A Defining Question For Our Era-Crunchy Or Smooth?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2221 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You remind me of one of my (extremely fit, 25 year-old) Belgian nephews. He puts mayo on just about everything.

Ah, those terrible Belgians who eat Fries with mayo. Sacrilegium! :rolleyes:

There really isn't any evidence I've heard of that salt is harmful to those without high blood pressure, heart disease, or kidney disease.

With all due respect, my ophthalmologist tells me that salt is also bad for the vision.

I don't agree that with the above slide that one needs to limit the amount of TOTAL fat in one's diet. There is no evidence that fat other than saturated or trans-fat are bad for you.

There should be an equilibrium in the ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fat in one's diet.

http://ielts-simon.com/.a/6a0120a5bb05d8970c015392ea56f7970b-800wi

http://johnbarban.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/FoodGroups1.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, my ophthalmologist tells me that salt is also bad for the vision.

There should be an equilibrium in the ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fat in one's diet.

Sorry, but "someone said something" is really not evidence of anything. Somebody said I'd go blind if I kept jacking off, yet other than some presbyopia my vision is just fine, and I am clearly a master baiter. I would be actually stunned if you can even find a case-control study, let alone a randomized clinic trial, which suggests that salt intake causes vision loss. Most sports activities require energy use, so that's why most athletes should have a high-carbohydrate diet in order to be successful. What's good for Michael Phelps isn't what's good for Joe Blow-job. There was a study in JAMA in 2005 which compared low-carb/high-fat diets such as Atkins with low-fat/high carb diets such as Ornish. Much to the surprise of many in the dietician community, outcomes were essentially the same in all groups, not just in terms of weight loss, but also with respect to cholesterol levels, glucose, and so on. I usually recommend something along the lines of the South Beach Diet, which emphasizes whole grains instead of simple carbohydrates, and replacing saturated and trans fats with unsaturated fats, especially mono-unsaturated fats. Much dogma, but here's the actual science:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=200094

Salt and Vision Problems

Speaking of salt and your eyes, there is much evidence to implicate salt in causing vision problems. The eyes, after all, are part of your body, and they can be affected by the bloating resulting from salt intake as much as other tissues. When this bloating from salt (edema) occurs in the eye, the alignment of the eye's internal components may be thrown off resulting in errors of refraction. Although surgeon's can correct some of these alignment problems by cutting and flattening the cornea, this does not address the cause of the cornea's swelling (corneal edema), which may result from salt water bloating within the eye. Researchers have induced edema in the cornea of laboratory animals by soaking the removed cornea in a salt solution. Research also showed that cataract formation, a clouding of the lens, was positively associated with salt intake (Cumming, 2000).

China, Japan, and other Asian countries have the highest consumption of dietary salt in the world, and these countries also have the highest prevalence of nearsightedness, or myopia. Primitive populations within Africa, Brazil, and other areas with low salt intake do not have high reported rates of myopia. Studies of the traditional hunter/gatherer diet of Eskimos showed that myopia increased in younger generations of Eskimos who began to eat a Western diet, which included more salt. The Journal of the American Medical Association reported back in 1947 that vision improved in patients who followed a low-salt Rice Diet developed by Kempner.

The body contains sodium-potassium pumps within most of the cell membranes that help to eliminate excessive amounts of sodium. However, these pumps can only achieve their objective of maintaining the proper concentration of intracellular sodium when they are not overloaded with a continual heavy intake of salt.

source: http://www.bodyfatguide.com/HowSaltAffectsYourBody.htm

Salt and Vision Problems

Speaking of salt and your eyes, there is much evidence to implicate salt in causing vision problems. The eyes, after all, are part of your body, and they can be affected by the bloating resulting from salt intake as much as other tissues. When this bloating from salt (edema) occurs in the eye, the alignment of the eye's internal components may be thrown off resulting in errors of refraction. Although surgeon's can correct some of these alignment problems by cutting and flattening the cornea, this does not address the cause of the cornea's swelling (corneal edema), which may result from salt water bloating within the eye. Researchers have induced edema in the cornea of laboratory animals by soaking the removed cornea in a salt solution. Research also showed that cataract formation, a clouding of the lens, was positively associated with salt intake (Cumming, 2000).

