Fox News, lacking class for 2 decades now.

armadillo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/09/08/fox-friends-will-address-ray-rice-stairs-comments-on-tuesdays-show/

"" Yet what happened on “Fox & Friends” this morning bucks the normal back-and-forth between cable news and its critics. In a segment on the latest news regarding Ray Rice’s assault of his then-girlfriend in the elevator of an Atlantic City hotel, co-hosts Brian Kilmeade and Steve Doocy traded jokes about the lessons of the episode, which was captured on a videotape published by TMZ.

“I think the message is, take the stairs,” said co-host Brian Kilmeade, to which fellow co-host Steve Doocy replied in the same spirit, “The message is when you’re in an elevator, there’s a camera.” ""

"I ain't here for a long time, I am here for a good time" George Strait

There are many things that I find disturbing about the spin that Fox & Friends decided to do on this story. Of course there is the obvious, but further I find it just as disturbing that despite being knocked out in the elevator, then fiancée Janay Palmer goes through with the marriage, and today comes out to defend her husband, saying it is the media looking for ratings that is fueling these reports, and trying to destroy her family.

Is it any wonder that Fox & Friends, the NFL, and the Ravens virtually look the other way on domestic abuse. Yes, there is a lot of blame to go around here, and it certainly shouldn't stop with Fox & Friends. Yes Fox knows better, or at least they should, but so does the NFL, the Ravens, and Janay Palmer herself. They all deserve each other.

Still you have to laugh that TMZ is able to obtain footage, that the NFL and the Ravens seemed shocked even existed.

the greatest beauty is

Organic wholeness, the wholeness of life and things,

the divine beauty of the universe.

Love that, not man apart from that,

or else you will share man’s pitiful confusions,

or drown in despair when his days darken."

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Of course there is the obvious, but further I find it just as disturbing that despite being knocked out in the elevator, then fiancée Janay Palmer goes through with the marriage, and today comes out to defend her husband, saying it is the media looking for ratings that is fueling these reports, and trying to destroy her family.

http://www.domesticviolence.org/cycle-of-violence/

Out of all the offenses that FOX 'News' has put out there over the years, I don't understand why this particular exchange is getting so much attention. Isn't it the exact reaction one would expect of them?

Yes.

And every script is 'approved' before being thrown on the teleprompter. Just like Shep Smith's "coward" comment on Robin Williams, there is some calculus done on ratings vs. negative reaction / fallout.

All publicity is good publicity, and you know the Fox Neanderthals are lapping up the current comments.

I am extremely uncomfortable with blaming Janay Palmer Rice here.

Why I Hate Writing About Janay Rice (Cosmo - honestly, I dislike Cosmo on general principle; this is probably the first sensible thing they've published in a long time) - Roxane Gay (known for her essays and her book Bad Feminist) writes: We demonstrate so little empathy or kindness for women in abusive relationships. We don't want to hear real stories about what it's like endure such relationships. We don't want to hear how love and fear and pride and shame shape the decisions we make in abusive relationships. We don't want to hear the truth because it is too complicated. We leave these women with nowhere to go. We force them into silence and invisibility unless they make the choices we want them to make. She also notes that "a woman is most at risk after she leaves an abusive partner."

In addition, although this is not the way this story usually plays out, it is theoretically possible for abuse, particularly minor and more occasional (or even one-time), to stop. I was startled recently to discover the actor Lou Diamond Phillips, whom I've admired for many years, pled no contest in 2006 to domestic battery charges stemming from a fight with his then live-in girlfriend. Her injuries -- scrapes to her knees -- were nowhere near as extensive as Janay Rice's, and he was sentenced to probation, counseling, and community service. Most notably, he and his girlfriend married in 2007 while he was still on probation, and they remain married to this day and have a child. No further charges have been filed or, as far as I know, allegations made. So it looks like that story has a happy ending.

Also, every time someone watches the video, it's as if Janel Palmer Rice is assaulted all over again. In terms of invading someone else's privacy, it's not much different from clicking on the photos that were stolen from celebrities' iCloud accounts or slowing down to rubberneck at a car wreck or other example of someone else's misfortune.

