Favorite Song??

dutchmuch
This topic is 856 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was out with some friends when I bought George Michael's Songs from the Last Century back when it came out and they took great delight razzing me about it at the time. But I enjoyed it very much and particularly liked Miss Sarajevo. A few years later, I sent the song to one of the friends and asked him to judge it on its own merits and he wrote me back saying it was very touching and well done. A few years later he died unexpectedly and now I think of him every time I listen to it. It's the most listened to song in my collection, so I guess that has to count toward making it my favorite, even though it is rather melancholy for me.

I was out with some friends when I bought George Michael's Songs from the Last Century back when it came out and they took great delight razzing me about it at the time. But I enjoyed it very much and particularly liked Miss Sarajevo. A few years later, I sent the song to one of the friends and asked him to judge it on its own merits and he wrote me back saying it was very touching and well done. A few years later he died unexpectedly and now I think of him every time I listen to it. It's the most listened to song in my collection, so I guess that has to count toward making it my favorite, even though it is rather melancholy for me.

I have Songs from the Last Century, but did not play much attention because never thought I would spend so much time in Bosnia, and not just Sarajevo.

I Can NOT seem to stop listening to the new The Black Angeles:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/death-song/id1200060618

I don't like most music, and recently I stepped into a coffee shop blasting the usual pop crap. I winced, the counter guy perceived why, and asked me what I'm listening to these days. I told him the new The Black Angeles (he didn't know them, young ppl don't know good current bands anymore--not that long ago that knowledge was a badge). I sat down, and three minutes later, via streaming, Currency (see below) played. I could see him jamming out to it, and all the following fantastic songs. I taught him new music!

And this is probably my favorite song on the album. They are very much inspired, and take their title from a song by, The Velvet Underground.

One thing I love about this song is that by 4:10 it's already given us a great gift but it then proffers this 1-minute section that just carries you along in a golden carriage.

And since I can't stop talking about their music, how about that video? Follow the bloody money, it tells a story about each character. And I love LOVE the fountain at 4:45; you're asking "What the hell is that???"

Edited by Rod Hagen

"Anniversary Song," "Miles From Our Home," and a cover of "Sweet Jane" by Cowboy Junkies

"Rock Lobster" and "Roam" by the B52s

"Perform This Way" and "Word Crimes" by Weird Al Yankovic

and, alas, "The Ladies Who Lunch" and "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" by Sondheim

There are more, but it is early here.

All good to great stuff. There was an excellent Sondheim review at the Hollywood Bowl a couple weeks ago. Beautiful.

For @Rod Hagen, something off the beaten path: Luna, main vocalist of f(x), performing with Jambinai, which mixes post-rock and rock instruments (drums, electric guitar and electric bass) with traditional Korean instruments. The title of the song is "From the Place to be Erased."

Something a little more mainstream that contains some strange musical juxtapositions (metal and beautiful falsetto) and awesome lyrics: "Dystopia" by B.A.P

I didn’t believe it in this reality

I hoped that wasn’t true

Oh yeah

(The world is completely dark

I feel suffocated)

Countless lies

Built on top of one lie

Ah yeah

(It’s not even funny now

I won’t be deceived any more)

In front of the faded line

Stop right there

Look at the stained illusion

Everything has broken down

There’s no utopia, that’s just an escape

Now wake up, wake up, wake up

Step on the world and get up

The world has flipped inside out

(I can’t, I can’t Stop)

Dystopia

(C’mon, It’s going down)

Change everything

What’s real has darkness

(I can’t, I can’t Stop)

Dystopia

I’m awakening myself from being trapped

Taking off my mask, do it better

Shouting and walking on my path

Don’t interfere and just shut up

Each person’s utopia is different

A place I love might be hell for someone else

Let’s go to the end boy

The faded black and white, new world

You can’t always deny it

It’s time to wake up from your dream

Oh yeah

(Even chasing after your dream

Became a waste of time)

There’s no time to hesitate

Look at the bare face of the world

Ah yeah

(The truth isn’t the truth

Everything you knew was a lie)

In the place where reality fell

The only remaining idea

Is a place of gamble with the name of justice

All value has disappeared

The song was released early this March and was probably written late in 2016 at the height of the crisis that led to the removal of South Korean President Park Geun-hye. It's possible that the lyricists, particularly Bang Yongguk, leader of B.A.P., were also thinking of the political situation in the US at the time.

• 5 months later...

Not a favorite song but favorite rock vocal: Ha Hyun Woo, lead singer of Gucckasten, appearing on the King of Masked Singer. He holds the all-time record of wins on that show. His range and technique are both impressive! I'm using a reaction video because the video the network uploaded to YouTube ends 2/3 of the way through.

Ha Hyun Woo will be in the spotlight in a few weeks as he's one of the announced participants in the opening ceremony at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Since @WmClarke brought up the late Kirsty MacColl I thought I should mention "Angel." This song always stops me in my tracks.

"Can't Stop Killing You" by Kirsty MacColl. It's been stuck in my head for 20 years.

The second solo album by ABBA's Frida:

Side 1

1. "Shine" (Kevin Jarvis, Guy Fletcher, Jeremy Bird) – 4:39
  2. "One Little Lie" (Simon Climie, Kirsty MacColl) – 3:44
  3. "The Face" (Daniel Balavoine, Kirsty MacColl) – 3:40
  4. "Twist In The Dark" (Andee Leek) – 3:43
  5. "Slowly" (Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson) – 4:34

Side 2

1. "Heart Of The Country" (Stuart Adamson)– 4:38
  2. "Come To Me (I Am Woman)" (Eddie Howell, David Dundas) – 5:04
  3. "Chemistry Tonight" (Pete Glenister, Simon Climie, Kirsty MacColl) – 4:56
  4. "Don't Do It" (Anni-Frid Lyngstad) – 4:37
  5. "Comfort Me" (Pete Glenister) – 4:28

2005 remaster bonus tracks

1. "That's Tough" (Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Hans Fredriksson, Kirsty MacColl) - 5:03
  2. "Shine" (Extended Mix) (Kevin Jarvis, Guy Fletcher, Jeremy Bird) - 6:31

Edited by samhexum