AMC, and I have all of the movie channels. I just saw an article that said that cable and dish prices are expected to increase $10-$15 this year. As more of the movie channels become available independently and through Amazon Prime, it gives me more of an incentive to dump cable.

Last year I cancelled cable and switched entirely to Apple TV. Absolutely love it. You can get Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services in addition to the shows available for purchase from iTunes. Regarding CNN, MSNBC, et al - you might be able to watch them using their websites. I'm an NPR guy, so the lack of the cable "news" stations doesn't bother me in the least.

I haven't had cable TV in many years. In fact, I don't even have any of the streaming services currently. I've had HULU and Netflix previously. But I watched them so little I decided the $8-$20/month wasn't worth it for me. You might check out SLING TV which you can stream for $20 a month. They don't seem to have MSNBC but they do have CNN.

I attach a regular Dell Windows 10 desktop to my TV and control it with a wireless keyboard. I find there's plenty of programming I can stream for free to fill the few hours I watch TV each week. I buy whole series from Amazon sometimes to binge watch (Doctor Who for instance).

I tried an old fashioned pair of rabbit ears to see if I could pull in over-the-air programming. The results weren't good. I can only get one of the network affiliates (NBC) and it comes and goes unless I constantly fiddle with the antenna. I find that most of the stations that come in loud and clear through the antenna don't have English language programming. It would be a great option (in LA) for a Spanish or Chinese speaker.

BTW Can anyone recommend a good digital antenna?

Edited by Zman

I find it all so confusing that I just give up trying to improve my viewing choices or save money. This one doesn't provide HBO, that one has lousy internet, the next one makes me pay for dozens of channels in languages I don't know........and they all assume a technical skill and/or interest I just don't possess... I feel like hiring a 12 year old to take care of it all!.

I'd definitely recommend getting rid of cable. They just give you hundreds of channels so it looks like you're getting a lot for your money when in reality you only watch a few of the channels. Just grab a box so you can stream on your TV (my favorite and recommendation is the new Apple TV but if you hate Apple or want something cheaper you can get the Amazon Fire TV or Roku). There's no reason to pay $100/month (or even more) for cable when there are so many other options. Netflix is good for $8 per month. If you have Amazon Prime already they have Prime Instant Video which has some good content (note: Prime isn't worth getting for the videos, but it's a nice feature if you already have it for the free shipping). Forget Hulu, you have to pay for it and there are still ads. Another option if you love live tv is Sling. It's $20/month for the basic package, and you can add different ones for more money (like a sports package, kids package, HBO, etc.) and that will give you live tv. Sling is good for someone who just wants to sit down and turn on a channel rather than watching a specific show on Netflix. Just note that with Sling, since it's basically live tv there will be commercials (and you can't skip them). Just watch out for them to jack up your internet price when you cancel cable. Comcast will try to do that because they're evil. I usually just get a promotional rate from them (like $30/month) for a year, then when the year is up and they try to jack up the price I call and get them to give me the promo rate again. With Comcast especially, but also other service providers, make sure to check your bill every month because they are notorious for increasing prices for no reason.

At my Utah home we cut the cable and use a Roku box to access Netflix, Hulu, et al. At my Portland home I didn't bother mounting an antenna on the roof. I just use a HD antenna that sits next to the TV (no external mounting needed). I get all the local broadcast channels for free.

In my San Diego apartment cable is included with the monthly rent. Of all the setups, I prefer my San Diego cable (especially since I don't to deal with the cable company or have a personal account with them).

When I retire to Portland, however, I'll probably go the Roku route.

I can definitely recommend Roku.

I've been on a really strange work schedule for the last couple of years so I'm in bed by the time prime time rolls around. The combination of Hulu and Netflix on one box pretty much obviates the need for a DVR. (And the same would apply to Apple TV or Amazon Fire stick.)

I've been without the cable box for about three years now. I just have roku, and no antenna so no broadcast capabilities. It took some getting used to, and it's definitely changed the way I watch TV since nothing is live, but I can't say I mind it. Like rvwnsd I'm an NPR guy so that satisfies my appetite for news, and if something is particularly newsworthy I can find clips online easily enough.

Of the streaming I mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime and HBO. I have Hulu as well but will probably let that go since I don't find myself watching much on it. Also with Hulu not only does it have commercials but the commercials are inserted at really odd places in the program that make no sense.

At my place in SF we get service from an ISP called Monkeybrains, which has been great. No Comcast nonsense, though it required mounting a receiver on the roof. The strength and consistency of the signal is way better than when we had Comcast.

I download everything -- either by torrent or private file sharing sites -- I get things quicker, without commercials, in better quality. The only thing I don't get by having gotten rid of cable/satellite is news and sports but that's changing to so I don't miss it. Plus I can piggy back off my neighbors in the country and their satellite. In NYC, in my building, you have have no choice but to have it because it's built into your assessment.

I'm happy to be rid of the cable cord and I save a ton of money.

Of the streaming I mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime and HBO. I have Hulu as well but will probably let that go since I don't find myself watching much on it. Also with Hulu not only does it have commercials but the commercials are inserted at really odd places in the program that make no sense.

If you hate commercials that much you'll probably enjoy Hulu's new premium subscription which is commercial free. I haven't ponied up for it so I can't vouch for it. I use the commercial breaks for trips to the fridge or the bathroom. :cool:

How soon after a show has aired on network TV or AMC does it show up on Hulu? I know on Netflix and Amazon Prime, it's well after the full season has ended.

AMC does not participate with Hulu.

There's a substantial delay between the season finale and availability on Netflix.

Kevin Slater

How soon after a show has aired on network TV or AMC does it show up on Hulu? I know on Netflix and Amazon Prime, it's well after the full season has ended.

As Kevin says, AMC isn't in the Hulu mix. But the broadcast networks are next day. If you like "How to Get Away with Murder" you can keep up as the season goes along.