Martina Navratilova proposes to long time gf on US open.

marylander1940
This topic is 3512 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The real news at US Open was the overthrow of both Roger & Novak yesterday!

I am rooting for Nishikori in Men's Final, totally sweet kid. (BTW, he is first Asian man to book a spot in a Grand Slam singles championship match)

http://us.cdn281.fansshare.com/photos/keinishikori/kei-nishikori-nude-wallpaper-1051373223.jpg

Nothing against Michael Chang, or you Mr. Draker, Roland Garros is not a Grand Slam.

""The Grand Slam tournaments, also called Majors, are the four most important annual tennis events. They offer the most ranking points,[1] prize money, and public and media attention; the greatest strength and size of field; and greater number of "best of" sets for men. The Grand Slam itinerary consists of the Australian Open in mid January, the French Open in May/June, Wimbledon in June/July, and the US Open in August/September. Each tournament is played over a period of two weeks. The Australian and US tournaments are played on hard courts, the French on clay, and Wimbledon on grass. Wimbledon is the oldest, founded in 1877, followed by the US in 1881, the French in 1891, and the Australian in 1905. However, of these four, only Wimbledon was a major before 1924/25, the time when all four became designated Grand Slam tournaments.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(tennis)

I stand (some what) corrected, thank you Mr. Draker. Chang is an Asian-American, where Nishikori is "Full-Asian", I think that is what trying to convey.

""Michael Te-Pei Chang is an American tennis player. He became the youngest male player to win a Grand Slam singles title when he won the French Open in 1989 at the age of 17 years and 4 months."" Wikipedia

Nothing against Michael Chang, or you Mr. Draker, Roland Garros is not a Grand Slam.

""The Grand Slam tournaments, also called Majors, are the four most important annual tennis events. They offer the most ranking points,[1] prize money, and public and media attention; the greatest strength and size of field; and greater number of "best of" sets for men. The Grand Slam itinerary consists of the Australian Open in mid January, the French Open in May/June, Wimbledon in June/July, and the US Open in August/September. Each tournament is played over a period of two weeks. The Australian and US tournaments are played on hard courts, the French on clay, and Wimbledon on grass. Wimbledon is the oldest, founded in 1877, followed by the US in 1881, the French in 1891, and the Australian in 1905. However, of these four, only Wimbledon was a major before 1924/25, the time when all four became designated Grand Slam tournaments.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(tennis)

"Roland Garros" IS a Grand Slam: it is the name of the stadium in which the French Open is played, and is often used as a shorthand term for that tournament.

Some of you would remember Michael Chang at Roland Garros in 1989 and his signature "underarm serve" (service à la cuillère). :cool:

[video=dailymotion;x1pc684]

He was spotted in the public at U.S. Open last night.[/color]

"Spotted in the public" is an understatement: he is Nishikori's coach, so he sits in the player's box, and the camera has been on him constantly throughout the tournament. He is a native born American of Chinese ancestry, so it is somewhat notable that he is coaching a Japanese player.

Seems like only yesterday it was Judy Nelson. We both know how that worked out. Lol

~Boomer~

Shouldn’t a proposal of marriage be somewhat private and intimate? Why do some people make their personal lives so public? Do celebrities confuse their fans with their friends? If the relationship doesn’t work out, they’ll be asking for everyone to respect their privacy…

Congratulations to Martina, whose style of play and personality I've always liked.

As for serial-monogamy lesbians, it's been my observation that the vast majority of people engage in serial monogamy, affairs, or open relationships/polyamory irrespective of their sexual orientation, though gay men may lean more toward open relationships/polyamory than other groups and straights toward serial monogamy and affairs. What's the problem here then?

Given that Martina has (as far as I know) stayed out of the papers and gossip columns with relationship drama for awhile now and (from what I remember) six years is longer than some of the past relationships of hers that have blown up (I'm thinking mainly of those with Rita Mae Brown and Judy Nelson), maybe she's learned something from failed past relationships.

"Spotted in the public" is an understatement: he is Nishikori's coach, so he sits in the player's box, and the camera has been on him constantly throughout the tournament.

And the real tennis fan has spoken ! ;)

Thanks for the clarification, Charlie. I glimpsed Michael Chang very briefly in the news, as I don't really watch the tournament.

Congrats on Nishikori for his ongoing success!

Archived