White Americans long for the 1950s, when they didn’t face so much discrimination

Kenny

Revealing poll, which explains a lot:

"Half of white Americans — including 60 percent of the white working class — told researchers that discrimination against whites has become as big a problem today as discrimination against blacks and other minorities... White Americans feel put-upon and mistreated ....

But [there] is very little in the way of objective evidence of this discrimination and the disadvantage that typically follows. On just about every measure of social or economic well-being, white Americans fare better than any other group. That's true of housing and neighborhood quality and home ownership. That's true of overall health, health insurance coverage rates, quality of health care received, life expectancy and infant mortality. That's true when it comes to median household earnings, wealth (assets minus debt), retirement savings and even who has a bank account."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a39987/america-race-powderkeg/

I don't see that having one's privilege challenged amounts to discrimination, ffs!

They don't see themselves as privileged. They see life as a zero sum game they are entitled to win, hence the sense of frustration and loss. It's white supremacy.

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Not to split hairs, but isn't white privilege also white supremacy -- just without the self-awareness?

White privilege supports white supremacy. My hesitation in making the equation you do is that the privileged don't see their privilege and don't realize they're racially biased because they're not motivated by racism, at least consciously. And I've seen black thinkers assert that the problem isn't primarily individual racism -- they agree that many who benefit from white privilege are not consciously racist -- but institutional racism. So equating the two in the way you suggest may come across as saying they're all racists, which is a surefire way to alienate white folks who don't realize they're benefiting from breaks blacks don't get.

Looking at this article, it looks as though Ta Nehisi Coates - author of Between the World and Me - would agree with you.

White privilege supports white supremacy. My hesitation in making the equation you do is that the privileged don't see their privilege and don't realize they're racially biased because they're not motivated by racism, at least consciously. And I've seen black thinkers assert that the problem isn't primarily individual racism -- they agree that many who benefit from white privilege are not consciously racist -- but institutional racism. So equating the two in the way you suggest may come across as saying they're all racists, which is a surefire way to alienate white folks who don't realize they're benefiting from breaks blacks don't get

So much for reading a lot of books. My mom's three older brothers were machinists. A job that paid a just ok salary, but did not have pension benefits unless you worked for the government. So my uncles and their respective wives lived on just social security upon retirement. They had to watch every penny and always had to cut out coupons. I never heard any of my uncles utter a racial comments ever.

QTR: I do understand they were doing better than many black families, so I take your point. And they realized it too. Still their votes likely moved from Roosevelt to Johnson to Reagan.

White privilege supports white supremacy. My hesitation in making the equation you do is that the privileged don't see their privilege and don't realize they're racially biased because they're not motivated by racism, at least consciously. And I've seen black thinkers assert that the problem isn't primarily individual racism -- they agree that many who benefit from white privilege are not consciously racist -- but institutional racism. So equating the two in the way you suggest may come across as saying

they're all racists, which is a surefire way to alienate white folks who don't realize they're benefiting from breaks blacks don't get.

Looking at this article, it looks as though Ta Nehisi Coates - author of Between the World and Me - would agree with you.

And I agree with Ta-Nehisi...almost always.

Sometimes hard work...higher education and some good luck will always elude the angry white man or woman...Seeing a minority get what they have is galling...Seeing their lives slip away to a minority is more than they can stand...They believe they are lied to..cheated out of...and tricked by a government that just gives and gives to minorities while passing them by...

I live in a resort area outside of a large southern city and hear this all the time...The racial hate is part of everyday life...Car bumper stickers..flags...and just plain rudeness is a way to make them feel better about what is perceived to be happening...

Very troubling to see...

Not to split hairs, but isn't white privilege also white supremacy -- just without the self-awareness?

White privilege supports white supremacy. My hesitation in making the equation you do is that the privileged don't see their privilege and don't realize they're racially biased because they're not motivated by racism, at least consciously. And I've seen black thinkers assert that the problem isn't primarily individual racism -- they agree that many who benefit from white privilege are not consciously racist -- but institutional racism. So equating the two in the way you suggest may come across as saying they're all racists, which is a surefire way to alienate white folks who don't realize they're benefiting from breaks blacks don't get.

I don't think white privilege is the same as white supremacy. To me, privilege—white, Christian, male, hetero, cis—is just a statement of the way things are, with no presumption that it is the way things should be. People can benefit from their privilege without being aware of it, and do so without flaunting it. It becomes a problem when it morphs into a sense of entitlement to what privilege delivers, and white supremacy is another, I think bigger step.

As a older white, apparently hetero male I can walk down the street anywhere here without drawing attention. I don't have to be aware of privilege to realise the characteristics I present enable me to do so. I don't think being aware of privilege in such situations is a problem; if I project 'I'm allowed to be here becasue of what am', that is a problem. A white man open carrying a long barrel weapon in a US mixed neighbourhood is at the flaunting or even white supremacist end of the spectrum.

