Google voice & texting

tsgarp
This topic is 3509 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I understand how Google voice works from the perspective of a a phone call but when it comes to texting back and forth can anyone give me a quick tutorial? Mostly curious to know if I return an incoming text, which number will appear on the receiver's device - my Google number or my real mobile number?

Probably depends on whether you are using a smart or dumb phone. I'll let the smarties reply about their phones, but for dummies, if you reply back directly, your primary cell number will show. For the gv# to appear, you need to launch the phone's web browser, log into your gv acct, and use the reply text function. Many times when someone texts my gv#, I grab my handy tablet, logon to gv, and use it to reply and text because it's easier, larger screen, etc.

If you're concerned, do a test with someone you know. Tell 'em your testing new phone features.

As for gv texting, it sucks. It often takes texts, chops them up, and delivers them out of sequence.

There is an iPhone App called Google Voice. When I want to use my Google Voice Number either to text (in texts and out texts show up under the Google Voice #) or call, I open up that App. There is one option on Google Voice that I don't understand. It's called Click2Call. But I have it turned off. So it doesn't matter.

Gman

Archived