A 3rd Question For The Ages-Condiments On A Sandwich-One Side Of The Bread Or Both?

Gar1eth
This topic is 3496 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So when I make a sandwich at home- I put the mayo, mustard, or ketchup on both pieces of the sandwich bread or for hamburgers/hotdogs both on the top bun and bottom bun. But I go out to sandwich shops or restaurants, and almost invariably unless I tell them, they put the 'condiment spread' on only one piece of the bread/bun. In my opinion the only reasons they might do this is cost and speed of preparation because I think most people at home put the condiments on both slices. (I had a discussion about this with a cute 26 year old waiter Saturday night).

How votes the Forum Membership?

Gman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when I make a sandwich at home- I put the mayo, mustard, or ketchup on both pieces of the sandwich bread or for hamburgers/hotdogs both on the top bun and bottom bun. But I go out to sandwich shops or restaurants, and almost invariably unless I tell them, they put the 'condiment spread' on only one piece of the bread/bun. In my opinion the only reasons they might do this is cost and speed of preparation because I think most people at home put the condiments on both slices. (I had a discussion about this with a cute 26 year old waiter Saturday night).

Gman

I vote you do the cute 26-year old waiter!

Gman

Mayo on both sides of the bread. Ketchup on top of a cheeseburger. Mustard on top of a hot dog.

~Boomer~

the center, between the meat and the cheese. I'm usually making a sandwich to bring to work, and it keeps the wetter condiments from soaking into the bread.

I'll consider that if I ever have to transport a sandwich long distances again. But for home use, I think I'll stick with the traditional mayo (Hellman's is my 1st choice--didn't we have a discussion of Hellman's vs Miracle Whip awhile back?) on both the top and bottom slab of my bread.

And isn't the cheese supposed to be next to the bread, to act as a water barrier so the bread doesn't get soggy?

I'm not really fond of cheese except on pizza or a little parmesan grated on my spaghetti.

Gman

I'll consider that if I ever have to transport a sandwich long distances again. But for home use, I think I'll stick with the traditional mayo (Hellman's is my 1st choice--didn't we have a discussion of Hellman's vs Miracle Whip awhile back?) on both the top and bottom slab of my bread.

I'm not really fond of cheese except on pizza or a little parmesan grated on my spaghetti.

Gman

C'mon, this ain't a culinary site! Get a hobby!

Mayo on both slices of bread, AND mustard on one slice, or on the cheese if there is any in the sandwich. Unless the filling is tuna or egg salad, which has mayo in it, in which case I put mustard on both slices of bread. Unless it is a sardine sandwich, or a hoagie, in which case I put olive oil on the bread. Unless it is a fried fish sandwich, in which case I put tartar sauce on the bread. Unless....

Mayo on both slices of bread, AND mustard on one slice, or on the cheese if there is any in the sandwich. Unless the filling is tuna or egg salad, which has mayo in it, in which case I put mustard on both slices of bread. Unless it is a sardine sandwich, or a hoagie, in which case I put olive oil on the bread. Unless it is a fried fish sandwich, in which case I put tartar sauce on the bread. Unless....

Let's don't get too crazy on lettuce and tomato...

I never butter the bread of a sandwich nor do I ever use ketchup. Mayo (always Best Foods/Hellmann's) goes on one piece of bread and mustard on the other. If I'm eating a cheeseburger in a restaurant the mayo and the mustard go on top of the cheese. If I'm eating a cheeseburger at In-n-Out I add nothing.

Unless the filling is tuna or egg salad, which has mayo in it, in which case I put mustard on both slices of bread.

Tuna salad is the only fish I eat. And sometimes when I'm tasting it I wonder why I like it since it does taste so fishy. On the other hand I love a good tuna salad, so I'm glad I learned to eat it when I was younger before my preferences were set. I put in so much mayo (Hellman's (or Best Foods if I'm on the West Coast)) that the tuna salad looks white and then I still put mayo on the bread - love it on toast even more.

My Mom grew up with tuna being made with mustard instead of mayo (my Dad intorduced her to mayo) which actually isn't bad either. I prefer the mayo. But mustard compliments the (sour)pickles and onions in the tuna salad very well and is really delicious when eating the tuna salad on saltine crackers.

I never butter the bread of a sandwich nor do I ever use ketchup.

When I lived in Wisconsin they naturally put butter on submarine sandwiches instead of mayo or mustard. I was appalled I tell you. I love butter, but keep it off my sub sandwich. Of course I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. They even had butter set out on the table at Pizza Hut. I could never quite figure out what I was supposed to use it on. In Wisconsin they even served packets of butter at hospital cafeteria where either because of the supposed at the time health benefits of margarine or the lower cost most hospitals I've had to suffer at when relatives are ill only have Country Crock or the like.

Gman- Are you old enough to remember Hell man's Sandwich Spread? My Grandma made it for me as a snack, on two pieces of doughy white Wonder bread & yes she put the spread on both the top & bottom pieces of bread. Delicious!

I'm not sure if I do remember salad spread. I'm assuming it was like Miracle Whip? My sister used to like Durkees-which I was never fond of. As a child I remember that I could always tell Wonder Bread from other white breads. It had a special taste which I liked better- but my Mom never bought it- maybe it wasn't available where we lived. When I tried Wonder as an adult- it tasted the same to me as most store bought white breads. I don't know whether it was due to my loss of tastebuds as I grew older or whether maybe they had changed the recipe (for example- I'm convinced Pizza Hut pizza was better tasting when I was a child).

My grandmother used to make me Underwoods Deviled Ham sandwiches on white bread with Hellman's. You read need the Hellman's to cut down on the salty taste of the ham. I have trouble eating deviled ham now- but I've recently had an urge to try it for old times' sake.

Gman

For a deli sandwich, I usually put light mayo on both slices of bread (or all 3 slices if I make a club sandwich). If I feel like mustard, I only put it on one slice of bread or else the taste becomes overwhelming. For a burger, ketchup on top bun and mayo on both buns. For hot dog, mustard on one bun and ketchup on the other (unless it's a chili dog, and then no other condiments are needed :D).

I have a good friend who is originally from Chicago. He orders this gawd awful (my opinion) electric green pickle relish from a place in Chicago. He puts it on his hotdogs with mustard, celery salt, and a spicy, though not hot, yellow pepper; calls it a Chicago Dog. Raised in Southern California all I want on my hotdog is deli or yellow mustard and chopped onions. I, with some frequency, treat myself to lunch at COSTCO, a Polish dog (with deli mustard and chopped onion) and a drink for $1.50 – best lunch value around.

Archived