A straight couple's amazing transformation for their wedding!

marylander1940
This topic is 3499 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bosguy,

I am into the 5th month of a year long plan to lose 100 pounds and 5 pants sizes. I only weighed myself on day 1 and I will weigh myself on day 366 to see if I made it. I am wearing the middle hole on the third one of the six belts of different sizes I first hung over my bedroom chair on day 1. i do not measure my days by the daily weigh-in that programs such as Weight Watchers, but in the change in eating and exercise that needed to become a new lifestyle. Toward that end, I have a calendar on which I give myself a gold star for a successful day and a red check for days in which I wavered. So far, 4 red checks in 169 days or so. I never got many gold stars when I was a child, so perhaps, the gold stars are particularly effective rewards for me.

So Bosguy, my advice: start now. Change the way you eat and the way you shop and cook. Get a regimen that works for you and remain unwavering and resolute. Do not look at the daily vicissitudes and keep an eye on the long term.

Just today I looked down and found out i have 5 toes on each foot. Who knew?

It says he started thinking about this 18 months ago , but it doesn't say how long it took him to lose the 98 pounds. From what I understand, slower is usually better when it comes to being able to maintain the loss. If it took him a year, that's 2 pounds per week, which is viable. I hope they have a happy marriage and are able to stay healthy.

Bosguy,

I am into the 5th month of a year long plan to lose 100 pounds and 5 pants sizes. I only weighed myself on day 1 and I will weigh myself on day 366 to see if I made it. I am wearing the middle hole on the third one of the six belts of different sizes I first hung over my bedroom chair on day 1. i do not measure my days by the daily weigh-in that programs such as Weight Watchers, but in the change in eating and exercise that needed to become a new lifestyle. Toward that end, I have a calendar on which I give myself a gold star for a successful day and a red check for days in which I wavered. So far, 4 red checks in 169 days or so. I never got many gold stars when I was a child, so perhaps, the gold stars are particularly effective rewards for me.

So Bosguy, my advice: start now. Change the way you eat and the way you shop and cook. Get a regimen that works for you and remain unwavering and resolute. Do not look at the daily vicissitudes and keep an eye on the long term.

Good luck!!!!! and kudos to you for sticking to it.

ps - can you see your tallywacker yet? - that's the more important question! Esp. when you are excited!

Bosguy,

Fantastic work, PK! I think measuring in terms of lifestyle changes instead of pounds is the right way to go. And losing inches (holes on your belt) is what you're ultimately after in any case.

One thought: It sounds like you're doing extremely well on your own, but if you haven't yet, it might help to find some peopl, online or in person, whom you can turn to for support and vice versa.

I love the gold star idea; I may borrow it myself for another purpose.

Congratulations, purplekow. I understand. I am going through the same struggle. After a cardiac scare (just a scare luckily) I went on a diet and have lost over 50 pounds in five months. I made up my own diet, joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. Turns out my body has apparently been begging for 63 years for this as the pounds are coming off and I love the exercise routines (and the locker room). With me it comes down to will power and the desire to make something better for myself. I have lost six inches in my waist and I smile each time I buy smaller clothes. I am getting closer to my goal, but the lifestyle change is permanent.

May you be able to give yourself a gold star every day for the rest of your life.

ursalex

It says he started thinking about this 18 months ago , but it doesn't say how long it took him to lose the 98 pounds. From what I understand, slower is usually better when it comes to being able to maintain the loss. If it took him a year, that's 2 pounds per week, which is viable. I hope they have a happy marriage and are able to stay healthy.

My understanding after listening to the video is that he joined SlimmingWorld 18 months before the wedding and got to his goal right before the wedding, so that is about an average of 1-1/4 lbs/week. That is a very reasonable (and safe) weight loss rate.

I've been on a similar path as others in my efforts to lose weight and it is now at 1 year. As others have said, a change in lifestyle (with better and healthier eating habits and more exercise) is key to a slow and steady weight loss. It is no an exception rather than a rule to go grab something at a fast food joint. In 12 months I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten at one of those places.

Having reasonable expectations and not getting discouraged is critical. Similar but not exactly like PK, I avoided weighing myself too frequently as there are bound to be ups and downs, so I weigh myself monthly. I've also found some apps on my smartphone useful where I can track my activity level and also keep track of what I eat.

Purplekow, didn't you write a couple of weeks ago in a thread about crunchy and smooth peanut butter:

... you need to live while you are alive and if Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter with Bananas and Whipped Cream fills a happiness void, i say fuck healthy eating and risk the consequences of that self indulgence.

So which one is it? ;)

Congratulations PK... and for all of us 1-2 lb loss per week is the right way... it gives the skin over the fat a chance to shrink too... I too am back trying to shed some unwanted lbs. accumulated over a few years of dining out....so I know the struggle and as you have said, the gold stars do work as well as having friends to encourage you.

"One Day At A Time" PK! I started with 10 weeks of Weight Watchers and continued on my own to lose 70 pounds and 8" waist size in the past year. It's all about eating healthy and moderate exercise for me. Also needed to get in touch with all the feelings that came up. Best wishes to you - it's not luck - it's self awareness!

My understanding after listening to the video is that he joined SlimmingWorld 18 months before the wedding and got to his goal right before the wedding, so that is about an average of 1-1/4 lbs/week. That is a very reasonable (and safe) weight loss rate.

I've been on a similar path as others in my efforts to lose weight and it is now at 1 year. As others have said, a change in lifestyle (with better and healthier eating habits and more exercise) is key to a slow and steady weight loss. It is no an exception rather than a rule to go grab something at a fast food joint. In 12 months I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten at one of those places.

Congrats on your hard work and hope you're enjoying your slimmer body (even if your weight loss journey isn't finished yet).

I hadn't realized that he joined slimming world 18 months before the wedding. 1 pound a week is a very reasonable rate, especially for men, who lose weight faster than women.

Bosguy,

Congratulations!

Yinz will live longer and have better sex!

Archived