Favorite Song??

dutchmuch
This topic is 848 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here are my Top 10 Favorites:

1. Imagination - Helen Reddy

2. Once Upon A Time - Donna Summer

3. Africa - Toto

4. Touch Me When We're Dancing - The Carpenters

5. Whip My Hair - Willow Smith

6. Help Me - Joni Mitchell

7. Impossible Dreamer - Joni Mitchell

8. Human Nature - Michael Jackson

9. Downtown Funk - Bruno Mars

10. Million Bill - Whitney Houston

• 2 months later...
Just discovered the Decembrists out of Portland. Most excellent song, Riverswim:

I'm so happy I know about a cool indie rock band that although this is not my favorite song, I offer it to @dutchmuch and the rest of y'all out there in Forum Land for your delectation. In the meantime, I'll try to think of my favorite song. It will only be an 'a' favorite song rather than 'my' numero uno favorite as there are just too many songs I like.

But now without further delay, here is the Decemberists' "Make You Better." The video features Nick Offerman.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Patti Smith, Horses (also known as "Land")

This song has a gay theme. I remember calling in to young friend's radio show and requesting this song. He and his co-DJ were not familiar with it.. After they played the song my friend defended it. The other DJ did not know what to say about the lyrics (it would not have been PC to knock the lyrics), so he just complained that it was too long. It was a private university radio station. I was surprised at the mixed reaction from two liberal students.

My friend did ask me to phone in again and talk on the show. I regret saying no. Interesting experience though.

Edited by WilliamM

I like all kinds of songs, so I can't pick one favorite. WilliamM, thank you for reminding me about Patti Smith. "Because the Night" is one of the most erotic songs ever.

Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane singing David Crosby's "Triad":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4HlOnA9NgQ

Taeyang singing "Let Go":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQedG8DSO7o

English translation here.

Ok so here are four favorites. I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Dionne's "Anyone Who Had a Heart" is awesome.

T

I heard this one during lunch today. It's not the original version. But it's still pretty darn good. It's from a TV special. You might want to skip ahead to about the 1:00 marker as that's where the song starts. Considering your song pick, I think you'll like this @tyro

# 2. This one was off one of the first albums I bought for my new combined stereo turntable/cassette track player when I was about 19.

#3. This was another new album I got for my stereo. I really love the intro on this song before the words start.

#4. This last song is an incredibly scary one because it's one of the few that really make me want to dance. And believe me- no one wants to see that!!!:confused:

Gman

"Can't Stop Killing You" by Kirsty MacColl. It's been stuck in my head for 20 years.

There are few that really get to me. Since @WmClarke brought up the late Kirsty MacColl I thought I should mention "Angel." This song always stops me in my tracks. There are a lot of remixes but I prefer the way the bass carries me through the album version.

Elton John has turned out a wonderful body of work consistently throughout his life time which pretty much matches mine. I can practically relive my days through listening to him. Add all of the Beatle's , Sinatra's and Ella Fitzgerald's songbooks and I'm in heaven.

All songs from my childhood. Nice choices, Gman.

T

They were from my late teenagehood. Here's another you might like. It's a few years newer than those I listed above.

I've had "Livin' on a Prayer" stuck in my head lately, and I was never a Bon Jovi fan in particular.

My one time at Mardi Gras-some friends and I sang this and Frank Sinatra's "New York! New York!" down Bourbon Street!!:rolleyes:

@Gar1eth You were into albums, while I was into Top 40 pop singles.

~ Boomer ~

Not really, Boomer. There were often only two or three good songs on the album at most, and those were the songs being played on the radio. Without the radio, I wouldn't have known what albums or cassettes to buy.

Did I mention I'm a sucker for harmony. It's why I like the early Beatles. This song while not the Beatles has harmony, and the video has BEEFCAKE!!

And here is some harmony without much beefcake. But it's still a good song.

Gman

@Gar1eth I would buy "Greatest Hits" albums.

~ Boomer ~

Me too!!! You're a Boomer after my own heart. :p

My tastes are eclectic but are dominated by Top 40-although probably not the Top 40 of today's music.

Did I mention I like harmony? (My uncle has been a member of SPEBSQSA for years. I prefer a harmony on 1, 3, and 5th notes. I think they more commonly use 2, 4, and 6. But I like some of their songs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hjjVeU2kik

...and (watch to the end) BEEFCAKE!!

Gman

Guest countryboywny

I have several "favorite" songs, each depending on the mood I'm in..

My most recent fave is "Hello" by Adele.. the song just spoke to me for some reason.

My all-time hit list includes:

"Shower the People" by James Taylor

"You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC

"Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns N' Roses

"Turn Me Loose" by Loverboy

... and most anything from Bon Jovi, Journey, Bette Midler, Diana Ross (with and without the Supremes)