Favorite Song??

dutchmuch
This topic is 849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...

Can't sleep...So I'm listening to Tori Kelly (yes, I'm a fan, see post #25). I just love the lyrics to Dear No One. ⬇️

@dutchmuch - it is mind-blowing to hear a country singer cover Nirvana so hauntingly and beautifully. (Post 52). Loved the vid. Wish I could help you with the actor's name.

Edited by Truereview

• 8 months later...

25 oldies (some before your time) that are certainly NOT masterpieces, but you can't erase the melodies from your mind no matter how hard you try.

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - The Tokens (1961)

"Born Free" - Matt Monroe (1965)

"Moon River" - Henry Mancini & Orchestra (1960)

"The Way We Were" - Barbra Streisand (1973)

"Theme from Mahogany" - Diana Ross (1975)

"When You Wish Upon a Star" - Cliff Edwards (1939)

"Moonlight Serenade" - Glenn Miller & Orchestra (1939)

"The Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkel (1969)

"Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - Elton John (1994)

"Night and Day" - Leo Reisman & Orchestra with Fred Astaire (1932)

"Singin' In The Rain" - Cliff Edwards (1929) and Gene Kelly (1951), take your pick

"I Will Always Love You" - Dolly Parton (1973) and Whitney Houston (1992), but likely the later version

"The One I Love" - REM (1987)

"You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" - The Righteous Brothers (1964)

"Cruisin"- Smokey Robinson (1979)

"The Long and Winding Road" - The Beatles (1970)

"Drift Away" - Dobie Gray (1972)

"Sentimental Journey" - Les Brown & Orchestra with Doris Day (1944)

"All or Nothing at All" - Harry James & Orchestra with Frank Sinatra (1939)

"Stranger in Paradise" - Tony Bennett (1953)

"Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (2005)

"Stand By Me" - Ben E. King (1960)

"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" - Ruth Etting (1934), but likely The Platters (1958)

"Memories" - Elvis Presley (1968)

"Here and Now" - Luther Vandross (1989)

Oh... and this ditty from 1933 (with bouncy Ginger Rogers) that was included in every Loony Tune and Merry Melody you grew up watching

Sometimes a very obscure song grabs you and you can't erase it either. Classic example is this "chart-miss" from 1966 by a girl group Reparta & the Delrons, who remind me of Phil Spector's Ronettes with all of that "wall of sound" slushy-ness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSUz0XFLEo

Under no circumstances start humming these two...

"White Christmas" - Bing Crosby (1942)

"It's a Small World After All"... Walt Disney will never be forgiven for plopping this one on the New York World's Fair of 1964

Edited by longtime lurker

• 4 months later...

I tried, but I couldnt arrive at any one response.

My car radio tends to stay on one channel or genre for a month or two. These days, its SiriusXM Classic Vinyl, which is 60-80s classic rock.

I like a wide variety of genres....Soon, it may be classic standards, or Broadway, or Jazz, or New Age, or classical, etc.

Two songs, recently rediscovered, that have me singing along in the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SCBif43PM

There are also specific albums I associate with specific activities. For example, any drive up to Tahoe, or through other scenic nature areas, and I'll be listening to

Edited by LaffingBear

I love Brazilian music. This song composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim (aka Tom), and sung by the composer and the great Elis Regina is called "Aquas de Março". In 2001 it was selected in a survey of Brazilian composers and performers as the greatest Brazilian song. The interplay between the artists in the video is charming it dates from 1974.