Obama's ISIS speech & its timing.

armadillo

His full speech here:

For me it was a bit uninspiring. He seemed tired and overwhelmed, of course who could blame him, but that being said, he did make it more clear as to why it appeared, on the surface at least, that he was not reacting to the ISIL threat sooner. We are dealing with a very cautious president, and on that at least I agree with his tempered response.

I think one of the biggest problems we face is an international community that is slow to react, more cautious than we are, and seems unwilling to get bloodied in a fight. Dollars and oil first....

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

I'm sure others will disagree but, personally, I couldn't be happier that Obama and Kerry are taking the time to think things through and line up support, particularly in the Middle East, before we start bombing folks.

I heard Dick Cheney caterwauling yesterday that the bombs should have started dropping long ago. It was his administration, remember, that invaded Iraq a decade earlier without spending even a minute to think about what should be done with the million-man Iraqi army. It was Richard Bremer, on his plane ride over to 'take charge' of Iraq, who decided they should be disbanded and left to fend for themselves. According to the Woodward/Bernstein books, the Bush administration said, "Oh, OK, hadn't thought much about it but that sounds pretty good." What a difference it would have made if we had kept even a tenth of that army intact. All they wanted was a little money, not ideology.

If we can't manage to get some skin in the game from the local players, many of whom have plenty of air power and boots on the ground, why in the world should we think we're going to 'succeed' solo, whatever that means?

Give me a thoughtful, inclusive strategy any day.

In the meantime, if Cheney wants to hurry up and get involved, I'd be happy to kick in for his plane ticket. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cheney_gun.jpg

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

I'm sure others will disagree but, personally, I couldn't be happier that Obama and Kerry are taking the time to think things through and line up support, particularly in the Middle East, before we start bombing folks.

I heard Dick Cheney caterwauling yesterday that the bombs should have started dropping long ago. It was his administration, remember, that invaded Iraq a decade earlier without spending even a minute to think about what should be done with the million-man Iraqi army. It was Richard Bremer, on his plane ride over to 'take charge' of Iraq, who decided they should be disbanded and left to fend for themselves. According to the Woodward/Bernstein books, the Bush administration said, "Oh, OK, hadn't thought much about it but that sounds pretty good." What a difference it would have made if we had kept even a tenth of that army intact. All they wanted was a little money, not ideology.

If we can't manage to get some skin in the game from the local players, many of whom have plenty of air power and boots on the ground, why in the world should we think we're going to 'succeed' solo, whatever that means?

In the meantime, if Cheney wants to hurry up and get involved, I'd be happy to kick in for his plane ticket.

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cheney_gun.jpg

And there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9t53sGIb0

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Yep. After 8 years of "READY! FIRE! AIM!", with no strategy up front, no particular goal, and no exit strategy, I'm happy to have someone in the White House who is taking a considered approach.

If there had been more considering before we invaded Iraq in the first place we might not have been at war for more than a decade for nebulous reasons and we might not be dealing with ISIL today.

Yep. After 8 years of "READY! FIRE! AIM!", with no strategy up front, no particular goal, and no exit strategy, I'm happy to have someone in the White House who is taking a considered approach.

If there had been more considering before we invaded Iraq in the first place we might not have been at war for more than a decade for nebulous reasons and we might not be dealing with ISIL today.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. Unfortunately Obama doesn't seem to relate to people well- at least not by mass media. (I'm not saying Shrub is particularly good at it either). But for someone who really electrified the masses on campaign- he seems very unimpassioned now. Take for example the first beheading with Foley. He may have said he was outraged- but where was the emotional content to go along with that? And it was an incredible public relations faux pas to continue on his vacation and be photographed playing golf. I mean an American citizen was BEHEADED. He needed to show more emotional outrage. I know the presidency is a difficult job. I would never want it. But there is a time to show calm cool passion and a time to show emotion.

Gman

Gman

In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, The Great Gazoo is always right!!!!

It was Richard Bremer . . .

Paul Bremer that is.

Just re-watched a terrific Frontline episode on how we lost Iraq. In addition to disbanding the Iraqi army (300,000 strong, not a million as I had thought, but all disaffected and all carrying their guns), Bremer also de-Baathified the Iraqi government. Problem is, the Baathists were the only ones who knew how to run the government.

When we pulled troops and most embassy staff in 2011, we had little insight that Prime Minister al-Maliki was replacing Sunni commanders who knew how to run the army with Shiite commanders who did not. No wonder the Iraqi army melted away when faced with well-trained ISIS troops.

However long it takes, it seems to me that we need to become part of a coalition that consists primarily of Middle Eastern countries that share as many of our goals as possible, as long as eliminating terrorism is shared by all.

In my opinion, those politicians who believe that the United States should, or can, act alone are refusing to learn from experience.

'If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever made it.' - Tom Lehrer

• 2 weeks later...

At $356 million a copy, the Raptor better be good.

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon's most advanced fighter plane made its combat debut in the U.S.-led strikes on Syria,serving a crucial purpose for a sensitive mission that depended on stealth.

Pilots flying the F-22 Raptor flew bombing runs over Syria to target the militant Islamic State group, U.S. officials said.

Officials didn't say what targets the F-22 struck, but said it was used later in the series of strikes, which lasted several hours.

The plane is one of the country's most expensive—the F-22 program has cost $67 billion and only 188 planes have been built—but U.S. policy makers have been reluctant to use it in combat, in part because its high-end capabilities weren't needed for militant threats that the U.S. has been focused on for the past decade.

"The ultimate decision being made—that we are to use this aircraft against an adversary—is a unique and momentous decision for the United States Air Force," said an Air Force official.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/in-syria-pentagons-f-22-fighter-plane-makes-first-combat-appearance-1411477246?KEYWORDS=raptor

"I ain't here for a long time, I am here for a good time" George Strait

"It's the War Economy, Stupid"

Powerful, straight forward, decisive. A different President than we had seen previously. Yes it might be the "war economy" but ISIS is a threat to whole world. I don't see another option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIwdug75C8

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

And now we have a French tourist beheaded in response to France's military action and first air strikes against ISIS in Iraq last Friday.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/24/french-tourist-beheaded-algeria-isis-linked-jihadis

Yes, and it happened in Algeria -- a country that has remained fairly isolated from this madness until now. This part of the story gets left out all too often in discussions I've seen/heard today. This beheading happened in a different country, done by a different group, which is an important part of the story. Low-information voters (which is the majority) will hear "another beheading" and not know the rest of it.

1. Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,

with the cross of Jesus going on before.

Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;

forward into battle see his banners go!

Refrain:

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,

with the cross of Jesus going on before.

2. At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee;

on then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!

Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;

brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.

(Refrain)

3. Like a mighty army moves the church of God;

brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.

We are not divided, all one body we,

one in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

(Refrain)

4. Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,

but the church of Jesus constant will remain.

Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;

we have Christ's own promise, and that cannot fail.

(Refrain)

5. Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,

blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.

Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King,

this through countless ages men and angels sing.

(Refrain)

http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh575.sht

"I ain't here for a long time, I am here for a good time" George Strait