Bathhouse Betty!

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I actually saw Bette perform at the Continental Baths in 1971. Whenever one got tired of wandering down the halls, or had sated one's lust for the moment, one could go listen to her, until one became restless again--and one didn't have to get dressed for the performance!

Nothing says classy like some Ms. Midler

Hugs,

Greg

Several years ago I was on a blind date and he started peppering me with questions like "boxers or briefs" "pajamas or naked" and then he asked "Madonna or Cher." I answered "Bette." He was puzzled.

Several years ago I was on a blind date and he started peppering me with questions like "boxers or briefs" "pajamas or naked" and then he asked "Madonna or Cher." I answered "Bette." He was puzzled.

Was there ever a second date? I'm guessing "no."

If I'd had the aplomb to think of it, I'd have responded the same way.

Was there ever a second date? I'm guessing "no."

You guessed correctly.

If I'd had the aplomb to think of it, I'd have responded the same way.

It's the sort of reply I'd wake up at 3am and think that is what I should have said.

Both of my parents were quick with snappy answers to dumb questions, so my brother and I come by it honestly. He married a woman who is the same way, so you can imagine what family gatherings are like.

Maybe that's why I prefer Bette to the others. ;)

People forget these days, but her first album was titled "Bathhouse Bette"..

Umm....not exactly....

It was her 9th Album. It was released in 1998...and it was titled "Bathouse Betty"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathhouse_Betty

Her first album was released in 1972. It was "The Divine Miss M".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Divine_Miss_M

While Charlie was spending time at the Continental :rolleyes: I was just coming out but not by all that much. My first boyfriend was a drunk, and by association, I became a huge Jane Olivor fan.

I'll never regret that part. The Jane Olivor Part.

Sadly, there are few videos available on YouTube of her music in concert

We had many of these.......

• 1 month later...

Bathhouse Bette was released around the same time as Cher's Believe. There were rumors that the record execs from each label wanted to piggyback sales of one with the other to maximize the traffic of gay men in record stores. Remember, this was during the fairly early days of illegal downloading. There was also an ersatz rivalry manufactured between the two artists to rev up publicity. With the huge success of the title track "Believe" Bette's release didn't see the success it should have. As a whole, it is a much better album. Well IMHO anyway.

Archived