US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino.

marylander1940
This topic is 2941 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton was convicted of homicide by first strangling Jennifer Laude and then dunking her head into a toilet bowl in the hotel they had checked into after meeting in a disco bar in Olongapo city, northwest of Manila. He was sentenced to 6-12 years in jail, with time already spent in detention credited, said court clerk Gerry Gruspe.

Pemberton testified in August that he had choked Laude during a fight that erupted when he discovered she was a transgender woman, but said she was still alive when he left her in a shower, according to his lawyer, Rowena Garcia Flores

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marine-found-guilty-killing-transgender-filipino-080856343.html

Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton was convicted of homicide by first strangling Jennifer Laude and then dunking her head into a toilet bowl in the hotel they had checked into after meeting in a disco bar in Olongapo city, northwest of Manila. He was sentenced to 6-12 years in jail, with time already spent in detention credited, said court clerk Gerry Gruspe.

Pemberton testified in August that he had choked Laude during a fight that erupted when he discovered she was a transgender woman, but said she was still alive when he left her in a shower, according to his lawyer, Rowena Garcia Flores

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marine-found-guilty-killing-transgender-filipino-080856343.html

Thank God he was tried in a Philippine court. I doubt a white man strangling a trans woman of color he was about to have sex with would be convicted of murder here. Maybe manslaughter. The theory being he was entitled to punish her for not being what he wanted.

The answer is walk away, dude. You would be violent no matter when you were told.

How about US Marine found guilty of killing another human being? Or must everyone be put into a box classified by their sexuality, race, or gender?

When I read stories like this I just think of the gender, sexual orientation etc as descriptions. Murder or hurting anyone who posed no threat is just plain wrong.

Hugs,

Greg

How about US Marine found guilty of killing another human being? Or must everyone be put into a box classified by their sexuality, race, or gender?

They should when the fact of sexuality, race or gender is central to the story.

You know, sort of like identifying the murderer as "US Marine." Otherwise you'd have a headline that says "Human being found guilty of killing another human being." And that is not news.

They should when the fact of sexuality, race or gender is central to the story.

You know, sort of like identifying the murderer as "US Marine." Otherwise you'd have a headline that says "Human being found guilty of killing another human being." And that is not news.

Human kills human doesn't sale advert space or move papers.

Hugs,

Greg

No doubt but the reason (if there could be any other reason to kill a person other than self defense or defending your country) was the fact he thought she was a girl and after he discovered she was a transgender instead of walking away he killed her to protect his honor/manhood... I know homophobia!

Hugs,

Greg

Btw I've been accused of writing sensationalistic tittles, or as I call them, catchy tittles, but in this case like in 99% of cases, I just wanted the main part of the story to be visible in order to avoid duplicate postings and to make us talk about this. One more thing this a perfect case of a hate crime and we've had a few killings like this in the DC area recently.

Do transgender people need to carry a sign on their sleeve in case they look too convincing? Do they have to warn a potential hook up, btw I used to be a dude, or I have nice tits but I still have a dick down there?

http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/55882521ca2dc24e4d26ef6a/master/w_900,c_limit/caitlyn-jenner-july-2015-vf-06.jpg

Specially in countries where this treatment start so early that many times transgender men are more beautiful than natural born women?

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20121115/001372a9ae05120ef08315.jpg

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20121115/001372a9ae05120ee9b453.jpg

Thank God he was tried in a Philippine court. I doubt a white man strangling a trans woman of color he was about to have sex with would be convicted of murder here. Maybe manslaughter. The theory being he was entitled to punish her for not being what he wanted.

The answer is walk away, dude. You would be violent no matter when you were told.

I know... can you imagine a court packed with rednecks in Appalachia or the South declaring him guilty? I can't! Besides the fact he was visiting a inferior country full of untermensch made him believe he had the right to do it without consequences.

The verdict in most of our country would have been "insanity because he was a dude", and totally justified by the Bible.

When I read stories like this I just think of the gender, sexual orientation etc as descriptions. Murder or hurting anyone who posed no threat is just pla

In cases like this people are labelled or not labelled for political reasons as well as descriptive ones. Arguably the descirptive labels are not necessary.

Labels are significant in news reporting. In a shooting labels are used to confirm or deny conventional wisdom (often racist) about the sorts of people who do such things. If the shooter is African American or Muslim that label is used to amplify the political view that shooting is what these sorts of people do. If the shooter is white, the label is often omitted due to an equally political calculation that race is not relevant to the story. In both cases the decision is made to (consciously or unconsciously) confirm people's prejudice. Citing the sexuality or gender status of a crime victim if there is any hint of homophobia or transphobia is important in highlighting that prejudice. If a bank robber happened to be gay, that would not be relevant, and in my view to use their sexuality in the reporting would be a political act intended to denigrate gay people by linking them to the robber.

Hugs,

Greg

And that's exactly the point. It's why we get "white cop kills black kid" but never "black kid kills black kid" which, of course, happens far more often.

I've always thought we ain't ever going to stop any of this as long as we keep putting people in boxes. Gay men, of all people, should realize this. Just like we need to stop saying "gay marriage" and just say "marriage."

• 4 months later...
And that's exactly the point. It's why we get "white cop kills black kid" but never "black kid kills black kid" which, of course, happens far more often.

I've always thought we ain't ever going to stop any of this as long as we keep putting people in boxes. Gay men, of all people, should realize this. Just like we need to stop saying "gay marriage" and just say "marriage."

Cops shouldn't be killing people unless they truly "fear for their lives" or the lives of others. Cops are supposed to protect people.

"black kid kills black kid" which, of course, happens far more often... of course and so does "white kids from the suburbs or trailer park, kills other white kids"

90% of blacks are killed by blacks and 90% of whites are killed by whites.

Wow. Only 6 to 12 years for murder. I guess murder isn't considered a serious crime in the Philippines.

maybe her life wasn't considered important enough, it's a miracle an American Marine is going to jail for this, usually they get away with rape all the time, even in the states.

Archived