Hotel In West Hollywood

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 1043 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Starbuck

I got a great rate at the Ramada on Santa Monica earlier this year. There are boutique hotels in the area with more "personality," but BVB's assessment of the Ramada is accurate. Just one forewarning ... the elevators require a guest key card so, if you're expecting any gentleman callers, you'll probably need to meet them in the lobby.

The Chamberlain is perfectly located, has a cool mid-century vibe, and for a modest amount, you can get a decent sized suite that's perfect to play in.

I've stayed at both and I have to agree that the Chamberlain http://www.chamberlainwesthollywood.com is a much better choice than the Ramada (just a block and a half up Santa Monica blvd)

http://i40.tinypic.com/20sjdpz.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try to book the Ramada or Chamberlain. (I wish I could afford Shutters in Santa Monica!)

May I ask another question or two?

Is it better to rent a car at the airport and drive to and from the hotel or take the bus/subway to the hotel and just rent a car by the hour as needed?

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try to book the Ramada or Chamberlain. (I wish I could afford Shutters in Santa Monica!)

Is it better to rent a car at the airport and drive to and from the hotel or take the bus/subway to the hotel and just rent a car by the hour as needed?

Ask as many questions as you like.

I would just take super shuttle to and from the hotel, and rent a car as needed. If you rent a car the whole time, you will pay for that parking at the hotel. Buses and subways in LA don't work very well. Taking a bus to the hotel might take over an hour+, with connections, and the subway is very inconvenient to your location. Google map the hotels, whichever hotel you stay at, both are walking distance to prime Santa Monica Blvd locations. The bars and clubs are a few blocks west, but very walkable, and the eye candy is amazing. Good luck

Thanks again.

If the shuttle vans take that long and public transport is not convenient I might just rent the car the whole time even with parking fees. Lots to ponder.

I assume that there are car rental places near the Ramada and/or Chamberlain? Would it make sense to move to a hotel near the airport the last night since flights to the East Coast leave so early?

Thanks again.

If the shuttle vans take that long and public transport is not convenient I might just rent the car the whole time even with parking fees. Lots to ponder.

I assume that there are car rental places near the Ramada and/or Chamberlain? Would it make sense to move to a hotel near the airport the last night since flights to the East Coast leave so early?

Not necessary to change hotels, though you can, if it makes you feel comfortable. You should know that on your return to the airport, Super Shuttle guarantees on time arrival. I lived in LA for 50 years and I have left for the airport at almost every imaginable hour, and I have never been even close to being late. The airport from your location is really a direct route down La Cienega. No freeways required. It really is quite fast, especially during early morning hours.

However, if you don't mind spending the money for parking, which will be about 30 dollars a day, a rental car is far and above your best choice. That would give you a lot more freedom to come and go. If you want to rent just a few times, Enterprise is just down the street from the hotel. Hope it helps, ANY other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

If you rent from Enterprise, they will come and pick you up to go get the car. You can check with them if you have the possibility of Airport return or drop car back at the rental office and they can take you back to your hotel to then go to the airport.

• 1 year later...

Bumping an "oldie" but goodie since the to/fro LAX transportation issue discussed here is a perennial PITA (once you learn LA, you'll understand why I laughed out loud when I read "Is it better to . . . take the bus/subway to the hotel"). Just like "There's no basement at the Alamo," there's no direct, simple subway or public bus route from LAX to WeHo.

I recommend Uber to get around, including getting to the airport. As far as Uber from LAX is concerned: The approval process is taking longer than anticipated when it was announced earlier this year that any Uber would finally be able to pick you up at LAX (and not just vehicles with the additional insurance/TCP license). The terminal area and surrounding vicinity is still a blackout zone on the Uber app. So the workaround is to take a (free) rental car company shuttle to their location, almost all of which are about five to eight minutes away from the airport proper. Then you'll see Uber Xs populate all around you in the app. I just did this returning from my recent NYC trip. Easy, fast and less expensive than the damn taxis.

Edited by BigRic

Bumping an "oldie" but goodie since the to/fro LAX transportation issue discussed here is a perennial PITA (once you learn LA, you'll understand why I laughed out loud when I read "Is it better to . . . take the bus/subway to the hotel"). Just like "There's no basement at the Alamo," there's no direct, simple subway or public bus route from LAX to WeHo.

That's how they keep the riff-raff out :rolleyes:

Only houskeepers tolerate that many transfers to get to work. :(

So the workaround is to take a (free) rental car company shuttle to their location, almost all of which are about five to eight minutes away from the airport proper. Then you'll see Uber Xs populate all around you in the app. I just did this returning from my recent NYC trip. Easy, fast and less expensive than the damn taxis.

That's a great idea. I thought about taking the LAX airport shuttle out to the Metro Train stop to get an Uber. But I figured it would take too long. The rental car bus idea is good. I guess they don't really check if you have a reservation or not.

Of course, if too many people start doing it they will probably crack down.

• 4 weeks later...
That's a great idea. I thought about taking the LAX airport shuttle out to the Metro Train stop to get an Uber. But I figured it would take too long. The rental car bus idea is good. I guess they don't really check if you have a reservation or not.

Of course, if too many people start doing it they will probably crack down.

I do the hotel bus to the Marriott. it's far enough away from lax that you have a bigger pool of drivers and close enough that it doesn't take a long time to get there. a quick buck tip to the driver and it is easy peasy. I try to avoid the rental car lots because they are not all in great neighborhoods and some drivers will ignore.

It's best not to use public transportation in L. A. It's not convenient. Super Shuttle is best to and from any airport. If you don't want to drive around everywhere, try using UBER app. Works great in L. A. area.. fast, convenient and inexpensive. Also, for a unique opportunity, try AIRBNB.

Los Angeles World Airports operates "Flyaway " buses from LAX to Downtown (Union Station), Van Nuys (San Fernando Valley), Hollywood, Long Beach, and Westwood (adjacent to Beverly Hills). This is an express bus service that has stops on the arrivals level in front of each terminal. The fares range from $8 to $10 depending on the destination. You can use Uber or Lyft from those locations to your hotel. If WeHo is your destination either Hollywood or Westwood would work. Here is a link http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/ . I have a friend who travels extensively and says this service has saved him a fortune.

I highly recommend what body2body posted. I use the Flyaway if no one can take/pick me up from the airport, it is clean, affordable, efficient, fast and reliable. They leave Downtown LA (Union Stn) every 10min if I'm not mistaken.

Pick-up from LAX though could take a while, so better check their schedule. Once, I waited for 45min for the right bus to take me from LAX to Downtown, and that was just after flying 18 hours from Southeast Asia. Still though, a great way to get in and out of the airport.

Pick-up from LAX though could take a while, so better check their schedule. Once, I waited for 45min for the right bus to take me from LAX to Downtown, and that was just after flying 18 hours from Southeast Asia. Still though, a great way to get in and out of the airport.

When I was in LA, that was the exact problem I found with the Flyaway buses going to and from the "Valley." Once leaving for Asia, I almost missed a flight, because it left Van Nuys every 30 min. I arrived, just as one pulled away, and had to wait 30 min for the next one. (Yes my fault for cutting the time so close) but it was irritating. And ditto to what m.yi mentioned on my arrival. Wait times were close to 45 min. (Of course that was the same problem with Super Shuttle also). Going out to the Valley, there are fewer vans leaving LAX, and wait times routinely exceeded 45 min. By the time one arrived, then circled the airport two or three times as the van filled with passengers. (Finally gave up using them years ago)

• 5 years later...