China, Japan, and other Asian countries have the highest consumption of dietary salt in the world, and these countries also have the highest prevalence of nearsightedness, or myopia. Primitive populations within Africa, Brazil, and other areas with low salt intake do not have high reported rates of myopia. Studies of the traditional hunter/gatherer diet of Eskimos showed that myopia increased in younger generations of Eskimos who began to eat a Western diet, which included more salt. The Journal of the American Medical Association reported back in 1947 that vision improved in patients who followed a low-salt Rice Diet developed by Kempner.

Sorry, none of these studies is even a case-control study (which at least would show correlation, although not causation). A study in which lab animals' corneas are soaked in salt obviously is almost completely irrelevant to the discussion. The statement that the Cumming study showed that cataract formation "was positively associated with salt intake" is a simple falsehood, completely untrue. The study's conclusion was "The nucleus of the lens is particularly sensitive to nutrient deficiencies. Protein, vitamin A, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin protected against nuclear cataract in this study." It had nothing to do whatsoever with salt intake, which gives you an idea of the honesty of anyone stating it showed anything about salt intake and vision (you gotta pay attention to your sources):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10711880

Epidemiological studies can be a basis for further research, but never prove anything. There are many differences between Eskimos, Africans, and Japanese other than their salt intake. It's wildly speculative to assume that it's the salt intake which is responsible. Night-lights have also been associated with near-sightedness.

Speaking of salt and your eyes, there is much evidence to implicate salt in causing vision problems. The eyes, after all, are part of your body, and they can be affected by the bloating resulting from salt intake as much as other tissues. When this bloating from salt (edema) occurs in the eye, the alignment of the eye's internal components may be thrown off resulting in errors of refraction.

By the way, cells actually swell in low-salt environments and shrink in high-salt environments:

http://www.allthingsdiscussed.com/images/Types-of-solutions.png

That's why a contestant in a Sacramento radio show water-drinking contest died. She drank excessive water without compensatory salt intake. The cells in her brain got swollen, and she herniated her brain through her skull.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.VBU1Afk7uHY

• 3 years later...
Take two slices of bread, spread some peanut butter on it and add some some lettuce.

Option: You can add mayonnaise or white cheese.

Bon Appétit ! :)

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/00/05/85/58545.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VYeSiA5H1Ls/S9zvdjuE1iI/AAAAAAAAAHY/XRdgjEsuwFI/s320/IMG_6413.JPG

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Peanut-Butter,-Lettuce,-and-Cheese-Sandwich

When I was small I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with processed cheese and then mayo or when really daring, spicy mustard on the cheese. Your taste buds will thank you.

WOW- now that I remember this thread (cf the Chicken and Waffles Thread from March 2018) it’s difficult to believe I posted it 3-1/2 years ago. I would have thought it was much more recent.

I also can’t believe no one alerted me to the misspelling I made in the title “A Defining Question For Our Era-Crunchy Or Smootth?.”

Well I’ve corrected the mistake. Now this thread will be able live on into the future and can hold its title high among the best of Forum Thread Titles!!!

Gman

WOW- now that I remember this thread (cf the Chicken and Waffles Thread from March 2018) it’s difficult to believe I posted it 3-1/2 years ago. I would have thought it was much more recent.

I also can’t believe no one alerted me to the misspelling I made in the title “A Defining Question For Our Era-Crunchy Or Smootth?.”

Well I’ve corrected the mistake. Now this thread will be able live on into the future and can hold its title high among the best of Forum Thread Titles!!!

Gman

Wait a minute! You were asking about smooth, not smootth, peanut butter? Well, hell, that changes everything.

Interestingly today I made my bimonthly trek across town to visit a natural food store where you are able to grind your own fresh peanut butter. I would never by the processed stuff from a jar! Read the ingredients... and like most processed foods it's loaded with junk... Well that's just the way that I am... and I'm not only that way with peanut butter either... At any rate, in my estimation it's the only way to go. Plus, it tastes like fresh roasted peanuts that you would nibble on at the ball park! It does not get much better than that! Still others might actually prefer the taste if the jar variety with it's added sugar, salt, and whatever else. Heck if that's your thing...enjoy!

Incidentally, in a recent thread I mentioned that Publix in Florida etc. sells freshly ground peanut butter in their deli department. It kind of takes the fun out of grinding it yourself, but it is quite yummy as well. So when I'm down south that the route that I take.

...and to think that when I was in high school I loved sandwiches made with Skippy and crushed potato chips!!!! Those days are long over!!!!!

PS: Forgot to mention... The freshly ground stub is SMOOTH all the way!

Just wondering what you use it for whipped?!