What is disturbing about this poll is that white privilege is so ingrained that people see things that challenge it as being discrimination against them.

So much for reading a lot of books. My mom's three older brothers were machinists. A job that paid a just ok salary, but did not have pension benefits unless you worked for the government. So my uncles and their respective wives lived on just social security upon retirement. They had to watch every penny and always had to cut out coupons. I never heard any of my uncles utter a racial comments ever.

QTR: I do understand they were doing better than many black families, so I take your point. And they realized it too. Still their votes likely moved from Roosevelt to Johnson to Reagan.

Not all white people buy into it. Some realize that they get treated better by the police and store owners (for example) than even similarly situated black people.

I think WilliamM's statement explains why I had qualms about equating the two this way. For some, white privilege is something they benefit from but do not personally wield. It's a societal present that they didn't ask for and might actually resent if, for example, they were in a situation where they were treated better than a non-white person.

So to say one is merely a conscious version of the other is an overstatement and perhaps even an equation of apples with oranges. I cited Coates because he's written on and is more familiar with the thinking behind these terms and I'm not. But in this case he may have been speaking off the cuff.

There are other phenomena subsumed under the term white privilege; for example, whites (or to be more precise, white cishet men), whiteness, and white culture as the default. That's a form of white supremacy even though it may not be (and often isn't) consciously racist. It can be discomfort with anything different ("why do those black teenagers insist on hanging out on street corners and blasting that godawful music?")

I don't think white privilege is the same as white supremacy. To me, privilege—white, Christian, male, hetero, cis—is just a statement of the way things are, with no presumption that it is the way things should be. People can benefit from their privilege without being aware of it, and do so without flaunting it. It becomes a problem when it morphs into a sense of entitlement to what privilege delivers, and white supremacy is another, I think bigger step.

As a older white, apparently hetero male I can walk down the street anywhere here without drawing attention. I don't have to be aware of privilege to realise the characteristics I present enable me to do so. I don't think being aware of privilege in such situations is a problem; if I project 'I'm allowed to be here becasue of what am', that is a problem. A white man open carrying a long barrel weapon in a US mixed neighbourhood is at the flaunting or even white

supremacist end of the spectrum.

What is disturbing about this poll is that white privilege is so ingrained that people see things that challenge it as being discrimination against them.

That's where the lack of self-awareness comes in. White privilege means not having to think about how

being white will affect something you are about to do -- get a job, a mortgage, an education, a taxi on the street, walk through the neighborhood, go shopping, etc., etc., things large and small, all day every day. White conservatives are upset that now they, too, are beginning to have to think about it -- if only in the most rudimentary ways, like not being able to say certain words in public. (That's what the horsesh*t complaints about "political correctness" so often boil down to.) Frankly, it's about time.

Not all white people buy into it. Some realize that they get treated better by the police and store owners (for example) than even similarly situated black people.

I think WilliamM's statement explains why I had qualms about equating the two this way. For

some, white privilege is something they benefit from but do not personally wield. It's a societal present that they didn't ask for and might actually resent if, for example, they were in a situation where they were treated better than a non-white person.

So to say one is merely a conscious version of the other is an overstatement and perhaps even

an equation of apples with oranges. I cited Coates because he's written on and is more familiar with the thinking behind these terms and I'm not. But in this case he may have been speaking off the cuff.

There are other phenomena subsumed under the term white privilege; for example, whites (or to be more precise, white cishet men), whiteness, and white culture as the default. That's a

form of white supremacy even though it may not be (and often isn't) consciously racist. It can be discomfort with anything different ("why do those black teenagers insist on hanging out on street corners and blasting that godawful music?")

When was the last time you went into a store and got the sense that the clerk was "keeping an eye on" you? It has never, ever happened to me. It happens to black shoppers constantly. I'm white, and that's white privilege in action.

Incidentally, I don't believe white privilege and white supremacy -- white power -- are the same thing. But white supremacy, a foundation on which the US was built, created the conditions in which white privilege flourishes to this day.

Sometimes hard work...higher education and some good luck will always elude the angry white man or woman...Seeing a minority get what they have is galling...Seeing their lives slip away to a minority is more than they can stand...They believe they are lied to..cheated out of...and tricked by a government that just gives and gives to minorities while passing them by...

I live in a resort area outside of a large southern city and hear this all the time...The racial

hate is part of everyday life...Car bumper stickers..flags...and just plain rudeness is a way to make them feel better about what is perceived to be happening...

Very troubling to see...

