Steven Colbert

gp0560
This topic is 3024 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I became quite a fan of Colbert in his "Colbert Report" persona. But I admit after several attempts watching his new late night show, I'm just not as enamored. I know he said that this would be different, and that he wouldn't be "playing that character" on the new show, but I think he was much funnier and engaging that way. I'll tune in periodically, but somehow I feel he's made a bit of a step down, rather than a step up. I do hope the show remains successful. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love the old Colbert back.

For the Shana Alexander Point/Counterpoint: :)

If Colbert is half as smart as those old shows made him seem, I'd be his (insert name of someone subservient that smart people hire here) any day. :)

I think he's more "smart ass" than "smart." As for smart, there's Anderson Cooper.

I think he's more "smart ass" than "smart." As for smart, there's Anderson Cooper.

I've never seen Anderson Cooper (I haven't seen network or cable TV in about a zillion years), so I can't say anything about him.

As for Colbert, I've seen only the odd clip from the "Report", and heard the radio interview he did about performing in "Company". In the latter, he came off smart enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
As for smart, there's Anderson Cooper.

Except when he tries to be funny. Then he turns into a 4-year-old.

You are so right. He doesn't do "funny" very well. And that high pitched laugh. Egads.

And now I see that once again, he's teaming up with one of the unfunniest comics in the world IMO, Kathy Griffin, for New Years' Eve coverage on CNN. (I'm sorry - she just grates on my nerves.) Not that I'll be watching, lol.

Archived