January Washington DC Forum Meetup

Keenan
This topic is 3362 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Chicago event was this past July, and was actually a success. The DC event has always been scheduled around MAL.

Sorry I missed that. I hadn't been treading these boards for a few months. I remember it was originally suggested for last September. Glad it was a success. And please keep us posted on DC!!!! Cheers!

The Washington events and the Palm Springs events and the most recent Chicago events have been organized by men who have dedicated considerable time and effort and likely some significant funding, to arrange, organize and promote the gatherings. It seems that you need an enthusiastic, dedicated and somewhat selfless host to do all the work which is needed to get these fiestas moving. These men were hosts looking for a party which is a much easier connection than a party looking for an unpaid host.

Thanks to the men who have done this in the past and kudos to anyone willing to take on this undertaking in the future.

The Washington events and the Palm Springs events and the most recent Chicago events have been organized by men who have dedicated considerable time and effort and likely some significant funding, to arrange, organize and promote the gatherings. It seems that you need an enthusiastic, dedicated and somewhat selfless host to do all the work which is needed to get these fiestas moving. These men were hosts looking for a party which is a much easier connection than a party looking for an unpaid host.

Thanks to the men who have done this in the past and kudos to anyone willing to take on this undertaking in the future.

This is oh, so true!

Guest countryboywny

The past DC events were all planned by my friend, LBT. I can tell you from experience, it takes a lot of work. PK has hit the nail on the head. Since LBT has retired from the forum, I'm pretty sure he has no interest in doing the planning again. If someone local to DC wishes to take up the charge, I would be happy to tell him what I know from past events. However, I think it's a bit unfair to expect Chris E. to do it. As I said, it takes a lot of time and effort. I hope the event succeeds without LBT, it works so well with MAL.

... past events have been organized by men who have dedicated considerable time and effort and likely some significant funding, to arrange, organize and promote the gatherings. It seems that you need an enthusiastic, dedicated and somewhat selfless host to do all the work.

Enthusiastic, dedicated and selfless gentlemen like Leigh.Bess.Toad are few and far between.

I also add a plus to the NYC idea. It may even be a slight bit easier. Being a way out of towner, I would hike to NYC in a flash. In addition, from what I have read on the forum, there are certain "clubs" and other activities participants could be lured into to enhance their time. Thus, making it somewhat less time consuming for the organizer(s)?

However, I think it's a bit unfair to expect Chris E. to do it.

I don't mind helping to plan something, but it's LBT's event. I would imagine he'll either give us a heads up on his intention to continue or to hand it over to other people eventually. We planned the Chicago event about 8 weeks in advance, so we can reassess at that time if we haven't heard anything.

This is one of LBT's last postings in the Forum about the Chicago meeting:

This isn't my party. Maybe my advice isn't wanted at all. And you all are certainly more than welcome to completely ignore me. But from my experience with organizing the DC luncheon and from attending PS multiple times, it works best if there are just a couple of hotels within close proximity of each other so that everyone can get together easier.

But then again, what do I know?

Far be it from me to presume, but forces that move LBT to leave are probably forces that would preclude his hosting this party. I have no idea why he left, and I do not recall his dropping any hints here as to what his motivation was in doing so, but my guess is, the forum is in his rearview mirror and that while an appearance at a DC party might be in LBT's future, hosting is not. By the way I am speculating out of my ass and could be totally off here.

Guest countryboywny
I presume somebody still here on the forum knows LBT well and will directly contact him simply to ask if he (LBT) wants to be the main planner for the January DC get-together or not for 2015

I know LBT very well. I will contact him and see what he's thinking. :)

Guest countryboywny
I know LBT very well. I will contact him and see what he's thinking. :)

Mission accomplished! LBT says he is "done" with planning the DC event. However, being the gentleman that he is, he offered to answer any questions that a prospective "planner" might have. He also told me that I could give his contact information to the person(s) who wish to pursue planning the event. For privacy reasons, I will not post the information, but feel free to PM me.

2014 marked my first foray into traveling to forum events. The DC luncheon my first and followed that with the Chicago adventure, both events I thought were a success. I plan on returning to DC in January, the MAL event will be held the weekend of 16-19 at the Hyatt again. http://www.leatherweekend.com/

So I am hoping that the DC luncheon would be held to coincide with the MAL. The Hyatt is a nice place especially with all the men and leather. There would be conveniences I am use to like trying to use an elevator or hotel restaurants. That said Men watching could make up for most that. I stayed at the Hotel George which was just up a couple of blocks from the Hyatt and only a couple of blocks from main train station which made it very convenient to travel around the city. The hotel had just finished a remodeling and l was very nice although with any remodeling there are always a few issues, unfortunately my room proved to be one of those casualties, funny to look back on now, frustrating at the time but would not prevent me from using it again. Leigh did a great job setting the luncheon up and managed to snag a place for dinner Friday evening and a get together Saturday.

Chicago was great too, with Chris and Dane setting up a great activity for Saturday afternoon and dinner that evening and brunch on Sunday.

If you are considering attending should someone take on the job, please give them your support and most of all be firm on your commitment to attend. While maybes are nice they do little to firm up a reservation number. DC is a busy city and it is a holiday weekend. Not easy to book events and places for groups without committed numbers. Add to complications it was also dining week in DC this past January too so there were more local people out to take advantage of some of the dining deals available.

Why attend meet people whose on line posts you have always wondered who they are in person. For gentlemen it is a nice place to meet prospective clients it might be a great time to have an ad out as well. I myself will be more available this time out. MAL is a nice event that I had the pleasure to attend on the arm of the very well informed Chris W of Seattle who educated me on many things I had no clue. I purchased my first real leather item and I am looking forward to wearing my harness for the event.

Again when the time comes please commit early if you can and ideas for activities will be greatly appreciated from both clients and gentlemen.

Far be it from me to presume, but forces that move LBT to leave are probably forces that would preclude his hosting this party. I have no idea why he left, and I do not recall his dropping any hints here as to what his motivation was in doing so, but my guess is, the forum is in his rearview mirror and that while an appearance at a DC party might be in LBT's future, hosting is not. By the way I am speculating out of my ass and could be totally off here.

Well, PK, as it turns out, your speculation was on the mark.

Archived