The Revictimizing of Janay Rice (The Nation)

Also, I suspect the reason the NFL and the Ravens were shocked that this footage existed and became public is because TMZ obtained it illegitimately (as in money changed hands so TMZ could obtain a piece of shocking clickbait footage it wouldn't otherwise have access to.) So yes, I think TMZ is in the wrong here in making the video public. In my opinion, the only legitimate place for this footage is the police department and DA's office in Atlantic City, but I'm not sure investigating is useful if Janay Rice doesn't want to cooperate. As frustrating as it may be to the rest of us, it's her life, she's an adult, and she should be the one to make decisions about it, not the rest of us.

While it isn't as though stooping this low is out of Fox News' purview or that of other, less ideological news organizations -- look at the criticism CNN received for its coverage of the sentencing of the defendants in the Steubenville rape case -- domestic violence is an issue on which there is more of a consensus and less of a liberal/conservative blue/state red state divide. That's what makes this surprising. Yes, those Rush Limbaugh calls "feminazis" (I'd probably qualify) have a particular take on it, but it's not as though domestic violence is unknown within the wealthy white households the Fox News type of view privileges or the lower middle class working class and small business owner mid-country conservative whites that probably form the backbone of Fox News' viewership.

Nobody's free until everybody's free - Fannie Lou Hamer

Avatar courtesy of Chomiji; character drawn by Kazuya Minekura

Excellent links QTR, and certainly it is important to listen to the perspective of others. In the end, I must say I am hardly convinced that Janay Palmer is quite the victim others say she is. In my view, she most certainly bears responsibility. To say that this was probably the first time he hit her, or her him, would be naive. If you look at the video, she reaches out an slaps him before they enter the elevator. Obviously his over reaction is "despicable", but to then go through with the marriage, and now her blaming the media for all of this, just perplexing. I would love to give her the benefit of the doubt, but where is the argument to support that? In the end, I agree, it's her life, she's an adult, and it is her making those decisions, which was my point from the start.

As far as TMZ is concerned, the NFL and the Ravens knew full well that something went terribly wrong in the elevator. The doors open and she is out cold on the floor, face down, there were witnesses that showed up before he attempted to pick her up, and people are suggesting that the NFL or the Ravens, with all their resources didn't think for one minute that perhaps what happened in the elevator was of any importance. Both turned their backs, "out of sight, out of mind" because Rice was a valuable piece of property. Say what you will about TMZ, but they are not the cause of this, or should they be blamed. You want to cold cock your fiancée in an elevator, you suffer the consequences. I may not be politically correct here, but that's how I see it.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

I couldn't edit this, so my correction is: Janay Palmer bears "SOME" of the responsibility.

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e

Excellent links QTR, and certainly it is important to listen to the perspective of others. In the end, I must say I am hardly convinced that Janay Palmer is quite the victim others say she is. In my view, she most certainly bears responsibility. To say that this was probably the first time he hit her, or her him, would be naive. If you look at the video, she reaches out an slaps him before they enter the elevator. Obviously his over reaction is "despicable", but to then go through with the marriage, and now her blaming the media for all of this, just perplexing. I would love to give her the benefit of the doubt, but where is the argument to support that? In the end, I agree, it's her life, she's an adult, and it is her making those decisions, which was my point from the start.

As far as TMZ is concerned, the NFL and the Ravens knew full well that something went terribly wrong in the elevator. The doors open and she is out cold on the floor, face down, there were witnesses that showed up before he attempted to pick her up, and people are suggesting that the NFL or the Ravens, with all their resources didn't think for one minute that perhaps what happened in the elevator was of any importance. Both turned their backs, "out of sight, out of mind" because Rice was a valuable piece of property. Say what you will about TMZ, but they are not the cause of this, or should they be blamed. You want to cold cock your fiancée in an elevator, you suffer the consequences. I may not be politically correct here, but that's how I see it.

And today this....So now they knew about the footage, and asked for it, but were unable to obtain it?

the greatest beauty is

- Robinson Jeffers

B e l i e v e