A Defining Question For Our Era-Crunchy Or Smooth?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2220 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bowl of almonds and walnuts within my reach. Better for me.

Ditto Wisconsinguy. I keep almonds and walnuts on hand, and use them as a snack over a jar of peanut butter, however, if the mood should strike me, I like almost any brand of all natural peanut butter. I simply stir the oil in, and then refrigerate.

I have a bowl of almonds and walnuts within my reach. Better for me.

Ditto Wisconsinguy. I keep almonds and walnuts on hand, and use them as a snack over a jar of peanut butter, however, if the mood should strike me, I like almost any brand of all natural peanut butter. I simply stir the oil in, and then refrigerate.

Good choice! Sometimes I put mixed nuts (UNSALTED) in my daily salad. I'm not a fan of greasy peanuts.

I commend all three of you guys for doing the NUT thing... I always have some nuts on hand... and especially walnuts. I love almonds as well, but they have been known to crack a tooth or two or three so I tread more gingerly with them. At any rate, both are a great source of omega 3... the perfect balance to the omega 6 found in peanuts.

In any event, to all you NUTTY guys... Remember that you can't spell NUTS without a "U" in it!!! Welcome to the club and enjoy!

I commend all three of you guys for doing the NUT thing... I always have some nuts on hand... and especially walnuts. I love almonds as well, but they have been known to crack a tooth or two or three so I tread more gingerly with them. At any rate, both are a great source of omega 3... the perfect balance to the omega 6 found in peanuts.

In any event, to all you NUTTY guys... Remember that you can't spell NUTS without a "U" in it!!! Welcome to the club and enjoy!

U need to b careful with those dentures!!!

I love almonds. The fact that they are covered with dark chocolate (good for the heart) and kept in the freezer makes them oh so much better!

Good choice! Sometimes I put mixed nuts (UNSALTED) in my daily salad. I'm not a fan of greasy peanuts.[/color]

http://blog.keranique.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/01-09-13-Mixed-nuts.jpg

Well said SD, better that instead of this.

http://www.pitch.com/imager/the-view-gives-paula-deen-the-smackdown/b/original/2549870/edef/paula.deen.092809.jpg

Am I the only one who is allergic to peanuts? I've been that way since I was a young child.

~Boomer~

Never had a food allergy. Have a neighbor with a ton of food allergies. I keep one of her epi pens in my house just in case as well. She has a brain allergy to needles. Peanuts are one of her big ones.l

Um, duh. That's the label from non-natural, pre-sweetened peanut butter. Why don't you have some Nutella while you're at it?

Looking at the label of my organic creamy peanut butter I see 200 calories, 16 grams of fat (4 of which are saturated), 85 mg of sodium, 6 grams of carbs, 2 grams of sugars, and 2 grams of dietary fiber. As you can see, not much difference. Processed food is processed food, whether you buy it at Whole Foods Market or Safeway.

You can always throw a cup of almonds (or peanuts) into a food processor and make your own almond butter. It is delicious. In fact, after the latest recall of jarred almond butter, I think I will whip up a batch tomorrow morning.

Maybe u need to see ur dentist to get a better fit? R
Actually no dentures here yet, lest anyone get the wrong idea... However, one of my goals in life is to experience someone taking their dentures out for my pleasure... Perhaps it will happen when I'm put out to pasture in the Shady Grove Home for the Sexually Deranged! I hope I have enough marbles left to know what's going on.

I love almonds. The fact that they are covered with dark chocolate (good for the heart) and kept in the freezer makes them oh so much better!

The combo of the Omega 3 in the almonds plus all the benefits of dark chocolate is a good thing... Just the dark chocolate alone has antioxidants, increases blood flow for heart and circulatory health, vitamins and minerals, plus a chemical that helps put you in a good mood... The freezer thing is a dental disaster waiting to happen... and especially since dark chocolate contains theobromine which can supposedly protect tooth and harden tooth enamel... So why live so dangerously??? Room temperature is the way yo go... And even better would be dark chocolate covered walnuts.

However, then again we are dealing with funguy here... Who is always playing right on the edge... and just can't control himself... he always wants and needs the whole enchilada... wants his cake and wants to eat it too...