White resentment is so ugly. And the GOP has played those resentments like a fiddle since at least Nixon. Poor buggers don't even know they're being played.

White resentment is so ugly. And the GOP has played those resentments like a fiddle since at least Nixon. Poor buggers don't even know they're being played.

Exactly..fooling fools is easy business...Remember Bush and the impending threats?...The hyper-altruistic Americans piled on like they knew he was 100% right....and then had buyers remorse a few years later....Fool me once...blah blah blah...same deal....same fools....different fooler

Sorry but I am part white and I will not be made to feel guilty because of it. And just because one is white doesn't mean they don't struggles. Oh but wait minority struggles are harder. Whatevs. Don't like the situation your in? Quit complaining and do something about it! Oh but wait it's much easier to blame whitey for all your woes.

Hugs,

Greg

Honey badger don't give a fuck!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

White resentment is so ugly. And the GOP has played those resentments like a fiddle since at least Nixon. Poor buggers don't even know they're being played

I was a senior in college in 1964. It may go back to Barry Goldwater in that election. He voted against the 1964 civil rights act, and won a number of southern states in the '64 election. That was also the campaign in which Ronald Reagan almost overshadowed Goldwater with a TV speech that more or less put his political career into high gear. That may have been the first time some southern states did not vote for the Democratic Party candidate (LBJ).

Hauling out the "blaming whitey is unfair" dodge is a.) an excellent way to maintain the racist status quo, b.) as clear an example as any of not having the slightest clue about institutionalized racism and it's ongoing impacts, and c.) libertarian bullsh*t, the kind of Ayn Rand Paul 'philosophy' of pure independence and belief in individual agency that, as Gore Vidal nicely put it, is nearly perfect in its immorality. "To justify and extol human greed and egotism is to my mind not only immoral, but evil.”

I agree that there is such a thing as white privilege. As a white male, I acknowledge that I have gotten some breaks due to being white and male. That being said, I think that sometimes people paint with too broad of a brush. Not everything negative that a person of color experiences is due to his race. As a white person, I have, in fact, been followed around a store and scrutinized by security. Some stores simply have aggressive loss prevention staff. If I were black, I might make the mistake of assuming that that happened due to my skin color. Again, I'm not denying that racial profiling exists -- it's just that it doesn't explain every occurrence of every black person who gets scrutinized by security/law enforcement personnel.

What's sad is that instead of working class and poor whites recognizing that it's actually the wealthy, ruling class who systematically discriminates against them and persons of color of the same socio-economic status, they have been hoodwinked into focusing on race instead of economic disparity. It's the same situation with the deterioration of the power of unions in this country. It used to be that the working class saw the value in unions; now many believe that the problem is that union members are taking too large a piece of the pie when, in fact, it's that the most wealthy in the country are taking an ever larger piece of the pie while others' wages stagnate or decline.

The class division is extremely important (the wealthy have been waging class warfare for 50 years), but the racial dimension is very revealing.

The median wealth of white households is 13 times the median wealth of black households and 10 times the median wealth of Latino households. Institutional racism is the primary reason.

The class division is extremely important (the wealthy have been waging class warfare for 50 years), but the racial dimension is very revealing.

The median wealth of white households is 13 times the median wealth of black households and 10 times the median wealth of Latino households. Institutional racism is the primary reason.

Wrong as usual. Your statistics are false:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/09/17/asian-households-have-highest-income-blacks-the-lowest/

The highest median income belongs to Asians, not whites which you leave out of your post. Yes, there are differences but not to the extent you post.

Can we assume that those Asians at the very top foster institutional racism and that is the reason for the inequality? As Shakespeare put it: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves...." Maybe there are things found within the black community that ADD to the institutional racism reasons that blacks are on the bottom of the median income pile? Yes, there is institutional racism but the Asians faced that, too, and now they are on the top of the heap. How did the Asians overcome institutional racism? Why are Hispanics pulling out ahead of blacks on the median income charts and over coming institutional racism?

Not too long ago, the black family was not as dysfunctional as it is today. Read the Moynihan report and the numbers from the 1960's show stronger black families and fewer out-of-wedlock births; what changed in recent decades to send the black family into such dysfunction that we see today? Certainly, there was worse racism back in those days. The two key elements to succeed financially seem to be education and strong family. Until the black community returns to the strong family of the past, may I suggest blacks will continue to be on the bottom of the income median income heap.

Yes, shift the blame to others, but maybe a look inward can identify SOME causes that make a bad situation worse.

I do not deny that there is institutional racism; all minority groups have faced that and overcome it: not just Asians and Hispanics currently but Jews, Irish and many others have been successful in overcoming the racism they faced.

Great that you have kept up your reputation for false facts in your postings!! Four Pinocchios to your post!!