Just one more puppy video...

marylander1940
This topic is 3067 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For two years, I cared for a dog that could not walk. Rusty had been with me since she was abandoned at a school yard as a puppy. At 15, she started to lose strength in one of her back legs and then a few weeks later, in the other back leg. The vet said that she was likely to get worse and advised putting her down due to her advanced age, He estimated she had three months at most. I thought I could handle her for 3 months as long as she was not in pain, which I was assured she was not. She never seemed to be different than her usual except for the walking and she played with the other dogs and stayed by my side as I watched TV. Her condition also made it difficult for her to move her bowels and bladder, which led me to carrying her out and applying pressure to have her toilet. Well three months turned to 6 and then a year. She was not worse and she, me and the three others adapted. Then one day, while I was walking her by supporting her back legs with a towel, a skill she mastered very quickly, she began walking in circles. One of the front legs had weakened. Within a few days the other one weakened as well and within a few weeks, she could no longer walk with the towel assist. However, she did not seem worse for the wear. She ate vigorously. She slept next to me on the bed and sat next to me as I worked. Again the vet, who again suggested euthanasia, said she had a few weeks at best. A year later, a week before my birthday, she passed quietly in her favorite overstuffed chair. In the last few weeks she did lose weight and slow her eating, but she never changed her loving and kind disposition. She never refused to play with the others and ultimately she never felt like anything other than a dog who needed just a bit of help in her old age.

For two years, I cared for a dog that could not walk. Rusty had been with me since she was abandoned at a school yard as a puppy. At 15, she started to lose strength in one of her back legs and then a few weeks later, in the other back leg. The vet said that she was likely to get worse and advised putting her down due to her advanced age, He estimated she had three months at most. I thought I could handle her for 3 months as long as she was not in pain, which I was assured she was not. She never seemed to be different than her usual except for the walking and she played with the other dogs and stayed by my side as I watched TV. Her condition also made it difficult for her to move her bowels and bladder, which led me to carrying her out and applying pressure to have her toilet. Well three months turned to 6 and then a year. She was not worse and she, me and the three others adapted. Then one day, while I was walking her by supporting her back legs with a towel, a skill she mastered very quickly, she began walking in circles. One of the front legs had weakened. Within a few days the other one weakened as well and within a few weeks, she could no longer walk with the towel assist. However, she did not seem worse for the wear. She ate vigorously. She slept next to me on the bed and sat next to me as I worked. Again the vet, who again suggested euthanasia, said she had a few weeks at best. A year later, a week before my birthday, she passed quietly in her favorite overstuffed chair. In the last few weeks she did lose weight and slow her eating, but she never changed her loving and kind disposition. She never refused to play with the others and ultimately she never felt like anything other than a dog who needed just a bit of help in her old age.

PK you are a good guy. Thanks for taking care of Rusty until the end and thanks for sharing. :)

Just from this post if we ever met I would so give you the biggest hug and kiss ever! I read this last night just before bed and you gave me all kinds of warm fuzzies!

Hugs,

Greg

Archived