Sorry, for the detour... But perhaps almond butter... as opposed to peanut butter is the way to go... and that would help those who are allergic to peanuts as well as those with potential dental issues...

Am I the only one who is allergic to peanuts? I've been that way since I was a young child.

Luckily, no food or drug allergies here.

A few years ago I was flying Southwest when the flight attendants had to suspend snack service, as it turned out that one passengers was allergic to peanuts. I wasn't aware that a food allergy would cause such drastic measures. :)

What do you do when peanuts are served on your flight, BabyBoomer?

I commend all three of you guys for doing the NUT thing... I always have some nuts on hand... and especially walnuts. I love almonds as well, but they have been known to crack a tooth or two or three so I tread more gingerly with them. At any rate, both are a great source of omega 3... the perfect balance to the omega 6 found in peanuts

The solution to that WG, although a more pricey one, is to buy the ones that are whole blanched and/or slivered. The Almonds are soft and so can be enjoyed without the fear of a cracked tooth. You do lose some of the nutrients by eliminating the skin, and by the process of blanching as well, but they are still very nutritious and well worth eating, and better than the pain and for some the expense of a chip toothed.

BUT I LIKE IT!!!!

I always make sure that the chocolate is thin and the nuts don't really get that hard. Its the coldness that contributes to the enjoyment.

Now, almond butter, add some chocolate swirls, and we're in business. YES, I confess. I'm a chocoholic, all my life. To show my depravity, when i'm desperate, I will even eat light chocolate! Save me please!

Its the coldness that contributes to the enjoyment.

That's the way I feel about Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. The antioxidants in the dried blueberries and the dark chocolate are good for you (oh, stop snickering!) and when you store them in the freezer? BOOM.

It only takes a couple of them to feel TREATED.

Natural, crunchy for me hands down.

Costco had the best I ever ate, under their Kirkland label, but it was withdrawn for salmonella a couple of weeks after I polished off my last jar. The company that made it for them was based in New Mexico where, I understand, the best Valencia peanuts are grown. Even though the company cleaned up their plant, Costco let them go bankrupt two years ago and I've given up ever finding a peanut butter as good. The current Costco product has half the flavor of the old one.

(Still, the worst peanut butter I ever had was pretty good. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif )

Question for you nutritionists: The organic stuff always has a layer of peanut oil on top and I've been pouring off half of it before mixing the remainder back in. I creates a thicker, tastier, product with less oil but I'm wondering if I'm throwing away some good nutrition. What say you?

Thanks for any insights.

Natural, crunchy for me hands down.

Costco had the best I ever ate, under their Kirkland label, but it was withdrawn for salmonella a couple of weeks after I polished off my last jar. The company that made it for them was based in New Mexico where, I understand, the best Valencia peanuts are grown. Even though the company cleaned up their plant, Costco let them go bankrupt two years ago and I've given up ever finding a peanut butter as good. The current Costco product has half the flavor of the old one.

(Still, the worst peanut butter I ever had was pretty good. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif )

Question for you nutritionists: The organic stuff always has a layer of peanut oil on top and I've been pouring off half of it before mixing the remainder back in. I creates a thicker, tastier, product with less oil but I'm wondering if I'm throwing away some good nutrition. What say you?

Thanks for any insights.

I had the opposite effect when I poured out some of the oil. It created a hardened mess that didn't have half the flavor as the original jar. From what I understand, yes it is fat, but it is the good fat. Personally I hated the flavor. I just put the jar on the shelf upside down, and let it mix through. Then I open it, stir and refrigerate. Either way, I would think that you can benefit from a nutritional stand point, with or without half the oil.

Peanuts are rich in omega 6 fatty acids which the body needs. However, they must be balanced with omega 3 fatty acids which are found in walnuts and almonds. That is why this discussion has focused on the other nuts as well. It's a balancing act, but a tasty one! So to get the protein and the good fat one needs to eat the whole enchilada... Or rather nut... And that includes the oil... but not just peanuts... a variety of nuts.

Also, as I mentioned above when freshly ground it takes a while for the oil to separate out...